WotC Who should be the next President of WotC?

Who should be the next President of WotC?

• Ed Greenwood

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Jeff Grubs

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Erin M. Evans

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A MBA already working at Hasbro

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • An MBA external to Hasbro

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • A creative type external to Hasbro

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Ray Winninger

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Mark Rosewater

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Tracy Hickman

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Lady Gaga

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Sydney Sweeney

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • Mike Mearls

Votes: 4 6.2%

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
He probably wouldn't want it. Did he not originally leave because he no longer had the control to which he was accustomed previous to the Hasbro buyout? WotC - Peter Adkison: A Letter on Leaving WotC
Things are quite different now. WotC runs Hasbro, for example.
Also, he's still more qualified to run a billion dollar business unit that thrives on a CCG than someone who wrote novels based on D&D

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I don’t know. G.K. was a grognard before it was cool, so I’m not sure he’s the best choice to run WotC.
It was a reference to an apocryphal (but very likely*) letter he allegedly sent to a publication (usually claimed as The Times) when they asked for various luminaries to send in a few hundred words on the question, "What's wrong with the world today?"

Allegedly, his reply was, in its entirety,

Dear sirs,

I am.

Yours sincerely,
G.K. Chesterton

*Unlike most apocryphal attestations, this one is never attributed to anyone but Chesterton, has a very rough consensus as having occurred in the first or second decade of the 20th century, varies only in the order of the fifth and sixth words (sometimes "Sincerely yours" but usually "Yours sincerely"), and is quite consonant with both the wit and the substance of Chesterton's writing. Notably, he did in fact write an actual book, What's Wrong With the World? a few years after this letter was allegedly written, although he did not mention writing this letter therein (whether by oversight, intent, or the fact that it never happened, we don't know.)

Last edited:

He probably wouldn't want it. Did he not originally leave because he no longer had the control to which he was accustomed previous to the Hasbro buyout? WotC - Peter Adkison: A Letter on Leaving WotC
I had a similar thought about Loren Greenwood being qualified, but equally unlikely to want the position. Twenty years ago is a long time and people move on from old jobs. Similar for Chuck Huebner, although I know less about his track record at WotC.

Same vice versa.
It’s worth pointing out that while the response post:

The best days of D&D are definitely, DEFINITELY, behind us.

The idea that new things are always better than old things is a cognitive bias.
is fallacious: “the best days of D&D are behind us, so let’s not try something new”.

The original post:
Whoever they get to fill the position, I hope it's someone who wants to take the hobby forward. A lot of folks are talking like the best days of D&D are behind us, and that's the wrong attitude for a company's leader.
was not.

The fallacy is valuing the new because it is new, not because it is good. Trying new things to find out if they are good is not fallacious, and is in fact, one of the best ways to improve things.

It was a reference to an apocryphal (but very likely*) letter he allegedly sent to a publication (usually claimed as The Times) when they asked for various luminaries to send in a few hundred words on the question, "What's wrong with the world today?"

Allegedly, his reply was, in its entirety,

Dear sirs,

I am.

Yours sincerely,
G.K. Chesterton
Upvoted for the interesting lore. That being said, I’m not a big fan of Chesterton, as his article on Chesterton’s fence reads to much to me as a defense of the status quo for its own sake.

Remove ads