Why 5E may be the last edition of D&D

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
it's a fun movie, and remade with a director that wanted to direct it (Solomon wanted to produce, TSR forced him to direct), and better dialogue writing, and I don't think you'd need to change much else but what would flow natural from those changes.

And replace the dwarf with a character, obviously.
That would be a completely different movie. Different director, different script, different cast... Different everything, except the premise. And yeah, I'll agree that the premise isn't inherently flawed, but everything else about it was. It's delightful to watch as a result, but not because it's good in any way.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Let's use "fantasy" in the broadest sense of the word, to include science fiction, superheroes, anything not "real life."

Why? A D&D movie wouldn't include those things, so it doesn't seem particularly relevant how well received "fantasy" movies that do include them are.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That would be a completely different movie. Different director, different script, different cast... Different everything, except the premise. And yeah, I'll agree that the premise isn't inherently flawed, but everything else about it was. It's delightful to watch as a result, but not because it's good in any way.
Same characters (except the dwarf), and only different actors because most of them are too old for their roles now, and because it would be weird to remake something using the same actors. Same plot, just executed more cleanly, etc.

The point was never about whether the movie itself is good. That's irrelevant.

Why? A D&D movie wouldn't include those things, so it doesn't seem particularly relevant how well received "fantasy" movies that do include them are.

How is it not relevant? It's directly relevant.

Thor movies show that people are completely here for adventure romps through fantastical stories with gods and monsters.

Mercurius

Legend

How is it not relevant? It's directly relevant.

Thor movies show that people are completely here for adventure romps through fantastical stories with gods and monsters.

Pretty much what doctorbadwolf said. Charlaquin, you're looking at this from a knowledge D&D fan's perspective. For the majority of the viewing public, fantasy, science fiction, and superheroes are all more closely related, as part of the "fantastic." Some might prefer one over the other, but they're all part of the same general family.

Hussar

Legend
Having just watched Assassin's Creed, my hopes for someone actually making a decent D&D movie just get slighter all the time. The number of actually decent fantasy movies is vastly outnumbered by the crap out there.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Thinking about it more, maybe Thor Ragnarok is an even better example. That one had all the Kirby cosmic weirdness and techno-funky stuff mixed with high fantasy, mixed with buddy movie chemistry.

Oh, now I want to see a Taika Waititi helmed D&D movie!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
And I think this thread proves any thread sufficiently speculative about D&D’s future will devolve into a battle about the upcoming movie :)

doctorbadwolf

Oh, now I want to see a Taika Waititi helmed D&D movie!

I'd be all for that, for sure.

I'd also love a Guillermo Del Toro DnD movie, and a Jon Favreau DnD movie. Really any of the directors of successful fantastical movies, lately, and some directions of fantastical movies that didn't do as well as they deserved. Luc Besson (Fifth Element) would do great, IMO.

I'd also go nuts for a Neil Gaiman written DnD flick.

But more than a good movie, I want a solid DnD cartoon, that isn't super campy.

Oofta

Legend
And I think this thread proves any thread sufficiently speculative about D&D’s future will devolve into a battle about the upcoming movie :)

Yes, because we all know the movie will be horrible since the previous movies were horrible. After all the Captain America movie released back in 1990 was pretty horrible, so there could never be a good movie with super heroes, right?

Throw together an ensemble cast, keep it light hearted but not silly, give it a decent budget but don't go insane and I'd say we have a reasonable chance for a decent movie. Something with the feel of Guardians of the Galaxy, Fast and Furious or, I dunno a Lego movie and it could work. Or not. Because we have no idea what a movie in production will be like.

doctorbadwolf

Yes, because we all know the movie will be horrible since the previous movies were horrible. After all the Captain America movie released back in 1990 was pretty horrible, so there could never be a good movie with super heroes, right?

Throw together an ensemble cast, keep it light hearted but not silly, give it a decent budget but don't go insane and I'd say we have a reasonable chance for a decent movie. Something with the feel of Guardians of the Galaxy, Fast and Furious or, I dunno a Lego movie and it could work. Or not. Because we have no idea what a movie in production will be like.

A well done adaptation of the Dragonlance Chronicles could easily fit all that, and bring in a lot of readers who never bothered looking into where the story came from. (Most DL fans I met before I started talking on dnd/rpg forums knew nothing about DnD).

The Drizt books could work, too, but I just subjectively don’t like them. :-D

Remove ads