• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why 5E may be the last edition of D&D

Oofta

Legend
A well done adaptation of the Dragonlance Chronicles could easily fit all that, and bring in a lot of readers who never bothered looking into where the story came from. (Most DL fans I met before I started talking on dnd/rpg forums knew nothing about DnD).

The Drizt books could work, too, but I just subjectively don’t like them. :-D

I think there are a lot of issues with drow and cultural sensitivity. I'm not particularly politically correct but having someone run around in blackface is probably not the best way to sell a movie. Even if they were based on mythology like the Prose Edda.

There are a lot of great stories it could be based on, but perhaps a unique story would be best because there's no way a movie can be particularly true to a novel. Or I dunno, maybe a bunch of kids that were on a roller coaster ride and transported to a magical ream where they end up fighting a (necromancer?) named Venger. Maybe throw in Tiamat.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think there are a lot of issues with drow and cultural sensitivity. I'm not particularly politically correct but having someone run around in blackface is probably not the best way to sell a movie. Even if they were based on mythology like the Prose Edda.

There are a lot of great stories it could be based on, but perhaps a unique story would be best because there's no way a movie can be particularly true to a novel. Or I dunno, maybe a bunch of kids that were on a roller coaster ride and transported to a magical ream where they end up fighting a (necromancer?) named Venger. Maybe throw in Tiamat.

I definitely would not watch a new dnd cartoon with the same plot as the old one. The old one is cute, but it’s also kinda garbage.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think there are a lot of issues with drow and cultural sensitivity. I'm not particularly politically correct but having someone run around in blackface is probably not the best way to sell a movie.

hmmmm like this?

nightcrawler_alan_cumming.jpg

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Even then you would have the a dark skinned evil race.

Well that might be more the issue.... for me a Drow with skin like the above would work fine, but having a sympathetic mutant who is subject to extreme prejudice but is a hero is comparatively easier to sell than the background of an entire race who worship chaotic evil spider gods. You might have to go the "propiates" the gods angle and write really really well (and feature freeing that people from the chains of those evil gods), but even then - yup a problem.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Well that might be more the issue.... for me a Drow with skin like the above would work fine, but having a sympathetic mutant who is subject to extreme prejudice but is a hero is comparatively easier to sell than the background of an entire race who worship chaotic evil spider gods. You might have to go the "propiates" the gods angle and write really really well, but even then - yup a problem.

Dragonlance also has not aged well. I tried rereading it a while ago and gave up but enjoyed it early 90's. Some of the other D&D books are still good, but not really suitable for the big screen. The Elaine Cunningham books are probably the best overall although I have heard Kemp is good. Something like Moonsong might be one of the better D&D novels to adapt.

Oofta

Legend
I definitely would not watch a new dnd cartoon with the same plot as the old one. The old one is cute, but it’s also kinda garbage.

Guess I forgot the smiley face. While I think an animated D&D series similar to something like the Star Wars series would be awesome, bringing back Dungeon Master and company would not be.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
In my opinion, for a D&D movie to be made successful, one must remember that such a film would be made for the masses, not super-nerds like me. Therefore, the following items would have to be considered (and maybe even removed from the film):

1. Drow are problematic for most audiences. Even if animated through the use of CGI, it would be awkward for most people to see a race of dark-skinned, predominately evil humanoids depicted on screen. One way to negate this might be to enhance the inhuman nature of the Drow, emphasizing their Elven qualities to an extreme.

2. Remove some (but not all) of the exposition that I (and some other D&D fans) would like to have.

3. Don't name the movie "Dungeons and Dragons: [insert subtitle here].

4. (This one is not my complaint, but one that critics will make) Remove any species-specific in-game jokes about how Dwarves are alcoholics, Drow are bondage Elves, et cetera.

Remove ads