• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why no "Mass Spell" feat?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
A Reach Spelled spell still has no target, it has an effect, a ray. ;)

That's a good point :)

Mass Spell wouldn't see Reach Spell.

That one... I believe you, but I'm not sure where the effects of stacking Metamagic are spelled out. It's implied by the footnote to Maximize Spell - is it explicitly stated anywhere?

Does that make something like a Ray-to-Coned, Reached Cure Light Wounds impossible?

That's a shame :(

-Hyp.

MythandLore

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

That one... I believe you, but I'm not sure where the effects of stacking Metamagic are spelled out. It's implied by the footnote to Maximize Spell - is it explicitly stated anywhere?

Does that make something like a Ray-to-Coned, Reached Cure Light Wounds impossible?

That's a shame :(

-Hyp.

It's not a ray, the same way magic missle is not a ray and finger of death is not a ray.
Even though you still need a range touch attack to use it.

Which makes me think, could you make a meta-magic feat that lets you auto hit a range touch attack?

Last edited:

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Heal -> Mass Heal : +2
Haste -> Mass Haste : +3
Suggestion -> Mass Suggestion : +3
Invisibility -> Mass Invisibility : +5
Charm -> Mass Charm : +7

Taking a look at that, I have to say that it seems more trouble than it's worth to write up a "Mass Spell" feat. Basically, it's a case-by-case basis, so the write-up would have to include a list of all the spells that would or wouldn't work with it.

Far simpler to accomplish new "Mass" spells through Spell Research. Pitch the new spell to the DM, with a suggested level appropriate to the specific spell in question, and voila! you've got yourself Mass Shocking Grasp.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I've had a "Mass" metamagic spell in my campaign for about a year now. It just seemed like an obvious thing to do.

I went for +3 levels for the effect. Mass Charm should be compared to Charm Monster, not Charm Person, so it is only +3 levels like haste and suggestion. Mass heal is undervalued IMO and mass invisibility has a much greater area, so it is like an mass, expanded spell (180' apart instead of 30' apart)

My version looks pretty much like this:

Mass metamagic
benefits: A "massed" spell affects one or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30' apart. Maximum of 1 target per caster level. A spell with personal range, an area effect or ray effect cannot be enhanced with this metamagic feat.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Hypersmurf said:

Waste of time - you'd be better off using Sound Burst. It's like a Mass Shocking Grasp and a Mass Hold Monster in one!

Ummm. 1d8+level vs 1d8 damage?

And since Sound Burst only *might* stun something for 1 round (during which it is not helpless), while hold monster paralyses something helpless for numerous rounds, I think you are definitely overstating the point here a little!

:D

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
And since Sound Burst only *might* stun something for 1 round (during which it is not helpless), while hold monster paralyses something helpless for numerous rounds, I think you are definitely overstating the point here a little!

I know :)

It was a reference to another thread...

-Hyp.

Remove ads