• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wizard Spell per day?

Ok, so having read the wizard section now, I'm a little confused.

I know that wizards get to pick 2 daily and utility spells everytime they get to a new level that has them. And it specificly says that this does not change the number they can prepare, but can they prepare 2 from the same level?

Example

5th level wizard: Knows 2 1st level daily spells and 2 5th level Daily Spells? i know he can only prepare 2 in a day, and it can't be the same spell twice. Does he have to prepare 1 1st level daily and one 5th level daily, or can he prepare 2 1st level or 2 5th level ones?

Kordeth

First Post
nightspaladin said:
Ok, so having read the wizard section now, I'm a little confused.

I know that wizards get to pick 2 daily and utility spells everytime they get to a new level that has them. And it specificly says that this does not change the number they can prepare, but can they prepare 2 from the same level?

Example

5th level wizard: Knows 2 1st level daily spells and 2 5th level Daily Spells? i know he can only prepare 2 in a day, and it can't be the same spell twice. Does he have to prepare 1 1st level daily and one 5th level daily, or can he prepare 2 1st level or 2 5th level ones?

No, you can prepare your dailies at whatever level you want, with the caveat that you cannot prepare the same spell twice. Just like a fighter is free to learn a 1st-level daily power when he reaches level 5, your wizard can do the same.

WhatGravitas

Explorer
nightspaladin said:
So a 5th level wizard can prepare as his two daily spells two 5th level spells, since he will have at least two of them in his book?
From reading the rules text, seemingly. I wonder if that's intended (to give the wizard more bang out of his dailies) or only poor wording.

The feat "Extended Spellbook" also changes power based on the interpretation.

Cheers, LT.

Alkiera

First Post
I think the 'intended' interpretation is that you can each day prepare spells per the normal rules; i.e. you have 1 1st level slot and 1 5th level slot, and they can each hold a spell of their level or lower. So you could mem both your first level dailies, but not both your 5th level dailies.

If you take the extended spellbook feat, you would have 3 of each to choose from, but each day you'd still have 1 1st level, and 1 either 1st or 5th level daily spell.

brehobit

Explorer
Alkiera said:
I think the 'intended' interpretation is that you can each day prepare spells per the normal rules; i.e. you have 1 1st level slot and 1 5th level slot, and they can each hold a spell of their level or lower. So you could mem both your first level dailies, but not both your 5th level dailies.

If you take the extended spellbook feat, you would have 3 of each to choose from, but each day you'd still have 1 1st level, and 1 either 1st or 5th level daily spell.
I agree with this. The rule appears to be horribly written, but I can't imagine that they intended anything else.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
brehobit said:
I agree with this. The rule appears to be horribly written, but I can't imagine that they intended anything else.
Then you're forgetting about the Retraining rules, which allow you to not have any first level dailies by 6th level (7th with Expanded Spellbook).

The only rules-consistent conclusion is that you can prepare X daily attack spells and Y daily utility spells each day, where X and Y are determined by the level progression table. Spell level is irrelevant for the purposes of perparation.

tvar

Explorer
No, the retraining rules only allows you to replace powers with other powers of the same or lower level. (You can, however, replace low tier feats with higher tier feats.) So you can't get rid of your first level powers by just retraining as soon as higher level powers become available. You'd have to wait for the official "replace a power" levels to get rid of low level powers and get higher level ones.

brehobit

Explorer
tvar said:
No, the retraining rules only allows you to replace powers with other powers of the same or lower level. (You can, however, replace low tier feats with higher tier feats.) So you can't get rid of your first level powers by just retraining as soon as higher level powers become available. You'd have to wait for the official "replace a power" levels to get rid of low level powers and get higher level ones.
And just to be agreeable in this thread: Yep that's right.

Remove ads