Wolf Barbarian and Improved Trip

Lost-Johnny

First Post
I am a little confused by the multiple stages and bonusses of the Improved Trip feat. I have a Wolf Lodge Barbarian (1/2 O, Str 18, Bar2/Fgtr1 that uses a Greatsword) and just got the Improved Trip Feat and I'm not exactly sure how it works. The description is a little vague to me and I don't want to hold up the game hashing it out with the DM during combat-- I'd like to have all of my potential bonusses figured before I show up to the next game. I don't have the UA book to look up the numbers on that- so I may need a little reference help there.

To simplify, we asume that the opponent is a two-legged size M.

Step 1 "Make an unarmed melee touch attack" (no AoO applies because of the IT feat).

Question: Must my weapon be sheathed in order to make an unarmed attack? Can you make an unarmed attack while holding a weapon?
Question: What Bonusses apply? Str, Base attack bonus, Wolf Lodge bonus, +4 IT bonus?

Step 2 If your attack succeeds, make an opposed ability check.

Question : What Bonusses apply? Str, Base attack bonus, Wolf Lodge bonus, +4 IT bonus?

Step 3 (for IT): Immediately get a melee attack.

Question: What bonusses apply to this attack? Str, Base attack bonus, Wolf Lodge bonus, +4 IT bonus, opponent prone?

Question: Can I use my greatsword for this attack? Can I draw it using my move action for that round or can I be holding it? Can I take a 5 foot step? What square does the opponent land in?

Miscellaneous Questions:
Can I do this while Raging?
Can I do this while Charging?
Can I do this while Flanking?
To what stages would these bonusses apply?

If I use a weapon to make this attack (I plan on getting Exotic Weapon-Spiked Chain in the future), what weapon bonusses apply to which stages of the manuever (+4, magical)?

Finally, as a matter of style, I'm not sure how wolves use the trip in combat. I mean, how exactly does a wolf trip someone? I assume that members of the Lodge are mimicking the actions of the wolf. I just don't have a picture of how that works cinematically.

Anyway, I know this is a long-winded and confusing post, but I would really appreciate any help in clarification that anyone would care to give. Thanks in advance.

Lost-Johnny

Legildur

First Post
I don't know anything about 'Wolf Lodge bonus', but:

1a. Weapon sheathed? No.
1b. BAB + Str bonus

2. Str bonus + 4 (Improved Trip) versus Str or Dex bonus (+ maybe racial stability bonus)

3. Not sure! But no 5ft step. I think you can used your standard attack with the greatsword (visualising the trip attack as a leg sweep or similar), but your tripped opponent has a -4 penalty to AC from being prone.

Misc. Raging? Yes (+2 to touch attack and opposed trip check.
Charging? Yes (+2 to touch attack)
Flanking? Yes (+2 to touch attack)

Re spiked chain, the +4 weapon would count towards the touch attack (and could be used for the follow up attack from the feat).

I picture a wolf grabbing you buy the leg and pulling back to pull you off balance.

Dross

Explorer
Legildur has it pretty much spot on.

While I am not sure of RAW, we play that if you do not have a tripping weapon you go unarmed attack, but can have a 2 handed weapon in hands and use that for the follow up attack. But that definately should be cleared with the DM before hand.

Notmousse

First Post
Since the important stuff was already mentioned I want to add that wolves often shake their head violently to disorient and kill prey they bite.

I would describe an unarmed barbarian using a wolf style trip to forcefully clasp their opponent from one direction by either an article of clothing, or exposed flesh, and then jerking them violently in the opposite direction to the ground.

I would expect someone to be a bit disheartened by this, so play it up and ask if you can make an intimidate check as you do so.

Lost-Johnny

First Post
Thanks, folks.

Legildur: Just out of curiosity, why no 5ft. step?

Dross: Forgive my ignorance, but what does RAW stand for?

Notmousse: That makes a good visual. Unfortunately, I have a very low CHA and therefore my Intimidate is not a strong suit. I guess it's another topic, but I don't see why CHA applies to intimidate in such a situation. So even if I caught a thief picking my pocket and violently threw him to the ground and smacked with my greatsword- he would be non-plussed :\

Anyone know about the Wolf Lodge feat?

Legildur

First Post
Lost-Johnny said:
Legildur: Just out of curiosity, why no 5ft. step?
It's just like the Cleave feat - a bonus attack that must be taken immediately, no free actions etc (as best as I can tell, anyway).

Notmousse

First Post
There are some houserules/options that allow you to use Str and/or damage inflicted instead of Cha. Unfortunately, I don't know of many DMs who allow it outside of myself (I'm awesome like that)

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Lost-Johnny said:
I am a little confused by the multiple stages and bonusses of the Improved Trip feat. I have a Wolf Lodge Barbarian (1/2 O, Str 18, Bar2/Fgtr1 that uses a Greatsword) and just got the Improved Trip Feat and I'm not exactly sure how it works. The description is a little vague to me and I don't want to hold up the game hashing it out with the DM during combat-- I'd like to have all of my potential bonusses figured before I show up to the next game. I don't have the UA book to look up the numbers on that- so I may need a little reference help there.

To simplify, we asume that the opponent is a two-legged size M.

Ok, no problem.

Lost-Johnny said:
Step 1 "Make an unarmed melee touch attack" (no AoO applies because of the IT feat).

Question: Must my weapon be sheathed in order to make an unarmed attack? Can you make an unarmed attack while holding a weapon?

No, you don't. Trip attacks can be made with any unarmed strike or weapon designed for tripping.

Lost-Johnny said:
Question: What Bonusses apply? Str, Base attack bonus, Wolf Lodge bonus, +4 IT bonus?

To the initial touch attack, you add your Strength bonus to your Base Attack Bonus.

Lost-Johnny said:
Step 2 If your attack succeeds, make an opposed ability check.

Question : What Bonusses apply? Str, Base attack bonus, Wolf Lodge bonus, +4 IT bonus?

This is where you apply both the +4 bonus from Improved Trip, and the +4 bonus from Wolf Berserker. Wolf berserker also applies when you're trying to resist a trip attempt, but Improved Trip does not.

Lost-Johnny said:
Step 3 (for IT): Immediately get a melee attack.

Question: What bonusses apply to this attack? Str, Base attack bonus, Wolf Lodge bonus, +4 IT bonus, opponent prone?

This is at the same bonus as your initial touch attack (though it's a normal attack, not a touch attack). The opponent is prone, so your opponent's AC is reduced by 4 against your melee attacks.

Lost-Johnny said:
Question: Can I use my greatsword for this attack? Can I draw it using my move action for that round or can I be holding it? Can I take a 5 foot step? What square does the opponent land in?

Greatswords aren't really supposed to be used for tripping, by RAW, but you can certainly use it in your follow up attack from Improved Trip.

Lost-Johnny said:
Miscellaneous Questions:
Can I do this while Raging?
Can I do this while Charging?
Can I do this while Flanking?
To what stages would these bonusses apply?

You can trip in all three of those situations.

Raging increases your strength, so it applies to the melee touch attack, the trip attempt (which is strength based), and to the follow up melee attack from Improved Trip.

If I use a weapon to make this attack (I plan on getting Exotic Weapon-Spiked Chain in the future), what weapon bonusses apply to which stages of the manuever (+4, magical)?

Charging would add +2 to the initial melee touch attack, but not to anything else (you don't have the momentum from the charge on Improved Trip's follow-up attack)

Flanking would give you +2 to the initial touch attack. I'd also say it applies to the follow up attack, since they're still flanked (and prone, too).

Lost-Johnny said:
Finally, as a matter of style, I'm not sure how wolves use the trip in combat. I mean, how exactly does a wolf trip someone? I assume that members of the Lodge are mimicking the actions of the wolf. I just don't have a picture of how that works cinematically.
Legildur explained this one well. :)

Lost-Johnny said:
Anyway, I know this is a long-winded and confusing post, but I would really appreciate any help in clarification that anyone would care to give. Thanks in advance.

Lost-Johnny

No worries. :)

Remove ads