WotBS (conversion to Pathfinder) OOC

Dragonwriter

First Post
Being the new guy, sorry if the following question steps on anyones toes, but I kind of wanted to get my expectations into perspective.

The pace of the game seems slow, and that is cool. But lately it seems to have almost come to a screeching halt.

Is this a normal pace for the group? Are these lags a feature?

Hehe... yeah... The pace of this game tends to bounce around. I think part of it is HM seemingly wanting everyone to get a post in, like this current point, so he has everyone's OK to move on. Sometimes, IMO, that isn't feasible.

I know there seemed to be a little tension between dragonwriter and Fangor the Fierce, but you seemed to be working through it.

As one of the players mentioned, I didn't feel any tension or trouble between me and Fangor. Our characters, yes, but keeping players and characters separate is an important distinction to me (I've got a little background in theater, so I'm very big on character/actor differences). In another PbP, our characters are getting along alright, approaching fine.

Aaron has been quite quiet though, I don't know if this is a factor.

It probably is, a bit, but busy-ness comes in waves and RL gets in the way of our fun. :p

If I'm totally out of line I apologise. It's my eagerness to get things moving speaking. Anyway, I'd appreciate a bit of a low down if possible.

A wise man once said, if you can't change the situation, change your attitude towards the situation. So it would be cool to know what the situation is so I can take it with the right attitude! Cheers guys and gals :)

I don't mind in the least, though I'm just another player and not the DM of this adventure. My opinion, though, follows in the vein of 'people should be able to voice concerns and opinions freely'. Partly because I'm not the sort to keep quiet about my own concerns and opinions. ;)

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Actually I have been super busy with summer starting. I normally update at least every four days. And since I updated SAT I will update again tonight.

I will normally update after everyone has posted up and I figure four days is enough time to give someone to check in and post a response.

Don't quite know what you mean about DW and FtF - did you mean to say Barrik and Aaron?

Again updates will mostly be SAT/SUN and then WED/THU I tend to give these long pauses so everyone can respond or the group can RP and let me know what their characters are up to and thinking.

HM

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Ok - chiming in now. Life has been BUSY for me lately, as summer means kids leaving, wife being distraught that they are gone for months, and work kicking my ass. That was the main reason for being so quiet lately. As for the tension - yeah, it comes and goes. Aaron and Barick got off on the wrong foot, and are slowly moving towards some common ground.

Being as this was my first Inquisitor, I am learning and playing it as I think it would go. They are devote to a patron, not a church. Think of Van Helsing, and that is what I have in my mind. He's rough on the edges, but when he gives a vow, he means it. That was what he gave Crystin, and in doing so, was tormented on what to do about marda in the fight at the house.

He's gotta figure out how to work well with others, as he's not used to it.

But, I think it's getting better. Nothing like turmoil to bring things back in line.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Note on Reference Documents...

I normally use the SRD is this the correct i.e. legal one or something else? I haven't really compared the two but I know the PRD was the first one started and had a lot of "holes" in it.

About 5' step...

A 5' step is it's own action in addition to the move/standard or move/move actions allowed for a character to take in a round.

To qualify for a 5' step you must not have used a move action to move any of your listed speed(s). So as an example in Spirits case he may...

Move Action- Draw his weapon
5' step - to get into melee range
Standard Action - Attack

The drawing of a weapon as a free action (if your BAB is at least +1) applies when you use a move action to move a listed speed, and not when you use a move action to do something else (like retrieve an item). As you move whatever distance you are assumed to be drawing your weapon.

DM mask off will be updating shortly...

HM

Walking Dad

First Post
SRD is fanmade, includes more OGL stuff and errata is quicker applied.
PRD is the 'official' one, but only includes the main book, APG, Bestiary 1 & 2 and Ultimate Magic.

Dragonwriter

First Post
Okay, a couple of questions have arisen for me...

Did Gulujak receive Indomitability's Boon? (It would seem weird to not have the Boon affect animal companions/familiars/eidolons, but I want to cover my rear.)

If I take another Head and Bite evolution for Gulujak, will the Reach and Trip evolutions I already selected (for Bite) apply to the new Bite and the old one, or just the old one?

I'm going to hold off on finishing my level-up until I have these answers, as it does determine just how Gulujak advances right now.

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Hmmm, leveling up. Nice! Looks like I have to choose 2 level 2 spells to learn. This is going to be a tough call though, as I am not sure where Aaron is headed. Seems to have the bodyguard actions down, and looking at some of the spells, they could either help him out that way, or make him more diverse.

HM - I am assuming that the available spells should only be from the core book as well as APG. Right?

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Not truly I do have Ultimate magic and would like to play-test a few spells from there. Don't rightly see anything to odd for Inquisitor so you may chose from CORE, APG, and UM (that to everyone).

I looked over eidolons and it seems to me you re-evolution them everytime a summoner levels DW. I'm going to call in an expert but my understanding of the reach is that it only effects one attack so you would need to take it multiple times to get extra reach attacks.

I like the plan for the Cerberus like Gulujak. I think at this level with 7 points I would go...

1- bite
1- reach(for free bite)
1- reach(for extra bite; secondary?)
1- resistance (fire)
1- scent
2- trip (for only one bite I believe)

highlighted portions are reasons need expert help

And in answer to the familiars getting the boon that is a no. The way it works he would not be able to do everyone so we will let the familiars out and you will need to use spells and potions, etc.

HM

Satin Knights

First Post
As a claw slices a hole in reality from the outside, a puff of smoke pours through, then a battle llama. "Did someone call for an expert in the mutable ones? Here I am! Toddy is the name. But you would have known that, or you couldn't have called me. So, you need help forming your friend for his next challenges. I can help with that."

"OK, Quadruped, Dodge and Mobility. Those choices I see you have already locked in. Everything else we get to shuffle. And you say we have seven evolution points to sculpt. That is fine. We can do

2 points for an Extra head, a
t least he won't get lonely. giggles Depending on where you put the head, he can be a PushPull or an etin-dog.
1 point for an Extra bite
1 point for Reach with the left head
1 point for Reach with the right head
1 point for Resist fire
1 point for Improved Natural Armor

But that doesn't get the trip in there that you wanted. This guy will look weird. Walking through town, he will get stared at, and people will grab pitch forks. Are you sure you want to subject him to that? And he only gets two attacks while fighting.

Tell you what. Let me tell you what I am planning to look like at his age. I will be choosing
1 Reach bite
1 Claws, 2 front claw attacks
1 Improved Natural Armor, gotta protect myself
1 Skilled Acrobatics, so I can dance through the combat mess without getting touched
2 Energy Attacks(shock). All three of his attacks would get shock damage.
1 Pounce
Like that, he can still look like a normal, I hate that word, dog in town so people don't start being mean to him. He will be able to jump into flank a lot easier. He still has one reach attack for taking his one attack of opportunity when it presents itself. And the shocking magic in his attacks will add half again to the amount of damage he can do. But it is not as flashy as flames from his mouth, so it won't be noticeable until it hurts. And it does hurt a lot! The resistance is, meh, ok at this level, but when he ages a little more, it will double in strength and be more important.

Any questions?
Oh, and by the way, do you want to buy a slightly used quasit? I have one. I will sell him to you real cheap. No? No takers? I will never be rid of that little bugger." And in a puff of smoke, he disappears.

OOC: Sorry for the length, that was fun to write.
Reach gets attached to one attack evolution. So, it can be attached to two claw attacks, one slam attack, one bite attack, or one tentacle. HM missed adding the second head costs 2 evolution points. So, the second head, biting with reach requires a total of 4 evolution points. Looks cool, but kinda costly.

Trip Attack: "Whenever the eidolon makes a successful bite attack", so by my reading, Trip only needs to be taken once to affect both bites. It can only be taken once since it doesn't specify it can be taken more than once. A year from now, they might errata it because they didn't think of two heads when the first book was written.

Now, Improved Damage(Bite) only has to be taken once to apply to both bites, as it affects an attack form, not an attack evolution.

Cerberus looks cool, but should get pelted with stones and crossbow bolts when you enter town. With the trip once, bite with reach twice, you are looking spending all 7 points for two mediocre attacks and no defense.

On the other hand, going with a more normal looking beast, and adding the non-visible evolutions has advantages. Acrobatics can be used versus CMD to avoid AoOs. At fourth level, a +17 to Acrobatics is phenomenal. And with Mobility, if the AoO is triggered, he is still +4 to his AC to resolve that. Stealth is another skill that is worthy of spending an evo point on before Scent. More so if changing the eidolon to small size, as that gives another +4 bonus.

Paizo's writing of the summoner is fuzzy to say the least. My Reach answer is 95% likely. (General consensus but not locked in the faq.) The Trip answer is about 70% likely. (My best guess) It is GM prerogative on almost everything related to the summoner. But since I run five different summoners, I got called in as the expert.

Remove ads