• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

would you play your least fav edition if asked by friends

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, for a one shot I'd play any edition of D&D. If an older edition, it would be interesting to see how much it feels like I remember. If a newer edition, it would be fun too.

Group matters a whole lot more than edition. And heck, with my current group, if someone suggested a 1e D&D (a game I once said I'd never play again on a bet) for a long term campaign, i'd probably jump in TBH. The group is just that good.

I've certainly played in groups in the past where that would not be true.

skinnydwarf

Explorer
Absolutely. I love gaming with friends, and sharing that experience is why I'm still a gamer more than 20 years after I first picked up a polyhedron.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
No.

But I would DM.

The editions I dislike I really dislike playing... but I will happily DM almost anything whether I like it or not. :)
Wow, that's interesting. I'm just the opposite; no DM is perfect, so if I'm playing my least favorite edition I can simply put it down to being one of the DM's flaws, and mostly enjoy the game anyway. Whereas if I'm DMing, I'm largely responsible for the group's gaming experience. Whatever flaws are present in the edition I'm running are that much more visible and obtrusive.

Which is what led to my seven pages of absolutely essential house rules that I had compiled by 2008. And 3e still doesn't run how I'd like it to. :p

Pour

First Post
I'd absolutely play anything a friend was willing to run, if time permitted. Cleanses the palate.

But I might be even more interested watching that guy up thread staple his tongue to the wall while we ran our 4e game.

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Ok, simple question. Lets say you had the time and money to go hang out with 4-6 of your good friends tomorrow for the 40th birthday of D&D, but one of them said "Hey I'm DMing X" where X is the version of D&D you most dislike or like the least.

Would you go to play the game you dislike? what if it was the only game you could go to, so it is literally that or nothing tomorrow?

There is no edition of D&D that I hate [-]so much I wouldn't play it with my friends[/-].

Remove ads