Your "Unique" Expressions

Retreater

Legend
I think we all have quips, misquotes, and expressions we say regularly. They may mean something to us or be an inside joke, but to most people, they just look at us oddly.

What's something you say? If you feel like explaining it, you can do that too.

Retreater

Legend
"It's the 90s. Do what you wanna do!"

Long story: My friend and I took our dates to a vintage collectible kind of store. He and his date went down an aisle and were caught in the throes of passion. The shopkeeper with a mullet, about as many teeth as a jack-o'-lantern, came upon the couple and laughed. "Hell! It's the 90s. Do what you wanna do!"
It was well past the 90s at that point.
I still say this to my friends and co-workers to mean basically "go ahead and do whatever you're talking about."

BookTenTiger

He / Him
"My dice bag!"

Two of my friend's and I attended a little ENWorld based gaming convention I helped organize 18 or so years ago. On the drive back, my friend driving the car stopped suddenly, and my dice bag slipped from the seat to the floor. I jokingly cried out, in an exaggerated nerdy voice, "My dice bag!"

My friends did not believe this was not a natural reaction, and for years I tried fruitlessly to defend myself (while also laughing and being in on the joke). The phrase then spread to my players' other gaming tables, and when I'd hang out with people I didn't even play with, I'd hear someone shout out, "My dice bag!"

aco175

Legend
Some of my workers pointed out that I say, "Whatever, whatever, whatever" I never knew that it came up to the point that it was noticeable and a thing I did.

I was always a fan of this one though.
1644515522754.png

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
"Mr. Condescending"

The story: My friends called me out on this mocking voice I do; and its totally true. It's like a slow high pitched southerner espousing some self realized piece of wisdom. For example, we were at a music festival and a friend brought 20 bucks in cash and left everything else in the hotel. When that ran out immediately and they had no access to money I'd let them have it. "Weeeelllll, twendy bucks is all a man needs at the fest..."

The best story is our annual spring cabin trips. Just a long weekend of drunken debauchery. One guy, who claims to have quit, always brings a single pack of cigs. The very first night last year at the fire he ran out. He leans over to the friend next to him and asks if he can bum a smoke. Every single person just looks in my direction and stares for what felt like an eternity. Finally, I gave them what they wanteded. "Weeeellll, one pack of smokes is all a man needs for a cabin weeeeeekennnd"...

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn’t believe anything.

I quote this fairly regularly and without attribution in conversations. It usually goes unremarked.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
”Dastardly Mime” is an impromptu mistranslation that a certain player group will never forget. And it resulted in me creating that as a nemesis to the group. It was forevermore the enemy that would pop up if the group got distracted with off game banter, or if someone reminded me of its existence.

aco175

Legend
I have used the word Tartle several times since I read it in the bathroom book, Reader's Digest on the vocabulary page of words you should know. It's a Scottish word that means, Oh crap I forgot your name and should know it. I find it better to say, "Oh Tartle" than "Heeeey, Youuuu..."

My twin brother and I have decades of in-jokes, references, and gibberish that no one else gets, nor would want to. Stuff like one of us letting a hand fall on the table, then slowly dragging it across will always make us both laugh. Another is "gotta get the toodapay!" It's a language of stupidity, to be sure.

Aside from that, other people have told me that I use the word "alas" more frequently then most.

GreyLord

Legend
Hopefully this is okay putting this here.

"Frack" "Fracking Frack"

Why...I got it from Battlestar Galactica.

My spouse when we were younger felt that I utilized inappropriate language at the time, but it was hard to stop cold turkey. So...I found replacement language.

Battlestar Galactica's language seemed useful. My spouse has not complained about me using it. Everyone's kids seem okay with it and so do their parents...so I suppose it's alright.

Remove ads