Aquatic Humans as PCs

eris404

Explorer
Hey all,

I am starting a new D&D campaign, which would start with the characters at an experience point total that would put them in the middle of 3rd level. One player would like to play an aquatic human sorcerer (think Aqua Man or Abe Sapien). I like his idea as a general concept, but I'd like some guidance about how to go about this. There is an aquatic human race in Unearthed Arcana, but the race is water-breathing only; in order to function above water, the race must be either have the amphibious trait or the character must have some other way of breathing while above water. Since a significant part of the campaign is above water (probably 80% of the adventures will be on land, but the setting is a large port city with lots of boat traffic), I am leaning towards the first option. But I'm worried how his character will compare to the others. Will being able to breathe water at will make the character significantly more powerful? If so, should I give him a +1 level adjustment or perhaps take away some other trait (such as the bonus feat)?

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
No level adjustment required

I have had an aquatic human before (though not with any rules backing - I just declared her amphibious) and since most campaigns are land based it doesn't come into play much anyway. Of course if you were to have an underwater adventure it is helpful but since its not going to be a major feature I'd not bother

if you are still concerned the most I'd do is require a feat be used on becoming amphibious (but then I'd also allow normal humans to be able to use a feat to become aquatic too)

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
How important is "human" to your player? Aquatic elves have both opportunities and challenges for your player, and their gills would allow him to stay out of the water for good portions of the day, assuming their con started high enough. Once they get third level spells, "Air breathing" (just like water breathing, except not) could allow longer stints on land (and the player could start with potions of air breathing).

Perhaps only I remember the old Man from Atlantis series, but the Con drain of the aquatic elves reminds me of that.

In addition to being amphibious, though, the player will (I expect) want a permanent swim speed (allowing him always to take 10). If you were inventing an aquatic human race, I'd probably allow both (with a 30' swim speed) to replace the human's bonus feat and skill point, but you'd probably need to hit a stat at -2 for it to be balanced against merfolk (LA +1).

An aquatic elf sorcerer avoids the LA.

eris404

Explorer
Thanks for your replies - good stuff! I didn't want to use aquatic elves because, umm, they don't exist in my world. :eek:

I don't remember all of the aquatic human race from UA off the top of my head, but I think it did include a swim movement speed. I'll have to check into that when I get home to make sure.

I like Tonguez's suggestion, but I haven't decided yet if I'm going to make the "amphibious" just a racial trait, swap it for the bonus feat humans get or simply make it a feat he can take. Any other thoughts on the matter?

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
eris404 said:
Thanks for your replies - good stuff! I didn't want to use aquatic elves because, umm, they don't exist in my world. :eek:

But aquatic humans do? What about this then:

+2 Dexterity, –2 Intelligence.
* An aquatic human has the aquatic subtype.
* An aquatic human has a swim speed of 40 feet.
* Gills: Aquatic humans can survive out of the water for 1 hour per point of Constitution (after that, refer to the suffocation rules).
* Superior Low-Light Vision: Aquatic humans can see four times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of low illumination. This trait replaces the high elf ’s low-light vision.
* Favored Class: Fighter.

(ripped from aquatic elf, with "human" substituted for "elf".)

since the above replaces default-elf stuff, we keep human things:

* one feat (default is Endurance, to help with suffocation saves)
* one extra skill (swimming; swimming is always a class skill for aquatic humans; off sets some of the -2 Int.)

there, I'd stand by that!

KS

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Hmmm, who might that be... ;)

Kobold Stew has a good point; filing the serial numbers off the aquatic elf works pretty well. You could take away the ability mods, as he's looking to be human+. Maybe take away the extra feat and skill points to compensate for the water breathing, which I don't see as being a game-breaker at all.

I'm reminded of the Sahuagin, who have this "ability:"

Water Dependent (Ex): Sahuagin can survive out of the water for 1 hour per 2 points of Constitution (after that, refer to the drowning rules on page 304 of the Dungeon Master ’s Guide).

Remove ads