What To Do With Odd Ability Scores

airwalkrr

Adventurer
How about a system that actually gives weight to odd ability scores? Under this system, odd ability scores provide a bonus to relavent skills, while even ability scores provide a bonus to everything else, according to the scheme:

[Score] = [skill modifier]/[other modifier]
10 = +0/+0
11 = +1/+0
12 = +1/+1
13 = +2/+1

...and so on. Doesn't seem extraordinarily complicated and gives a reason to boost an ability score by just 1.

librarius_arcana

First Post
airwalkrr said:
How about a system that actually gives weight to odd ability scores? Under this system, odd ability scores provide a bonus to relavent skills, while even ability scores provide a bonus to everything else, according to the scheme:

[Score] = [skill modifier]/[other modifier]
10 = +0/+0
11 = +1/+0
12 = +1/+1
13 = +2/+1

...and so on. Doesn't seem extraordinarily complicated and gives a reason to boost an ability score by just 1.

Makes sense, but would it be worth it? ;)

Khuxan

First Post
I prefer going the True20 route and effectively abolishing odd ability scores altogether. It's very easy to implement in any d20 system game.

librarius_arcana

First Post
Khuxan said:
I prefer going the True20 route and effectively abolishing odd ability scores altogether. It's very easy to implement in any d20 system game.

Yeah, And I totally agree, whats the point in having a stat you need to convert before you can use it?,

but that being said, if you changed it over to the True 20 system (which makes alot more sense) it would'nt look like D&D as much :\

Paraxis

Explorer
Just make sure all home brew feats have prereq's at 13,15, or 17 in ability scores. Also it means something when you get that +1 every 4 levels, I usualy put it in an odd ability to get boost. They are trying to keep things simple with the ability scores things used to be non-linear and not good.

EvilGM

Explorer
Odd ability scores do have weight...

-Feat prereqs
-Ability drain/damage

That said, I don't see a problem with what you're suggesting, other than possible confusion with some players (they all can't be as brilliant as DMs :] )

Stalker0

Legend
Right now the only scores that matter as odd scores are str and con, they have direct uses that matter if your score is a 14 or 15. And of course, feat prereqs make a big difference between 12 and 13.

Sravoff

First Post
Actually I very much liek this idea.

Nice, easy, simplistic, adn doesn't really effect game balance that much, if you ahev an odd score, you get a +1 to skills tied to that ability.

Sounds good, *yoink*

-Sravoff

airwalkrr

Adventurer
Tequila Sunrise said:
Sounds like your solution could work. My solution was to just make every score add a bonus rather than every other score.

That ratchets up the power level of the game though doesn't it?

Remove ads