• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Yet another Warlord name poll: Warrior

Which is the best name for the martial leader class?

• Warrior

Votes: 13 13.1%
  • Warlord

Votes: 47 47.5%
  • Something else

Votes: 39 39.4%

Exen Trik

First Post
As I figure it, Warrior is the simplest, most acceptable alternative to Warlord. I'm curious if others like it.

Here's the points I see in its favor:
-Already established in 3e, in the DMG no less
-Has 'war' right in the name
-Associated with soldiers and the like, due to it being the usual class given them
-Just as specific as fighter
-Still sounds a little like warlock, but not nearly so much.
-As far as I know, the NPC classes aren't being used anyways

EDIT: Eh, I should have phrased the poll better.

I recognize that warrior is a very general term, and technically doesn't mean much different than fighter. My association with soldiers is based almost entirely on the NPC class being used for those kinds of characters. Extrapolating 'war' as something that must involve multiple people on either side of a conflict is the only significant difference of the name with fighter, which only refers to combat itself.

But that's not really the point.

My main problem with the warlord isn't that it's so similar to warlock or to specific a term, but that some people have an honest, serious problem with it sharing the name with real world, modern day war criminals. My problem with other suggestions is that in every case they are too specific a concept, denoting military rank or a particular function that warlords may include but aren't limited to.

So then, the question is: is Warrior more acceptable to more people, and works with more expressions of the class concepts, than Warlord, tactician, marshal, or any of the other suggestions?

Last edited:

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
Could we PLEASE let this issue die? It's not going to change.

Anyway, 'warrior' doesn't differentiate itself from 'fighter.' The only way it's differentiated from 'soldier' makes it actually LESS appropriate for the concept: warrior to me has the connotation of a combatant trained primarily to fight on his own, trusting to a personal code of honor and to his own abilities, whereas soldier has the connotation of a combatant trained to fight in a unit, trusting to discipline and leadership.

In fact, I can't actually think of a proposed name that seems LESS appropriate for the warlord role.

Again, I would have picked 'captain' if I were the one pulling the trigger on names at WotC, but warlord is better than most of the alternatives and leagues ahead of warrior.

Lackhand

First Post
warrior jumps the shark.

(16th level fighter maneuver with polearm: whenever you make a jump check as part of a move you may add +1 to AC, attacks, and damage for each 5 points by which this check beats DC 20. This bonus lasts until the beginning of your next turn, at which point you become Henry Winkler).

BryonD

Hero
Obviously the warlord is broken.

4E isn't even out yet and it still wins every contest hands down. No class should have so much power.

:cool:

Pygon

First Post
People are just stuck on Warlord, aren't they :)

Oh well, if that's what they want, I won't complain.

First impression of the name is like a huge army commander or something, an image every new player of DnD would aspire to. When I started playing DnD, I was happy to survive a kobold and maybe do something heroic. And I loved it! Oh well, dreams must be higher.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Reposted.

No. I an addition to what Remathilis says (in another thread), it still has "war", making it to close to Warlock. Which I still see as the most legitamate complaint. (actually, they should rename Warlock! Wait, did we already have those threads).

Remove ads