Proposal: An amendment to the Job Sytem

Boddynock

First Post
Just a minor amendment to the Job System rules.

Richard Rawen is currently acting as Tarag's apprentice, keeping an eye on the shop while Tarag is off adventuring. He's a tad off 5th level, so it occurred to me that receiving the XP for running the Forge in Tarag's absence might help him to level up, and streamline the next adventure, once it actually presents itself.

Since the proprietor of a shop doesn't receive any XP while absent on adventure (from a discussion which happened in one of these threads a year or so ago), it doesn't seem unreasonable that the apprentice left in charge should reap the benefit for the responsibility they shoulder. And at 5 XP a week, we're hardly talking about a game-breaking advantage.

I therefore propose that we amend the Apprentice/Assistant entry of the Job System from:

APPRENTICE/ASSISTANT
You are someone to get the work done while the boss is busy saving the world.
Requirements: Must have a few of the requirements for the job OR Must be accepted by an existing character performing the job.
gp/week: One quarter of what you would gain on the job you are apprenticed for.
Special Payment: One quarter of what you would gain on the job you are apprenticed for.
Special: If you are leading the business because the master is away adventuring or otherwise absent, you gain half the normal payment instead.

to:

APPRENTICE/ASSISTANT
You are someone to get the work done while the boss is busy saving the world.
Requirements: Must have a few of the requirements for the job OR Must be accepted by an existing character performing the job.
gp/week: One quarter of what you would gain on the job you are apprenticed for.
Special Payment: One quarter of what you would gain on the job you are apprenticed for.
Special: If you are leading the business because the master is away adventuring or otherwise absent, you gain the full weekly XP award and half the normal payment instead.

Trouvere

Explorer
It seems logical to me that whatever the curious mechanism is by which running a shop is equivalent to bashing a goblin in the head, it should apply equally to a shop-owner and his (full-time PC) assistant.

As you say, it's not going to be game-breaking, since it would take nearly 4 years to go even from 1st to 2nd level on this job XP alone.

I vote YES.

covaithe

Explorer
Sure, sounds good to me. YES.

Question: Does the apprentice get any XP while the master is home in the shop? At a quick read, it sounds like they get none at all (as opposed to, say, half).

Boddynock

First Post
Question: Does the apprentice get any XP while the master is home in the shop? At a quick read, it sounds like they get none at all (as opposed to, say, half).
They don't get any XP when the master's back. Presumably because they're not in charge any longer. And after all, they haven't had to fork out 500 gp for the premises, so I guess it's fair ... although I'd really love to see a revamp of the job system (no prizes for guessing why :lol:).

Boddynock

First Post
Since it's been over 48 hours and no-one else has posted, I'll go ahead and inform Richard that his character will start accruing xp. I'll also write up the change in the Job System entry.

Thank you.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases