Push - exactl hoes does it work ?

Istar

First Post
Never really been sure how it worked and suspect our group has it wrong.

But thanks to a new feat will be doing a bit of pushing L12 onwards.

Say a push 7 squares.

1. Push says push away from you - does that mean directly away from the square you are in, or away from you in any direction you state ie.

A
PEB
C

P=PC
E=Enemey

Can you push them thru squares A and C or is it only B
Is it a push away from you or directly away.

2. If you have an area affect push are they all pushed the same direction, and is this dependant if its a blast or a burst or a ranged or a melee.

3. Says you can push, so it is optional you dont have to ?

4. If its optional do you have to push them the full distance or do you have option to push them part of the distance.

Nebten

First Post
It doesn't matter the exact direction as long as each square is farther away from you then when it started.

The number given is the max distance of the push. You can push for less. That number can also be 0 (thus not having to push).

Obryn

Hero
1. Push says push away from you - does that mean directly away from the square you are in, or away from you in any direction you state ie.
Every square needs to be further away from you, remembering to count diagonals the same as sides. You can't have two squares in a push be the same distance from you.

2. If you have an area affect push are they all pushed the same direction, and is this dependant if its a blast or a burst or a ranged or a melee.
Every target can be pushed different paths. It doesn't matter blast, burst, ranged, melee - pushes are always away from YOU.

3. Says you can push, so it is optional you dont have to ?

4. If its optional do you have to push them the full distance or do you have option to push them part of the distance.
It is completely optional; you can push all of the distance, none of the distance, or anything in-between.

-O

Istar

First Post
Thats nice but ridiculous when a wizards force blast at will push's people in different directions.

But I like it for my controller rogue.

It therefore is very dangerous to be walking on the outside square of high precipes or anywhere in fact near precipes when Wizards are around.

I assume you have to push in a straight line and not around corners or pinballed into rooms.

My L12 Rogue will be pushing 7 squares on a crit.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Thats nice but ridiculous when a wizards force blast at will push's people in different directions.
How so?

It therefore is very dangerous to be walking on the outside square of high precipes or anywhere in fact near precipes when Wizards are around.
Yup, although the victim will get a Saving Throw.

I assume you have to push in a straight line and not around corners or pinballed into rooms.
You must have line of effect to any square you want to push the creature into.

Starfox

Adventurer
You must have line of effect to any square you want to push the creature into.

You must? I believe you're wrong here - a push doesn't care about such things as line of effect. Once its started, the only thing that matters is that each square is further away from you than the one before. You can push someone down a pipe or around a corner as long as each square is further away.

What you cannot do is push someone vertically. You cannot push an opponent up into the air (which makes sense) or pull a flier down (which makes a lot less sense).

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
You must? I believe you're wrong here - a push doesn't care about such things as line of effect. Once its started, the only thing that matters is that each square is further away from you than the one before. You can push someone down a pipe or around a corner as long as each square is further away.

What you cannot do is push someone vertically. You cannot push an opponent up into the air (which makes sense) or pull a flier down (which makes a lot less sense).
Actually, you do need line of effect. From the compendium:

Line of Effect: You must have line of effect to any square you pull, push, or slide a creature into.

DracoSuave

First Post
How so?Yup, although the victim will get a Saving Throw.

The victim also gets a saving throw into any terrain square that prohibits or penalizes movement. Those also count as hindering terrain.

But agreed on the danger factor. Playing in a RPGA game a while back, it was goblins on a bridge. Controllers aren't played often in that metagame, cause they were seen as 'low damage' back then.

So I played one.

So many goblins went over bridges to go splat on the ground below.

Obryn

Hero
Nope. A Push is always away from you; there's no special exemptions for different kinds of attacks.

(Yeah, I know. I got it wrong, too, at first.)

-O

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases