Mutants & Masterminds 3rd Edition

Blastin

First Post
Games that only use one type of die... eventually end up annoying me. :( I have all those loney polyhedrons looking up at me saying... Whyy... whyyy won't you roll me? Just once... c'mon... The d4 is like, don't you wanna know what it would be like to get a random number say between 1 and 4? Then the d12 is all like, now you know how I feel all the time jerks... and the other ones all start laughing...

This never happens to you?

Heh...I know what you mean. An old group of mine went a year playing alternating games of shadowrun and champions. I still can't look at a group of d6 without automatically counting the ones and sixes first...

I really like 2E, but I can see the desire to clean some things up. Especially as they were gonna do it anyway for the new license. Just makes sense to do it across the board.

Games that only use one type of die... eventually end up annoying me. :( I have all those loney polyhedrons looking up at me saying... Whyy... whyyy won't you roll me? Just once... c'mon... The d4 is like, don't you wanna know what it would be like to get a random number say between 1 and 4? Then the d12 is all like, now you know how I feel all the time jerks... and the other ones all start laughing...

This never happens to you?
I know what you mean. I can add up 4d6 (drop the lowest) in approximately 0.28 seconds. Skills like that atrophy if you don't use them!

coyote6

Adventurer
I know what you mean. I can add up 4d6 (drop the lowest) in approximately 0.28 seconds. Skills like that atrophy if you don't use them!

We hadn't played Champions/Hero for years, but when the rogue or sorcerer would roll some redonkulous damage total on their fistful of d6s, someone would almost inevitably say something like "and how many Body?" Someone else would have the total in a few seconds, too.

Puggins

Explorer
Non-D&D games that go >5 years between editions are very much the exception, not the rule, AFAICT.

That's not really true. Many of the most famous RPG lines have a history of long periods between editions.

Hero is technically on its 6th edition, though only 3 have been published in the past 20 years.

GURPS is on its 4th edition after 30 years

Storyteller is on its 2nd edition after 19 years

Warhammer is on its 3rd edition after 25 years

Rolemaster is still on its 1st edition

Rifts is still on its 1st edition

Runequest just published its 5th edition after 32 years

Exalted released its second edition after seven years

That's not to say that an RPG can't legitimately have quick turn-arounds for editions. I think a 3rd edition for M&M is fine- I'd like them to introduce a bit more flexibility into offensive/defensive stats- don't hard code limits by PL, rather make them progressively more expensive. I doubt I'll get my wish, though.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Rolemaster is on version ?

There was Rolemaster.

Then Rolemaster RMSS

Then Red Rolemaster RMSS

Then classic Rolemaster.

HARP fits somewhere along the lines but isn't necessarily there as it is its own game.

But Rolemaster has many problems in terms of editions which is probably one of the things hurting it. I like the whole Classic Concept myself and have those books as my 'core' as many of my older ones did not withstand the test of time.

coyote6

Adventurer
That's not really true. Many of the most famous RPG lines have a history of long periods between editions.

Hero is technically on its 6th edition, though only 3 have been published in the past 20 years.

Yeah, but one of those editions -- 4e -- was responsible for most of that time: 13 years. And the game was in limbo for some of that time, and we will not mention the Fuzion-powered version of Champions. 6e followed 5e after 7 years.

Champions 1e, 2e, and 3e all came out in, what? An 8 year span?

Storyteller is on its 2nd edition after 19 years

Storyteller? You mean the White Wolf system? Nah, there've been more than 2 editions. Vampire the Masquerade's 2nd edition came out like a year after 1e. 2e revised was 6 years later (edit: and got replaced with nWoD six years after that). IIRC, the other oWoD games had similar spans between new versions.

The nWoD has lasted six years so far.

Warhammer is on its 3rd edition after 25 years
[...]
Runequest just published its 5th edition after 32 years

Both were out of print for many of those years, though.

Exalted released its second edition after seven years

Five years, actually.

I think the DC Adventures license helped spur the new edition. Publishing DCA, you'd definitely want to update the rules to clean things up; and once you're updating the rules for DCA, you notice the stock on 2e books is low, it would make sense to use the new version of the rules to release a new version of M&M.

Also, the DC license might limit the number and/or type of books they can do; but if M&M and DCA are really the same system, then maybe they can lure new people in via DCA, and sell them M&M books, too.

Kafen

First Post
I really like 2E, but I can see the desire to clean some things up. Especially as they were gonna do it anyway for the new license. Just makes sense to do it across the board.

If you follow the boards at the Think Tank, the game is mature enough to merit the new edition. The new license and official changes that most people want from the boards are a natural thing to do at this time in my opinion.

pogre

Legend
It seems like a good time to move forward with a new edition with the new DC license. I'm not a "supers" kind of gamer, but I do admire the design of M&M.

Remove ads