Special Conversion Thread: Lycanthropes and their ilk

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
How about we call it a "dire lycanthrope" mini-template that allows the hybrid to take SAs from the base animal. Then we can have the weresmilodon and whatever else. Of course, the poor hill giant dire wereboar in the SRD will be left out, but whatever. ;)

Shade

Monster Junkie
How about we call it a "dire lycanthrope" mini-template that allows the hybrid to take SAs from the base animal. Then we can have the weresmilodon and whatever else. Of course, the poor hill giant dire wereboar in the SRD will be left out, but whatever. ;)

That could work. We could also make it a template to slap on an existing weretiger to make it saber-toothed. :)

Cleon

Legend

Well I'd just have to "update" it then, won't I. :cool:

That could work. We could also make it a template to slap on an existing weretiger to make it saber-toothed. :)

No, no. The "Saber" template should be applicable to any lycanthrope or dire animal.

Surely you remember the fearsome sabre-toothed rabbit? :p

freyar

Something like:

"Dire lycanthrope is a template that may be applied to any lycanthrope (henceforth called the base lycanthrope)."

Then, under SQ, special attacks, etc, say "The hybrid form of a dire lycanthrope gains the SQ, etc, of the lycanthrope's base animal." Or however that should be tweaked.

Mortis

First Post
Something like:

"Dire lycanthrope is a template that may be applied to any lycanthrope (henceforth called the base lycanthrope)."

Then, under SQ, special attacks, etc, say "The hybrid form of a dire lycanthrope gains the SQ, etc, of the lycanthrope's base animal." Or however that should be tweaked.

Plus how the template changes CR and Level Adjustment and I think we're done.

Regards
Mortis

freyar

Plus how the template changes CR and Level Adjustment and I think we're done.

Regards
Mortis
Probably not more than +1 to CR, I'd expect, but we could look at examples.

Could someone with more free time type this out? :heh:

Cleon

Legend
Rabbits aren't saber-toothed, they're vorpal. :)

Now, now, you know perfectly well that's a different species.

So what do we think, make a "dire lycanthrope"?

Let's go for it!

First question, do we actually give the Dire (all good saves) trait to the base animal? If not, who is it called a "Dire Lycanthrope"?

I think we should give it all-good Animal saves.

As for CR, I wonder whether its special attacks shouldn't merit a CR boost since they're already factored into its animal form.

If it gets a Will save boost for going from Animal to Dire Animal I would be happy giving it a +1 CR, but that wouldn't happen if the base creature is already a Dire Animal (e.g. a Wererat or Hill Giant Wereboar).

Remove ads