"I Quit" Public Play - Am I just an impatient jerk? (LONG)

DocSER

Explorer
I think I am giving up all public tabletop RPG play. Recently I have been playing in DnD Encounters and some game days before that. This is not really a reaction to the Encounters program or 4e though - the problems would be similar with PF or any other system.

I am curious if I have just been unlucky and my experiences atypical or if I am just an impatient jerk and everyone else just tolerates this.

Let me be specific.

I have played Encounters sessions in three locations recently. Each had their own problems - though some are common.

Location 1 - (played about a dozen sessions there)

Players were generally nice though one was a pathetic cheat. Just about every session started with a crit though no one ever saw him actually roll anything. I grew jaded when the same player was bored one day and just charged rather than actually talk out a strategy with everyone else. He died, left early, and we were screwed.

My main problem was a lack of preparation and inconsistent timing. Sessions averaged 30 minutes late with a couple that never happened due to a lack of turn out. Sometimes the DM would not show and the backup DM (at least they had one) would have to return home to get his packet.

There were some minor annoyances with distractions -- a person having his 5 year old play for him for awhile, a good deal of arriving late with food to eat during the game. These were minor though. In retrospect, it seems amusing that I stopped attending these sessions because it would get MUCH worse at the other locations I tried.

Location 2 -- one session in another town while I was on vacation

This place had a great set up and was packed (beginning of the NW cycle). I was about 5 mins late and would have been happy to not play given my late arrival. It turns out they had 3 tables already started but a fourth was just starting and had an open slot. I slid right in and took a pregen defender and put up my char (we had no other leader at the table).

There were some new players - which was great to see. The problem was that the DM and some of the other "experienced" players had no idea what they were doing. One player kept talking about how important it was to be "behind" an enemy (referring to some mythical facing rules, NOT CA). Some players were individually selecting twitter buffs that helped them individually. The buffs were changing within any given round. The new players were, rightfully, quite confused.

The large number of tables made for quite a noisy environment. That was to be expected. However our DM walked off multiple times just to check out what his friends were doing at other tables -- most humorously in the middle of his own sentence one time. He just stopped what he was saying, looked up, and walked away for a minute.

I don't think I will go back there.

Location 3 - (3 sessions)

My most recent location has been the most frustrating in a way. In these three sessions, they averaged 45 minutes late. In the worst case, we started an hour late with a new group walking in about the time we started saying that two of their friends still needed to gen characters. The second group then interrupted us about every 5 minutes to see if we were done because they wanted one of our players to DM them. It became clear that if was perfectly acceptable to show up 30 minutes late and then ask everyone to wait while one prints/gens a character, gets dinner next door, or both.

In those three session, the game became increasingly ridiculous. My char was hit by every attack in the last two sessions - totaling about 12 hits. Of these 12 hits, 2 were crits. The DM averaged criting about 25% of the time on the table. It got so crazy that the third night the DM did not bother to ever ask any of my defenses (I had not been there in two weeks - I guess he just memorized my chars stats from much earlier... riiiight). He just said, "you got hit, take X damage." When this run of hits started, I asked "do you need to know one of my defenses?""No, it was an 18 on the die". When he never asked he said, "well, the lowest roll was a 16. I am sure that would hit".

After 2.5 hours of play -- a player saying "I can't believe this phone keeps ringing""Why don't you set it to silent or vibrate?""I can't because someone might call I want to talk to"...the phone rang about 6 times. When it stopped, she got bored and put her ear buds in until someone would tap her shoulder to indicate it was her turn, she eventually missed that she was knocked unconscious -- a player just sitting there working on her school work -- and I had read the MtG rules and about 30 pages of course work myself -- I just flipped out.

Given these three locations (really the only options I have), I am done with public gaming. So, are my complaints just indicative of impatience or are these sorts of problems atypical? I feel a little guilty for flipping out but more disappointed that so promising a program as encounters has had these problems for me.

Gronin

Explorer
Wow!

I cannot speak to whether or not that is typical of Encounters as i have never attended a session. Truth be told I do not play in open public situations and quite frankly I probably never will (unless I somehow make to GenCon -- almost got the kids out of the house to begin to make it feasable). I prefer to play with friends or at the very least people in my own age bracket and there aren't (please correct me if I'm wrong) many 50 year olds at Encounters (at least not around here).

As far as to whether or not you are an impatient jerk - well I doubt I would have been as patient as you were (to be fair here I have been called things worse than jerk at times).

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a certain level of professionalism from the Encounters program. I had always assumed the WOTC had certain "guidleines" that were to be adhered to regarding behavior as it is essentially a big sales pitch for their product. At the very least you would think the game store would have a vested interest in making it as pleasant an event as possible --- after all this is their pipeline to new gamers.

Rechan

Adventurer
No, not an impatient jerk. I don't think I've ever enjoyed a game that I had at a gaming store. The noise, the flakey people, the cramped space - the last time I went to a gaming event at a gaming store, one of the players who showed up had some... mental limitations.

And the chronic lateness would upset me even more.

I can't handle chaos/distractions like that in general. And when I come to game, I come to play.

Last edited:

Kzach

Banned
Banned
No, all that is fairly typical.

I cop a lot of criticism because I often talk about my experiences dealing with this exact same situation, ie. playing D&D with randoms. The fact is, your examples are exceptionally mild compared to some of the things I've experienced over the years.

But then, what are my choices? Finding good gamers is damned hard because none of them are looking for games; they're already in good groups and have no need. Of course, that means I might be one of the bad cookies. I think I taste alright, but then nobody else will eat me :(

Pentius

First Post
Yeah, I don't really play Encounters because of a bad experience last time I tried(and now I don't even live near an FLGS, anyway). Basically, I showed up, started talking to the others who had gathered. They were pretty cool, so I didn't mind us waiting on the DM, who was late. Finally, one of the guys(we'll call him Steve) got tired of waiting, and called the absent DM, who it turned out had decided not to show because he didn't feel like it, but also not to tell anyone he wasn't coming. Steve decided to try and salvage it(I and a couple others were first timers to the store), but he didn't have the material to run Encounters(in hindsight, the store owners probably did, but we didn't ask) so he just ran us through the first bit of Keep on the Shadowfell with some pregens his wife had with her(well, characters she had made for other campaigns).

I did end up returning to the store in search of gaming(I wanted to play more with Steve, or people like him), but I wasn't really up for Encounters because it was would have been the same DM again.

I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a certain level of professionalism from the Encounters program. I had always assumed the WOTC had certain "guidleines" that were to be adhered to regarding behavior as it is essentially a big sales pitch for their product. At the very least you would think the game store would have a vested interest in making it as pleasant an event as possible --- after all this is their pipeline to new gamers.
I think they have guidelines for Encounters, I'd be surprised if they didn't, but I don't expect any professionalism to actually happen. Encounters is run, from what I've seen and heard, by volunteer players with no direct WotC involvement, so any guidelines wouldn't be enforced, anyway. And you'd think the store owners would be better about it, but professionalism in a game store owner is a risky gamble, ime. They're always either professional, helpful, and earnestly charming, or the exact opposite of those things.

Pentius

First Post
But then, what are my choices? Finding good gamers is damned hard because none of them are looking for games; they're already in good groups and have no need. Of course, that means I might be one of the bad cookies. I think I taste alright, but then nobody else will eat me :(

This is my own experience, as well. Luckily, I can always tell myself I change groups often not because I'm a bad cookie, but because I move too often.

I was the backup GM for the last Encounters season, and I'm a regular GM for the current Neverwinter season.

For the most part, our players have been pretty good, the store is organized and has backup GMs on call, games all seem to start within 15 minutes of the 6:00pm start time (which, frankly, is amazing given the work schedules and commutes in DC). The store is small and noisy, but we make it work. We're running 4 tables every Wednesday night, and have had to go to an RSVP system because we found ourselves turning people away for lack of room.

It's been a mix of teenagers to middle-aged people, a fair number of women, and all experience levels, even within the same table.

Demographically and geographically, though, we probably have a pretty big advantage. Every player I've interacted with is either a white-collar professional, student, or military. No cheetoh-fingered basement-dwelling fatbeards, no socially clueless dweebs. Cell phones are away during the game except during breaks, OOC talk is relatively minimal, and there's no rules-lawyering, arguments, or anything like that.

It's too bad the Neverwinter Encounters path is such a tremendous piece of crap. Seriously, might be the worst thing I've seen in a long, long time. The fact that the players keep coming back for it kind of amazes me. Most of them played Dark Legacy of Evard and I think they're carrying through Neverwinter on momentum.

So there are good experiences to be had. You might be better off seizing the initiative, though, amd volunteer to be a GM for the next go-around.

Last edited:

DocSER

Explorer
I feel a little less guilty now :).

I should have added that I have had good experiences with other public gaming and even (on a couple of occasions) DnD game days. I just attended my first Gencon and had good experiences with a variety of board games (Elder Sign, Mansions of Madness, Legend of Driz'zt, Stars are Right) and card games (CoC and WH). So, I don't think it is "publicness" that is the problem.

I did have some annoyances with Gencon gaming - but those were due to scheduling errors, my reliance of generic tickets, and the "couldn't care less" attitude of the people arranging the board game area for WotC. The public games were uniformly fun, though.

Maybe the heart of the problem is the level of preparedness and difficulty scaling for public games of RPGs.

DocSER

Explorer
Suggesting I volunteer to run it is a fair point. I am sensitive to the fact that I am complaining about a free service. I don't think it will solve my immediate problem, though. Even if I volunteered, I can not do much against a culture that is so tolerant of people arriving VERY late and making other people wait around. Even if I were DMing last night, I could not have started with 3 PCs and I would not have wanted to deal with 4 more people coming in at 20-30 minutes late, ask to play, and then realize they did not have their characters, dice, etc. One even complained that the dice I lent him were not rolling well and " should just go home and get my own dice."

It did not help that the adventure last night was soooooo generic. Maybe it was my DM (though I doubt it) but all we had were cloaked figures with no obvious powers other than an at-will called "you take 12 points of damage". The only point of entertainment - and it outstayed its welcome - was the Hall of Justice jokes.

Remove ads