"I Quit" Public Play - Am I just an impatient jerk? (LONG)

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Unfortunately DocSER, your experiences are reasonably typical of organized play. I stopped playing in Pathfinder Society for very similar reasons. Sorry it's a bit long, but I just wanted to share how typical these sorts of things are...

My very first session of Pathfinder Society, Cassomir's Locker, I made a dwarven cleric of Shelyn and signed up for the regular Thursday night session. The game itself was okay, but there were certainly some off-putting folk at the table.

We had one guy who turned everything into a pissing contest--whenever someone did something cool (got a crit, dropped an enemy, found a major clue) he had to tell people how he has a character in another game that could've done it better, and he has an 18th-level ranger in a home game somewhere, but Pathfinder Society is "ripping him off" by not allowing him to bring in a character from a home game. The GM also brought his strange bug-eyed teenage daughter who sat in the corner and drew anime-style comics (she wasn't playing, she was just there) and gave people creepy, intense stares with her weirdly bulging eyes. There was also a guy there with a different creepy vibe. The way he looked at people made me wonder what was going on in his head, I later found out that he was allegedly some sort of sex offender and played Pathfinder Society because people just didn't want him in their home games.

Despite the weirdness, I shrugged it off, figuring that I didn't have to play with the same people again--maybe I got the weirdo table because I was the new guy or something. The game itself was reasonably fun, so I signed up for the next session.

Unfortunately, I discovered that I did not get experience for my first session, because I didn't have a Pathfinder Society number when I started playing and the GM was therefore unable to report my session. I didn't know that I needed a number until the coordinator asked for it for the second session. So I got a number, was told that my first session didn't count, and was informed that I'd be expected to GM if I wanted to keep playing.

I figured that I'd make a new character since the first one didn't count, So I made an illusionist and showed up for Among the Living. Good stuff. The adventure was well-written, the GM good, and most of the players reasonably normal. I had a blast and figured that the first session must have been the bad eggs.

I signed up for a third session, and was placed in a group for Master of the Fallen Fortress. That game was absolutely horrible. The GM was snotty and condescending, making it very clear that he was GMing only because the coordinator was coercing him to do so. He repeatedly skipped players on their turn, apparently because he thought that the group was too large and he figured it'd be easier to just have people skip turns rather than scale the encounters.

After the game ended, I discovered that I couldn't get experience for it--apparently, Master of the Fallen Fortress can only be used for brand-new characters, but my character that I played in Among the Living was scheduled for it anyway. I never got a straight answer as to why that happened, other than the coordinator telling me that I shouldn't complain since I was "getting to play for free." I would've liked for someone to just tell me that it was an honest mistake if that's what it was... But there was no sense that anyone was going to admit to making a mistake. I was basically told that I have no basis for complaining about Pathfinder Society since I wasn't paying anyone to play it. No accountability without paychecks, so it seems.

So then I got to play Voice in the Void, which was sort of awesome. Good GM, good group, good time again. By this point, I was on the fence about Pathfinder Society, but I was willing to overlook the bad sessions. The impression was that the new blood had to go through the crappy groups to get to play with the good ones, sort of like a hazing.

I signed up for another session (I don't remember what it was, because I didn't end up playing). The game was scheduled to start at 6:00 P.M., only one group started as 6:00. Four other groups were sitting around without GMs. Text messages were sent, phone calls were made, and voice mails left. Around 6:45, someone finally got in touch with the GMs. Apparently, they were in a game at someone's house and they lost track of the time. Accounts conflict as to whether this was someone's home game or a Pathfinder Society thing that wasn't announced to the general public... Anyway, the GMs told the players to sit tight and that they'd be there as soon as they could possibly get there. Reasonable estimates placed the ETA as 7:30-ish.

Needless to say, a few tempers flared among the players. I stayed calm myself, and opined that I didn't care if they were late as long as I got my experience. At that point, some of the experienced players informed me that there was a minimum time requirement for the session to qualify for experience, and that some GMs didn't complete sessions--meaning that the players in those sessions didn't get experience, yet were considered to have played through it (meaning that they couldn't re-play the same scenario). After consulting with a few different players, the impression I got was that we would get our experience, if we could start by 8:00 P.M. and wanted to play until after midnight. I decided to wait to hear it straight from the GM's mouth. I waited until 7:30, and when GMs weren't answering their phones, I went home.

In the emails that followed, me and the coordinator didn't see eye-to-eye on the value of time. Apparently, his opinion was that Pathfinder Society officials had carte blanche to do as they pleased because they weren't getting paid, they were doing players a favor by running a game. No paycheck equals no accountability. My stance is that my time is inherently valuable, and asking me to disregard an investment of several hours of my time was unacceptable (either in sessions where I didn't get experience because of administrative oversights or in sheer waiting around for people to show up, which accounted to approximately fourteen hours--an entire day of work). We didn't see eye-to-eye on that and I haven't played Pathfinder Society since.

So, DocSER... Crappy organized play isn't limited to Dungeons & Dragons Encounters by any stretch of the imagination. :) I think that organized play tends to attract people with crappy attitudes because those folks can't convince anyone to play in a home game with them.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Well can you stand to go a few more times? This way you can poach the prime players for your own home game!
I was going to suggest the self same thing. :)

Get names, phone numbers, find out who has a nice big table, etc..

I never played in Encounters, but for some reason I was assuming that the really horrible session I watched was an exception. :-S I am sorry that it wasn't.

The Auld Grump

SoulsFury

Explorer
This thread has made me be thankful I have never attended organized play. I have trouble getting friends to be on time for regular play. Right before my table top game dissolved, we invited a new player. The first session was great. He played through it and we had a lot of fun. The second session, he interrupted play three times to take phone calls within the first 30 minutes. Fifteen minutes after that, he said he had to leave.

For now, I'm sticking to PBP. A good group of players online is more reliable because they don't have to stick to a strict schedule.

Pentius

First Post
I was going to suggest the self same thing. :)

Get names, phone numbers, find out who has a nice big table, etc..

I never played in Encounters, but for some reason I was assuming that the really horrible session I watched was an exception. :-S I am sorry that it wasn't.

The Auld Grump

I've gotta say, this has largely been my experience with organized play altogether. I keep trying, for some reason, whenever the opportunity presents itself, but it seems to me that the "just walk in" style doesn't work too well. In addition to the possibility of The Gamers No One Else Wants, you've got groups of largely strangers, which IME, tends to stifle interactions, toss less compatible playstyles together, and of course results in adventures that aren't tailored to the PCs. I suppose a well informed player could read up on what thematic material the games contain, and build to it, but I prefer, as a player, not to read the module first, because it's so easy to see spoilers.

That, and if you've got to accommodate new players coming in and old ones not-for-sure showing up, it can be a strain on inter-party relationships(which I find rather important), not to mention continuity.

Getting names, phone numbers and finding out who has the nice table(as well as weeding out the occasional bad egg) are pretty much what I use organized gaming for.

S'mon

Legend
(Edit: I DM & play at the London D&D Meetup, where GMs run their own campaigns but it's expected that you'll take pretty much any player up to your max group size, typically 5-6.)

Those sound quite bad, so I don't think you're a jerk for being upset. I haven't really seen many of these, except the lateness (and we eat food at table but I never considered that a problem, we game in pubs & it's expected we'll buy lunch/dinner there). People occasionally take phone calls, but generally everyone pays attention. Lateness is a real issue, but routine lateness is confined to a small minority of players: the lazy, the disorganised, and the overworked. Well, maybe not *such* a small minority... :) Generally as DM I start the game in reasonable time, latecomers can filter in late, and that's what most DMs do. A few lazy/disorganised DMs do start very late - worst I've seen is an 8pm start on a 7pm-10pm timeslot, losing us a third of the game time.

Last edited:

S'mon

Legend
Yeah, I don't really play Encounters because of a bad experience last time I tried(and now I don't even live near an FLGS, anyway). Basically, I showed up, started talking to the others who had gathered. They were pretty cool, so I didn't mind us waiting on the DM, who was late. Finally, one of the guys(we'll call him Steve) got tired of waiting, and called the absent DM, who it turned out had decided not to show because he didn't feel like it, but also not to tell anyone he wasn't coming. .

I haven't experienced a GM cancelling without telling the players, but GMs who cancel for trivial reasons are a pet peeve of mine. As GM you have 4-6 people depending on you; to me it's a fairly major responsibility and I take it seriously. I never cancel unless I'm seriously ill, swine flu level.

S'mon

Legend
Suggesting I volunteer to run it is a fair point. I am sensitive to the fact that I am complaining about a free service. I don't think it will solve my immediate problem, though. Even if I volunteered, I can not do much against a culture that is so tolerant of people arriving VERY late and making other people wait around. Even if I were DMing last night, I could not have started with 3 PCs and I would not have wanted to deal with 4 more people coming in at 20-30 minutes late, ask to play, and then realize they did not have their characters, dice, etc. One even complained that the dice I lent him were not rolling well and " should just go home and get my own dice."

It did not help that the adventure last night was soooooo generic. Maybe it was my DM (though I doubt it) but all we had were cloaked figures with no obvious powers other than an at-will called "you take 12 points of damage". The only point of entertainment - and it outstayed its welcome - was the Hall of Justice jokes.

My general policy is to start once the appointed start time has passed and I have at least 3/5 or 4/6 players, latecomers can join late. Usually if there's an early fight it'll be low-EL anyway and survivable by a smaller group. Usually I find in practice that Mr Latey turns up just as initiative is rolled!

I always make a big point of explaining how an NPC is attacking, and I'll demand the same from players, especially if I can't visualise what's happening. If players refuse to describe their attacks properly I'll steer them towards weapon-using classes where it's always some variant of "hit them with the axe". I also tell them to at least read out the power fluff-text. Monsters' powers don't get fluff text though, which makes DMing a lot harder.

Remove ads