"I Quit" Public Play - Am I just an impatient jerk? (LONG)

Steel_Wind

Legend
For what it's worth, I played my first Pathfinder Society game at Dragon*Con just last weekend, and it was fine... good DM, good players. My only "complaint" (and it isn't much of one) was that the group wasn't challenged by the specific adventure -- it was a cake-walk for first-level characters.

The other players (excluding the DM) at my table were a group who normally game together, while I was a last-minute drop-in with a pregenerated character.

Modules for PFS are balanced for 4 players. The GMs of PFS scenarios are not supposed to increase the CR when more players are at the table.

Typically, during convention play, there are often six players at the table, instead of the four that are assumed by the designer. Whie I have found that most five player PFS sessions are still well balanced, there may be some exceptions due to character class choices. (Barbarians, in particular, can be unbalancing class choices, especially at lower level)

There is no doubt that most six player tables will not be challenged by most PFS Scenarios. (Most, however, does not equal all. There are some hard Tier 1-2 scenarios, even for six players.) Do you recall which scenario it was that was being run?

Michael Brock and his crew worked pretty damn hard to make sure PFS at DragonCon was a good experience. I am glad that it was.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
It was First Steps, part 2 -- To Delve the Dungeon Deep.

Ah - that is one of the intro to PFS scenarios, part two of three. That line of scenarios was made just for people new to PFS and likely a little soft with a focus more on how things work in PFS play.

Steel_Wind

Legend
It was First Steps, part 2 -- To Delve the Dungeon Deep.

Hmm, interesting. I'm scheduled to run that a week from tonight at Thursday Night @ Dueling Grounds.

Another GM ran the same mod last month at my Tuesday PFS night and he told me later he had been worried about character deaths - but there were only four PCs in that run. I expect that was probably the big difference when he ran it -- but I will be certain to keep an eye on that during the session.

Thanks!

IronWolf

blank
Hmm, interesting. I'm scheduled to run that a week from tonight at Thursday Night @ Dueling Grounds.

Another GM ran the same mod last month at my Tuesday PFS night and he told me later he had been worried about character deaths - but there were only four PCs in that run. I expect that was probably the big difference when he ran it -- but I will be certain to keep an eye on that during the session.

Sounds like AncientOne's group he played with at the con had several players that played together regularly. That can frequently make a difference as well in the difficulty of a scenario.

Gondsman

Explorer
I was excited for encounters just to have a regular game night for once, but i'm very quickly becoming less than jazzed.

We get the cheaters, our store allows any class/feats not just the standard Essentials books, but we've got a couple of guys who show up and must be using quantum physics on their character sheets. We have a Rogue(not theif) that doesn't have an attribute lower than 15 (his INT) a 20 DEX and has somehow come up with a 20 AC (I spent about an hour trying to figure that one out and still couldn't build a rogue higher than about 18 AC even with the 20DEX). Basically he never misses.

We have a Sentinel druid who is making up his own rules for the spirit companion and nobody will call him on it. Also he is constantly wasting time looking up information that should be on his character sheet.

I can deal with the above issues, Go ahead and cheat it doesn't hurt my play. My biggest problem is that most every night we have a party size of 6-7 so the encounters combats end up being less than 3 full rounds (i got all of 2 turns last night), with a lot of waiting for your turn. Last night, the guy whose initiative came up last left the store and walked two blocks to 7-11 to buy a bag of gummies, and when he got back, we were only half way through the order.

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I've been going to my Friendly Semi-Local Gaming Store which has EIGHT tables of D&D 5E (ostensibly Adventurer's League but in reality each DM is just doing whatever I want which I have no problem with) all of them reliably packed with EIGHT OR MORE people. Found myself seated at the least overloaded table, and still found my patience sorely tried by the other players, and no, not just the guy playing a female Lawful Good Kobold Monk in a Luchador outfit--no one ever knows what they're going to do when their turn comes up in combat, every combat turn winds up being a five minute conversation with the DM, the idea of rolling damage dice and attack dice at once is seemingly foreign to them--the DM is fine, not mediocre I'd say but very standard. I've played with them three times I believe and we've yet to finish more than one combat encounter in a 3-3.5 hour session. Anyway, with the fact that it reliably takes between 15 and 30 minutes between my turn coming up in combat and my NEXT turn coming up in combat with SIX players, I have a feeling I would be bored to DEATH at an 8-person table unless the players were a lot more competent and/or the DM was some kind of goddamn genius.

cmad1977

Hero
I don’t do public play(not that I wouldn’t but don’t need to and don’t have the time currently). One thing that would be a deal breaker for me on day one would be lateness.
A game starts 30 minutes late? I’m out.

Kingsrule doesn’t DO ‘late’.

Remove ads