• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Doubt about Familiars and mounts

Binho

First Post
Ive searching for a gish build that uses familiar as a mount. I tried many forms of otimization (nope, I dont want THE best build. I just want an build that is fun and still strong), but the better way to do so is polymorph my familiar to, for exemple, a Griffon. So I encountered a doubt about the ability share spell.

If I polymorph myself, my familiar would be polymorphed as well. My doubt is if I polymorph myself into a Girallon, my familiar would be a Girallon too? Or it would be affected by the spell polymorph as cast on the familiar, making me a girallon and it a griffon, for exemple?

Just to add, Does anyone know how to make the best build of a gish mounted on the familiar? This thought started with my sorcedin. Ive tried druid/mage/ardent hierophant, but i would like something that posses as many arcane spell levels as possible. Of course, the weapon i have in mind is lance, with a variable size to use some strategies against uncommon foes.
Thanks in advance.
PS: sorry for my poor english...

Empirate

First Post
I believe you choose the parameters of a spell you cast on both yourself and the familiar (via Share Spells) at the time of casting. "At the master’s option, he may have any spell he casts on himself also affect his familiar." That means you cast the spell on yourself and make the usual choices to go along with casting that spell (in the case of Polymorph, what form you want to turn into). Those choices go for that casting of the spell, so they affect the familiar in the same manner.

Note that you can cast spells on your familiar that have a target of "You". So you can cast Polymorph twice to turn yourself into a Girallon and the familiar into a Griffon. This has the added benefit that the spell on the familiar doesn't end once it's farther than 5' away from you.

frankthedm

First Post
Note that you can cast spells on your familiar that have a target of "You". So you can cast Polymorph twice to turn yourself into a Girallon and the familiar into a Griffon. This has the added benefit that the spell on the familiar doesn't end once it's farther than 5' away from you.
You can cast polymorph on anyone. It is a touch range spell. It hasn't been Polymorph Self for some time.

Empirate

First Post
Oh, right. Well, incidentally it doesn't change the truth of what I said, only the reasoning (range: touch instead of Share Spells)...

Binho

First Post
I believe you choose the parameters of a spell you cast on both yourself and the familiar (via Share Spells) at the time of casting. "At the master’s option, he may have any spell he casts on himself also affect his familiar." That means you cast the spell on yourself and make the usual choices to go along with casting that spell (in the case of Polymorph, what form you want to turn into). Those choices go for that casting of the spell, so they affect the familiar in the same manner.

Thats sad... I wanted to save spells and the familiar would be below the character. so the 5' feet range wouldn't be a problem.
But now the challenge is to make my tiny familiar at least medium size to make it polymorph to a monster large, using as less spells as possible.
Thankyou for the answer!

Visigani

Banned
Banned
The Blade Guardian is a medium familiar and it can be modified to become large. Teehee.

Last edited:

Binho

First Post
Bladed Guardian needs improved familiar, the feat I'm trying to avoid. Moreover it needs Arcane Spell Cast Level of 11, and that would take too long to happen. I was thinking something around level 8 or 9. I was thinking in enlarge person and permanency, something about it...

jefgorbach

First Post
If allowed Mongoose has a feat to increase your familiar one size.
otherwise the same could be done with a custom item of Enlarge.

Empirate

First Post
How about the following: play a Halfling with a Raven familiar. Cast Enlarge Person on yourself, and share it with your Raven. The Raven is now small size. Now, dismiss or dispel Enlarge Person on yourself only, then cast Reduce Person on yourself. You are now tiny, and can ride your small-sized Raven familiar. Great image, and a nice buff for AC and attacks (ray spells).

Remove ads