Great Authors that AREN'T in Appendix N.

Nellisir

Hero
We've all heard about Appendix N. What are some OTHER great fantasy authors that could, should, or might be worthy to influence D&D, or at least provide a great read?

I'll go through this thread in a week or so and compile all the names into a handy-dandy list. Call it Appendix EN.
UPDATE: List to date is on post #33.

Here's Appendix N for reference. :)
[FONT=verdana,arial]
Anderson, Poul: THREE HEARTS AND THREE LIONS; THE HIGH CRUSADE; THE BROKEN
SWORD
Bellairs, John: THE FACE IN THE FROST
Brackett, Leigh
Brown, Frederic
Burroughs, Edgar Rice: "Pellucidar" series; Mars series; Venus series
Carter, Lin: "World's End" series
de Camp, L. Sprague: LEST DARKNESS FALL; THE FALLIBLE FIEND; et al
de Camp & Pratt: "Harold Shea" series; THE CARNELIAN CUBE
Derleth, August
Dunsany, Lord
Farmer, P. J.: "The World of the Tiers" series; et al
Fox, Gardner: "Kothar" series; "Kyrik" series; et al
Howard, R. E.: "Conan" series
Lanier, Sterling: HIERO'S JOURNEY
Leiber, Fritz: "Fafhrd & Gray Mouser" series; et al
Lovecraft, H. P.
Merritt, A.: CREEP, SHADOW, CREEP; MOON POOL; DWELLERS IN THE MIRAGE; et al
Moorcock, Michael: STORMBRINGER; STEALER OF SOULS; "Hawkmoon" series (esp. the
first three books)
Norton, Andre
Offutt, Andrew J.: editor of SWORDS AGAINST DARKNESS III
Pratt, Fletcher: BLUE STAR; et al
Saberhagen, Fred: CHANGELING EARTH; et al
St. Clair, Margaret: THE SHADOW PEOPLE; SIGN OF THE LABRYS
Tolkien, J. R. R.: THE HOBBIT; "Ring trilogy"
Vance, Jack: THE EYES OF THE OVERWORLD; THE DYING EARTH; et al
Weinbaum, Stanley
Wellman, Manley Wade
Williamson, Jack
Zelazny, Roger: JACK OF SHADOWS; "Amber" series; et al
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
Hobb, Robin: "Farseer" trilogy, "Tawny Man" trilogy, "Soldier Son" trilogy; et al.
Kay, Guy Gavriel: TIGANA; "Fionavar Tapestry" trilogy
McKillip, Patricia: "The Riddle-Master of Hed" trilogy; et al.
Mieville, China: "Bas-Lag" series

Evenglare

Adventurer
Patrick Rothfuss, best author I have ever read. Name of the Wind, and Wise man's fear. Go look it up , and read it. Then you can thank me later =)

Elf Witch

First Post
Katherine Kurtz Deryni series for psionics done right and how to deal with a powerful and corrupt at times church and clergy.

Marion Zimmer Bradley her Darkover series.

Andre Norton especially the Witch World Saga.

Jennifer Roberson The Chronicles of the Cheysuli:
An 8-volume series about a race of shapechangers and their magical animals, a divine prophecy, and a throne.

Nellisir

Hero
Patrick Rothfuss, best author I have ever read. Name of the Wind, and Wise man's fear. Go look it up , and read it. Then you can thank me later =)
You're a few months too late for me. Unless by "go look it up" you mean "go get them off your shelves and read them again", which isn't happening for awhile. ;)

Nellisir

Hero
Katherine Kurtz Deryni series for psionics done right and how to deal with a powerful and corrupt at times church and clergy.

Marion Zimmer Bradley her Darkover series.

Jennifer Roberson The Chronicles of the Cheysuli:
An 8-volume series about a race of shapechangers and their magical animals, a divine prophecy, and a throne.
Reading the first three Witch World books now, actually. :)

Elf Witch

First Post
Reading the first three Witch World books now, actually. :)

Are you enjoying them? I am big fan of Andre Norton I think I have come close to having all her books. One of my favorites is Beastmaster.

It always bothered me that Hollywood bought the rights to that novel and made the movie with Marc Singer. The reason why is the movie is nothing like the book.

In the book the Beastmaster is a Native American who has been altered to be able to telepathically communicate with animals and it is set in the future. Andre was very disappointed with what they did.

Dioltach

Legend
I'll add Scott Lynch's "Gentleman Bastard" series, Terry Pratchett, George R.R. Martin, Robert Jordan and Terry Brooks. Particularly with the last three, you might love them or hate them, but there's no denying they've been hugely important to fantasy as a genre.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I would have to add Clark Ashton Smith, who I think must have been an oversight in not making the list. You had one module completely based on his works (X2), you had some spells taken directly from it (the Geas spell), not to mention he inspired Vance's writing style, who in turn inspired EGG's.

Andre Norton is in Appenix N. She actually wrote the first D&D novel (Quag Keep) after playing D&D.

Funny enough, it sort of has the same plot as the D&D Cartoon (players getting caught up in a fantasy world, in this case, Greyhawk)

But yeah, she is one of those pioneering authors of modern fantasy that seems to be unappreciated these days

Gilladian

Adventurer
Elizabeth Moon, for the way in which her fantasy gaming clearly illuminated her earliest books - the Paksennarion Trilogy (Sheepfarmer's Daughter, Divided Allegience, Oath of Gold) and the subsequent novels.

Lois Bujold's fantasy, most specifically Curse of Chalion, which I think is the best book she's ever written (despite the fact that I've named all my cats over the past 15 years after characters in the Vorkosigan series). The Sharing Knife series doesn't have quite the impact, but the worldbuilding is fantastic, there, as well.

I'm also a tremendous fan of Andre Norton. Her books are timeless. Quag Keep, however, may be one of the worst she ever wrote. Try Forerunner Foray, Judgement and Victory on Janus, or Dark Piper, which is chilling. Even her very first novel, the Prince Commands, still stands up and is a great adventure story.

Edit - Susannah Clark's stunningly marvelous Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel. Any gamer who cannot get something from that novel just isn't trying!

Remove ads