D&D 5E 5E imbalance: Don't want to play it

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
What are some of the imbalances in 5E that leave you with the desire not to convert or play it?

For me its the flexibility of casters over non-casters and if you want to play a complex character you are forced to play a caster. If you want to play a simple character you are forced to grab a non-caster.

The imbalance is somewhere between 3.5E and 4E. Its more balanced than 3.5E, but much less balanced than 4E.

What are some of the imbalances in 5E that leave you with the desire not to covert or play it?

Herschel

Adventurer
I'm kind of with you. Only one of the fighter options strays from "I duz damage, duuuuuuhhhhh" and it's not yet robust enough for my tastes. We'll see what happens with teh actual released version of the game.

keterys

First Post
I just can't get past the stupid belts of strength. I doubt that'll really change whether I play or not, but argh, they annoy me.

D'karr

Adventurer
I think it's way too early for me to gauge the options for the game and their "perceived imbalance" by just looking at the early playtest materials. The game is not even published. So I'll wait and see.

This thread feels a little close to edition warring: complaining without offering constructive criticism or useful feedback.

Really, my big problem with 5e is monster math. Monsters are just not a threat and you can fight monsters of much higher level without difficulty.
We'll see if they can fix that (and fix it across all levels), which is the big test.

Wulfgar76

First Post
What are some of the imbalances in 5E that leave you with the desire not to convert or play it?
I think you're looking for reasons to dislike a game before you try it. A better route would be to tell us why you don't like it, or what you think you don't like about it.

That said, my D&D Next campaign is 8th level, and I've found no glaring imbalances. DDN is miles more balanced than 3.5.

For me its the flexibility of casters over non-casters and if you want to play a complex character you are forced to play a caster. If you want to play a simple character you are forced to grab a non-caster.
This criticism can be applied to all editions of D&D, except maybe 4th. Are you looking for melee characters with a multitude of powers spelled out and hardcoded into the class? If so, I'd suggest playing 4e.

For me, the Improvise action covers just about everything you'd want to do as a melee character. Plus I expect fleshed out rules on the classic combat maneuvers like trip, disarm, sunder, bull rush, etc.

The imbalance is somewhere between 3.5E and 4E. Its more balanced than 3.5E, but much less balanced than 4E.
This is probably true in a sense, but what you call imbalance I call freedom to improvise and real feeling of unexpected chance and danger.

What are some of the imbalances in 5E that leave you with the desire not to covert or play it?
None that leave me with a desire not to play it, but I can tell what you're fishing for here, so here's one: Wizards can indeed end an encounter quickly if they choose to expend one or more of their best spells. There is a little bit of 'Save or Lose' in D&D Next, but it's less severe and doesn't feel like a cheap 'I win' button as in editions past.

Uller

Adventurer
This thread feels a little close to edition warring: complaining without offering constructive criticism or useful feedback.

I agree. It feels like a "I've decided 5e will suck because it's not 4e..." thread. If you like 4e and it's number of options for powers, feats, etc, keep playing it. Once 5e comes out and some of the tactical and other modules that are supposed to give it more of a 4e feel then give them a try if you like.

Cybit

First Post

Not true - there are now complex fighters & simple mages.

Please drop this idle speculation unless you're looking at the latest documents.

Wangalade

Explorer
I haven't actually had a chance to play it yet, but just from looking at the rules i don't agree with the OP. it seems the only thing that makes spellcasters more complicated would be their spell lists, other than that each type of class can be just as complicated. each chooses a more specific class at level 2 or 3, each class can choose feats instead of ability modifiers, etc.

Remove ads