D&D 5E 5E imbalance: Don't want to play it

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
Yeah, don't forget the difficult terrain either. If you place it right creatures will have to do 2 dex saves and then str saves to get out...

Cybit

First Post
Yeah, don't forget the difficult terrain either. If you place it right creatures will have to do 2 dex saves and then str saves to get out...

Based on what I've seen - I don't think (ok I'm reasonably sure) that's not what they intended to do as much as poor clarification on how the spell works. Think it's supposed to be a single dex save (succeed) or a single str + single dex (if you fail).

Lokiare

Banned
Banned
Based on what I've seen - I don't think (ok I'm reasonably sure) that's not what they intended to do as much as poor clarification on how the spell works. Think it's supposed to be a single dex save (succeed) or a single str + single dex (if you fail).

Well the area is difficult terrain and you can have 40 feet of difficult terrain. So you can place it in such a way that a creature is on one end and must move through it to get out. Which means it will take 1-2 whole turns just to get out.

The exact wording is "Each creature that starts its turn in the webs or enters them for the first time during its turn..."

So Each round they are in the web they make a dex save. So every round they make a dex save and then use their action to try to break free with a strength check. Which means its worse than before. While they have the same chance of breaking free, they have an increasingly larger chance of becoming restrained. With the difficult terrain bit and being in it for 1-2 rounds minimum, we end up with a very powerful spell for second level.

One in which the DM has to counter by having every creature carry torches or breathing fire.

Remove ads