D&D 5E The Case for a Magic Item Shop?

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
I agree that playing in a game where your character can't contribute in the way you anticipated is not fun and something should probably be done to rectify the situation.

I wouldn't put all of the responsibility on the DM for this though. One of the problems is that the OP designed a ninja-like character that had no plan to be able to see in the dark. This is a pretty essential consideration when you are designing a character that is meant to strike from the darkness!

When you look at the most ninja-like class in the PH, the way of the shadow monk, you see that the darkvision spell is supplied as an option fairly early on (3rd level). The other obvious ninja-like class, the rogue, can get darkvision at 8th level as an arcane trickster. Other ninja-like classes get darkvision at the following levels:

Warlock: 2nd level
Ranger: 7th level
Fighter: 8th level

Aside from that, there is also the Find Familiar trick I mentioned earlier. A similar trick can be done with the Beast Senses spell. It has a shorter duration but doesn't require your action. Like Find Familiar, it is a ritual and available to any character that takes the Ritual Caster feat.

In short, their are many ways for a human ninja to get the ability to see in the dark other than magic items.

The other obvious way is to work with the other players. Wizards, druids, sorcerers, and rangers all have access to darkvision. The spell lasts for 8 hours and doesn't require concentration. If a party has a scout that can't see in the dark, it benefits everyone to spend a 2nd level spell slot to help him out.

Happy gaming!

I think the way to go for me will probably be to buy scrolls to have someone else cast on me. I'd feel like it is too much of an imposition to ask them to give up one of the two spells they gain for leveling (and one of the high level ones at that) to gain Darkvision. Also it would be an imposition to make them burn a spell slot on it twice a day for me. With the scroll, it doesn't cost them anything to do it.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Lots of good ideas here already. If the world is ending in just a few days, like the OP said, it sounds like a short term problem. Just tough it out for a few sessions and your problem is solved one way or another. If you really will be there a while, see if the DM will let you take something like the monster ability tremorsense as your next feat. The flavor fits the situation - denied the ability to see much of the time, you learn to rely on your other senses.

And I think I must have missed something about the situation. If you're isolated in a dark wilderness full of demons, where would you expect to find a magic shop?

Dausuul

Legend
Wow, why didn't I think of this before! I'll just refuse to throw the Disadvantage dice on my attack rolls. If the GM calls me on it, I'll say I don't have to because because Ninja. I'll also tell him that enemies don't get Advantage to hit me for the same reason.
Snarky, but appropriate. There seem to be an awful lot of people saying the proper response is to just sort of deal with it, without indicating how.

I still think the proper approach, if none of your fellow PCs can assist you, is to look for a solution in-game (locate somebody with goggles of night or some other source of darkvision, and obtain them by fair means or foul). If that doesn't seem to be working, have a quiet chat with the DM about the problem. It sounds like there was a miscommunication about what the campaign was going to involve; it's not unreasonable to ask to be allowed to tweak your character design a bit.

Since you're coming up on a new feat slot, another alternative would be to propose a homebrewed feat, something like this:

Blind Master: You are experienced at operating without vision.
  • Being unable to see an opponent does not give that opponent advantage to hit you.
  • You can sense the location of any creature within 10 feet of you, and being unable to see such creatures does not impose disadvantage on your attacks.
  • As an action, you can focus all your attention on your non-visual senses, granting you blindsight within a 60-foot radius until the start of your next turn. If you are a rogue, you can use this ability with Cunning Action.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Perception is not limited to sight. If the DM is treating it that way then yeah it sucks, and bats and many other underground creatures that don't rely on sight shouldn't exist in the world either.

You are aware that those animals have different sensory organs and neuro-processing capabilities than a human, correct? That these evolved of thousands of years to adapt to these situations over generations, not after a few weeks for a single creature. If not, rest assured, the writers of the D&D rules at least knew this and incorporated this knowledge into the write-up of the bat.

The rules of the game actually say that those creatures possess a special ability that lets them use a sense other than normal sight; an ability that humans explicitly do not have according to the rules. If you don't believe me, consult the human write-up in the player's handbook and the bat write-up in the appendix and you will see it. Note the bat's "Blind Sight" and "Echolocation" entries, and the human's lack of the same.

mcbobbo

Explorer
Given your 'trapped in not-Underdark cavern on short time table and cannot leave' constraint, I'd suggest you try one of these three options:

1) Talk to your GM about it directly. Go directly to your GM, do not pass Go, do not collect $200. If you did that already and I missed the post, I apologize. Start with, "this isn't as fun as I thought it would be" and end with "what do you think". Do this before doing anything else. If this option does not work with this GM at this game table, then the game/character isn't the problem. Look for out-of-game solutions, like a different group.

2) Talk to your GM about it indirectly. This is really only an option if you cannot fathom option 1 above, and if so it may or may not work for those same out-of-game reasons. But you do have multiple methods to try:

a) Knowledge Underdark checks
b) Augury spells
c) Interrogate captured NPCs

etc

3) Suck it up. And again, only after failing at options 1 and 2 above, if you really can't fix it, then realize that you can't fix it and act accordingly.

By the way, this advice applies to zillions of situations you're going to run into in your career as a player, so I would try it at least once. You may find it useful.

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Lots of good ideas here already. If the world is ending in just a few days, like the OP said, it sounds like a short term problem. Just tough it out for a few sessions and your problem is solved one way or another. If you really will be there a while, see if the DM will let you take something like the monster ability tremorsense as your next feat. The flavor fits the situation - denied the ability to see much of the time, you learn to rely on your other senses.

And I think I must have missed something about the situation. If you're isolated in a dark wilderness full of demons, where would you expect to find a magic shop?

I think my main complaint was that *if there were a magic shop* I wouldn't have been in the situation, because I'd have been able to buy the goggles, or at least some scrolls before we went back into the cave from the city when someone was being raised.

CapnZapp

Legend
I'm interested to see the DMG's take on what PCs are expected to do with the gold and riches they liberate from their adventures. In AD&D, most of that money went to training costs when you wanted to advance in level. In 3e and 4e, most of that money went to magic items. Since neither is the expectation in 5e, what will the money be useful for?
Yes, very much this.

Probably #1 concern.

Li Shenron

Legend
The campaign pitch was "heroes chosen by destiny, deliver this artifact to prevent the end of the world, traversing many lands to do so" not "Traverse one land, then spend several months in permanent pitch-blackness and stupid you for your character being born a human and not having darkvision. I guess Destiny had a sense of humor choosing you for this mission. It's okay though, you can carry the water for the real heroes who do have darkvision."

But I wonder, where is a DM when you need one? Where is your DM?

Is it really the case that you are the only PC without darkvision? If you weren't informed that the whole campaign (or more than 2-3 sessions, that's enough IMHO) your character was going to be seriously unable to contribute, then clearly your DM is to blame, and therefore your DM must do some work (with or without you) to solve your problem, not leave you on your own!

I think my main complaint was that *if there were a magic shop* I wouldn't have been in the situation, because I'd have been able to buy the goggles, or at least some scrolls before we went back into the cave from the city when someone was being raised.

Right, but this is an important world-building issue, thus it can't be the pretended solution. You can't pretend to change how the campaign fantasy world works because you need to fix your problem. Letting you find THE magic item that solves your problem is OK, but IMO the DM shouldn't be pushed to a major flavor change to the whole campaign.

rkwoodard

First Post
Can't re-roll. I'm 7th level and if you re-roll or join the campaign you start at level 1. I'd quit before I'd do that. See the thread on "Everyone Starts at First Level" for why.

We're not talking about a "slight penalty so you are not perfect" we are talking "YOU ARE FREAKING BLIND!!!!" That is a horrendously bad penalty to have 24/7. You had disad on all rolls, they get advantage on all rolls against you, etc.

The campaign pitch was "heroes chosen by destiny, deliver this artifact to prevent the end of the world, traversing many lands to do so" not "Traverse one land, then spend several months in permanent pitch-blackness and stupid you for your character being born a human and not having darkvision. I guess Destiny had a sense of humor choosing you for this mission. It's okay though, you can carry the water for the real heroes who do have darkvision."

If you feel that the DM should have been more open about being the Underdark for extended period of time before the campaign started, then you should not feel bad at all about asking for something to be dropped to help you out.

For my own opinion, that is no more fun-breaking than getting a taste of the underdark and being able to grab a pair of googles at a magic store. But that is just me.

Heck, the DM could include it in a spellbook as a treasure for the Wizard, and then they would not have to give up a new spell to get it. They would just need to be willing to prep and cast it (I am surprised that it is not a ritual spell and will probably make it one in my games).

RK

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
But I wonder, where is a DM when you need one? Where is your DM?

Is it really the case that you are the only PC without darkvision? If you weren't informed that the whole campaign (or more than 2-3 sessions, that's enough IMHO) your character was going to be seriously unable to contribute, then clearly your DM is to blame, and therefore your DM must do some work (with or without you) to solve your problem, not leave you on your own!

Right, but this is an important world-building issue, thus it can't be the pretended solution. You can't pretend to change how the campaign fantasy world works because you need to fix your problem. Letting you find THE magic item that solves your problem is OK, but IMO the DM shouldn't be pushed to a major flavor change to the whole campaign.

We've been playing this setting since AD&D 2e. There have always been magic item shops till this edition... then they somehow disappeared. So not having the item shops is the intrusion into the setting, not the other way around.

Remove ads