D&D 5E Extra Attack Questions

maritimo80

First Post
A multiclass character fighter 5 / Wizard 5, where the 5th level of Fighter Attack Extra he wins, he could with this Extra Attack drop a spell? That is, in turn use their normal attack to cast a spell and use this extra attack to use a second magic?

Dausuul

Legend
No. Extra Attack is quite narrowly drawn: If you take the Attack action, you attack twice instead of once. You're still only taking one action. If you choose to cast a spell, then you are not taking the Attack action and Extra Attack doesn't apply.

Jaelommiss

First Post
The attack action and the casting a spell aciton are separate under the rules of combat. No spells for extra attacks. The warcaster feat allows the use of a spell in place of a weapon attack for an opportunity attack, but that is the only time I can think of where a spell replaces a weapon attack.

guachi

Hero
This can't be done with any feature I can think of. You can get close with some archetype abilities. The Eldritch Knight has a similar feature called War Magic. See page 75 of the PHB.

Beginning at 7th level, when you use your action to cast a cantrip, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. Here, the entire action is taken with the cantrip and an attack is moved to the bonus action.

The other class that has something similar is the Valor Bard with Battle Magic. At 14th level, you have mastered the art of weaving spellcasting and weapon use into a single harmonious act. When you use your action to cast a bard spell, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action. The only difference between this and the Eldritch Knight's ability is the bard can cast a spell of any level and the Eldritch Knight is limited to a cantrip.

In neither case does the archetype ability grant a weapon attack AND a spell casting within the regular Action.

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
The only time the multiclass can attack and cast a standard 1-action spell would be by using his action surge... he casts with his 1st action, then attacks with the action surge action, and possibly a bonus action cast spell, as well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
all this info is in the book if only you'd read it more carefully.

Did you happen to notice the OP's location? English is not his first language. So, cut him some slack, okay?

The board exists, in part, for folks to come and give each other a hand with rules. We'd prefer you not discourage people from asking questions. Thanks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
all this info is in the book if only you'd read it more carefully.

@rjfTrebor, you are showing a pattern of snide posts. This isn't the first time I've warned you, and the post reports are beginning to pile up. Allow me to be clear, since friendlier nudges are being ignored: stop being a jerk, or you'll be asked to leave. Any questions, email or PM me.

rjfTrebor

Banned
Banned
@rjfTrebor, you are showing a pattern of snide posts. This isn't the first time I've warned you, and the post reports are beginning to pile up. Allow me to be clear, since friendlier nudges are being ignored: stop being a jerk, or you'll be asked to leave. Any questions, email or PM me.

didn't your teacher ever tell you go look up something in the dictionary rather than just hand you the answer? i don't see how i was being snide.

Antz7766

First Post
Also not sure if it has been pointed out before, but I recall reading somewhere that you can't actually cast more than one spell that requires a spell slot in a single turn even if you have the actions to allow for multiple casting. It might have been in one of the twitter/reddit response from Mike

Remove ads