D&D 5E Can you cast flame blade and then make an improvised weapon attack with the flame blade?

Incenjucar

Legend
And only applies to the proficiency bonus. You're ignoring the part that relates to your claim:
Often, an improvised weapon is similar to an actual weapon and can be treated as such.​
I acknowledge that I was incorrect about the rules covering this, but whether or not this rule applies to a given item is up to the DM, by RAW, which moots the conversation unless it was instead "as a DM, what would you do?"

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I think that is what my post was asking. It is not a "weapon" as defined on the weapon table and he is not proficient in it, but what if he swings it at someone like a weapon? That would be an improvised weapon using the attack action. The consensus seems to be he can't do that.
Here's the issue.

1) If it's is not a weapon, then it is not an object and cannot then be used to improvise a weapon.

2) If it is an object, then it's an object that is a sword(per the description) and that makes it a weapon. Weapons cannot be used to be an improvised weapon unless used in a manner that they were not intended to be used. i.e. A pommel strike or holding it by the blade and clubbing someone. Using it like this would do significantly less damage(probably 1d6) and still would not allow a bonus to damage based on strength as the spell description doesn't say you can add a stat modifier to damage.

Incenjucar

Legend
Overall, any time a player busts out the "can I use a conjugation of vague rules to break the obviously intended use of an ability" thing, it's time to bust out the DM eyeroll.

Creativity is great for situational scenarios, but eking out more power from an ability goes bad, fast.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that the flame blade is not an object. If it had physicality, it would do some physical damage in addition to the fire damage. It doesn't because it's pure fire and is not an object.

ECMO3

Hero
If I draw a picture of a scimitar on a piece of paper, it's clearly similar to a scimitar, so I can use it as an improvised scimitar, am I right?
You can certainly use it as an improvised weapon. RAW it must be "like" a Scimitar to use it as a Scimitar. I guess it is down to how you define "like".

You can certainly use it as an improvised weapon. RAW it must be "like" a Scimitar to use it as a Scimitar. I guess it is down to how you define "like".
RAW, an improvised weapon must be wieldable in one or two hands. I'd say a piece of paper is too flimsy to be "wielded". A rolled up newspaper would qualify!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
How I'd rule:

1) Bonus action: Fiery blade in your free hand, shaped like a scimitar, lasts 10 mins, disappears if you let it go but reappears with a future bonus action. It sheds light.

2) You can (but not must) use your action to make a melee spell attack with it, and a hit does 3d6. A melee spell attack is not "taking the attack action" so no additional attacks can be made if you choose this option.

3) You can (but not must) instead use your action to take the attack action. You can make a melee attack with the fiery blade shaped like a scimitar. Since it is not an actual scimitar, just an object evoked to be shaped like one, it is an improvised weapon. Unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat or something which gives similar benefits, your attack will not include your proficiency bonus because, while it might look like a scimitar, it's really malleable flaming energy with a pommel. On a hit "the DM assigns a damage type appropriate to the object" and in this case the damage is 3d6. You can use extra attack to attack again.

So if you want to use extra attack, you have to use the improvised weapon rules, and the object is so unusual you won't be adding your proficiency bonus to the attack. But you will be getting the 3d6 damage per successful hit, and you will get your extra attack.

Last edited:

Remove ads