D&D 5E You Roll Low, Nothing Happens. Can this/should this be changed?

Rhenny

Adventurer
Have the player who missed describe why it happened.

This is nice. Here's something you could do that makes missing not as bad for the players too:

If the player describes the miss or failed attempt, give him or her a chit. After the player gains 3 chits, award an inspiration point.

I like this idea because it encourages players to do things that they may not succeed at, and it helps me as DM award inspiration more objectively rather than subjectively.

It can also apply for misses in combat and also failed checks.

Nebulous

Legend
This is nice. Here's something you could do that makes missing not as bad for the players too:

If the player describes the miss or failed attempt, give him or her a chit. After the player gains 3 chits, award an inspiration point.

I like this idea because it encourages players to do things that they may not succeed at, and it helps me as DM award inspiration more objectively rather than subjectively.

Interesting.

Rhenny

Adventurer
Interesting.

My group and I came up with this from when we used to play Star Wars d6 (West End Games). In that game (and even now in the new Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPGs), there were a ton of opportunities for success and failure that provoked complications, and the system was point buy where xp could be used to raise skills, etc. In our games, anytime a pc used a skill and got a complication or a critical success (6 on the wild die), we'd award a chit. Then, each 3 chits would equal 1 xp. It kept the players from having fits when complications arose (sometimes the complications damaged or broke equipment so it would cost the PCs dearly). It was fun.

Recently I was playing in a group with two brand new players. A couple of times during the session one of the players rolled low and missed during a combat. She asked me later why the game was set up that way (she's played a few boardgames, but nothing like D&D). I guess I didn't have a good answer for her. I've done some reading on the subject since, looking at how different games handle "failure" and I wondered what approaches/thoughts you guys had.

So - what should happen when a player rolls low? In combat and out of combat?

PS - I tend to run groups of 3-5 players, we have a quick pace and it doesn't take long to get around the table in initiative order. We do narrate misses just as we narrate hits, but mechanically a low roll is often a "null" effect in combat. Out of combat failing a roll rarely has a "null effect", I use "let it ride" from Burning Wheel (in which a player makes say one stealth roll to infiltrate a keep rather than multiple as they approach) and never ask for a roll that doesn't have an interesting result for failure - but in combat that's not so easy in D&D.

Cheers!

You could have her roll damage anyway, and use that to narrate the results of the miss. If she rolls low damage, it's a low-force blow, so "You cautiously probe the Gibberling with your shortsword but he catches it on his shield--no damage is inflicted," but if she rolls high, "You swing a mighty blow (12 HP!) at the Gibberling but the swing goes wild!"

I don't do that with damage because it's not a problem at my table, but I do do that with initiative: everybody declares their actions, and then everybody rolls attacks/damage on everything, and then if necessary we roll initiative to see who actually got their attacks off before getting killed.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter

I like your extrapolation enough that I'm going to present it to my group to see if they'd like to add it to our house rules.

Grazie!

Nebulous

Legend
My group and I came up with this from when we used to play Star Wars d6 (West End Games). In that game (and even now in the new Fantasy Flight Star Wars RPGs), there were a ton of opportunities for success and failure that provoked complications, and the system was point buy where xp could be used to raise skills, etc. In our games, anytime a pc used a skill and got a complication or a critical success (6 on the wild die), we'd award a chit. Then, each 3 chits would equal 1 xp. It kept the players from having fits when complications arose (sometimes the complications damaged or broke equipment so it would cost the PCs dearly). It was fun.

Unfortunately, myself and my players are awful at awarding and using Inspiration. They've all had it the past 3 sessions and no one even remembers to use it. Maybe this method would jog their memory. And mine.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Recently I was playing in a group with two brand new players. A couple of times during the session one of the players rolled low and missed during a combat. She asked me later why the game was set up that way (she's played a few boardgames, but nothing like D&D). I guess I didn't have a good answer for her. I've done some reading on the subject since, looking at how different games handle "failure" and I wondered what approaches/thoughts you guys had.

So - what should happen when a player rolls low? In combat and out of combat?

One thing that Dungeon World does that I'm kind of fond of: monsters don't get their own turns usually. But if you miss one, it gets a turn.

You could extend that to 5e pretty easily. Maybe let a missed critter take its action then, rather than waiting for its turn (it could still move on its turn).

Rhenny

Adventurer
Unfortunately, myself and my players are awful at awarding and using Inspiration. They've all had it the past 3 sessions and no one even remembers to use it. Maybe this method would jog their memory. And mine.

That's one of the reasons why I came up with the idea. Using inspiration was definitely something that had to be learned and as DM I had to train myself to award it.

When we played, I'd keep a sign out in front of me to remind me about "INSPIRATION." lol

Vael

Legend
Outside of combat, I'm tempted to use the idea of success with cost. So, if a roll fails by less than 5, the player has the option of succeeding at a moderate cost. So, while a failed persuasion check can turn into a success with a large bribe or offered service, etc.

Remove ads