Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Another New Ranger Variant

*Deleted by user*

Paraxis

Explorer
The latest Unearthed Arcana article, by Mike Mearls, offers us a new look at the ranger, based on concerns that "feedback on fifth edition D&D has shown that the ranger lags behind the other classes in terms of power and player satisfaction." This variant focuses on the Ranger's roles as skirmishers, wanderers, and guardian from levels 1 through 5, with Ranger Paths such as the Guardian, the Seeker, and the Stalker.

You'll find it right here.

Original post:

Newest UA article is up and it seems odd to me, another ranger.

Attachments

• DD-Logo.png
    DD-Logo.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 5,993
Last edited by a moderator:

Inconnunom

Explorer
I am looking forward to the conversations regarding this. A few things were immediately clear-
1. 2d6 for hit points. I... don't like that. While it has shadows of the old 1e ranger, the 2d bonus was first level only. Making the Ranger the highest hp character seems- not right. (Expected hp value of Ranger, per level, is 7. Barbarian is 6.5).
2. Only up to 5th level?

I think that this is a good start. We are never going to get rid of the Ranger, and this seems like a solid re-thinking. But it also seems a bit ... tossed off.

1. They also only have light armor. If the hit dice recovery for short rests are 1d6 + con that makes the character feel more survivaly. They also have dex and wis saves which are both fairly strong.

2. They've already stated in the past they will introduce the first 5 levels to get those right in order to set the path for the next 15. No sense introducing and balancing 20 levels if people don't like the first 5.

I find it interesting that they removed "beastmastery" in exchange for the spirit companion. On one hand, beastmasters will be disappointed. But on the other, the don't have to worry about it dying because it is a spirit that can come back.

They've also fixed the attack action = command the beast problem.

Between the hiding/skirmishing and the spirit companion, this feels really unique and organic and gives the ranger a specific feature or mechanic that sets it apart from the other classes.

Last edited by a moderator:

An automatic surprise round at first level? Uh....no. If you're surprised, you still get to act? At first level? Uh...nope again.

Skirmisher's Stealth isn't too bad...kinda like it, actually.

Still reading, but that's my first impression.

Ristamar

Adventurer
2d6 for hit dice is a poorly thought out choice. There's no good reason it shouldn't be a d12. It only complicates the hit dice recovery mechanic.

Wasnt Ranger the class with the lowest satisfaction rating? Seems normal they'd try and fiddle with it more.

So it sounds like they don't get spells in this incarnation? Primeval Awareness is, what, once a day without spells to fuel it? I guess that's OK, as it's mainly a "ribbon" ability anyways since it doesnt give direction, closeness, and a ton of stuff will trip if anyways.

Given that they are going for a lower magic option, the ghost animal seems like it should be moved to a subclass feature, and replaced with the less showy powers already in the subclasses.

Ambuscade essentially grants Action Surge every fight (yeah, fighters can take other actions, but let's be honest - it's usually Attack), which seems like it might need a tweak.

Inconnunom

Explorer
As I wrote, I think it's a good start. I agree with the change to a spirit companion. I like the skirmishing, although, as with all things, it will depend on how it plays (ambuscade seems pretty pretty good ... too good on reading, but maybe playtesting will be different).

I don't like the 2d6. The Barbarian's raison d'etre, pretty much, is no armor, most hit points. Giving another class more hit points, on average, seems like it is a poorly thought-out idea. In addition, it doesn't fully mesh with the class concept vis-a-vis the Barbarian. There were other ways to express the toughness/survivability of the Ranger.

Yea I agree with you too that it's a good start. I think the 2d6 will be ok because they don't get any other damage mitigation. Barbarians also get rage, unarmored defense, and unarmored movement. I feel like this is an attempt to make the ranger tankier without giving them evasion/dodge mechanics like rogue or monks. The ranger will be a little bit more mad than previous versions (especially given hit dice recovery has just been confirmed 1d6 + con). The spirit abilities all heavy wisdom. Dex is just like before. Con more valuable for short rests.

I dunno. I am excited about the direction. It might be a bit strong but at least it has a really solid feel that is distinct from the other classes.

Remove ads

Remove ads