Large Mount, Little Rider - examples from fiction/media to inspire a class build

Quickleaf

Legend
So, I have a fun question:

What are other examples of characters who fill a "large mount, little rider" theme besides Mowgli & Baloo (Jungle Book) and Lyra & Iorek Byrnison (Golden Compass)?

I have a player who wants to make such a character in our 5th edition game. Looking for any and all inspiration.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Any circus - when they have the young girl (typically, though I've seen a couple with young boys in the role) as part of a trained horse act.

Celebrim

Legend
Master Blaster from 'Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome'
Luna/Amok from Thundercats
Lessa/Ramoth from Dragonrider (Pern) - Lessa begins the story as an adolescent girl, maturing as Ramoth matures. Of course, even as an adult, she's tiny compared to Ramoth.

Quibbling, Mowgli generally does not use Baloo as a mount, and at least for myself I don't think of Mowgli/Baloo's relationship in those terms. It would be like think of Mr. Miyagi as Daniel-san's mount, because Miyagi carries him once. Mowgli does use Kaa as a mount on one occasion to fight the red dogs, and is frequently sunning himself on the back of Hathi but he doesn't have a special mount/rider relationship with Baloo.

Remove ads