Level Up (A5E) Sunset Riders Fantasy Western! (Campaign Setting thoughts)

GuyBoy

Hero
Just re-read Thoreau’s Walden ( after a long time) and it occurred to me that his piece about “ the railroad rides upon us”, with the play on sleepers as dead workers, could make an interesting inspiration for an undead railway in your setting.
PS I will be supporting this when it comes to Kickstarter, but I’m sure you know that already.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
So I'm starting in on writing about Green Valley and the Coral Highlands. They're meant to kind of be the 'Heart' of the setting, essentially, since the Wild West is... well. In the west. And often the deserts and scrublands of the Southwest, specifically. The Coral Highlands are also where the waters initially retreated from the inland sea and opened up the new lands. They are highlands, after all.

At the moment I'm mostly looking at how to format the individual entries and I'm tempted to stick with the SotSA method which works well for describing city-states. You've got the in-character blurb, the narrative statblock, the history section, information about building and clothing styles, and the like... The main entry sets the tone for the region and you build outward from there.

Unlike SotSA, however, I think I need a lot more "Minor Settlements" blurbs -around- the larger communities. And especially native Acadian settlements as an important function of the region.

Prior to the precipitous fall of the sea level in the Highlands, the many mesas were islands that suddenly had to change their lifestyle from fishing and farming to mostly hunting.

But it's also the region that is meant to be the "Most D&D" with Carrion Crawlers and other traditional Dungeon Dwellers being former semi-aquatic life now adapting to life in a desert and scrub environment. Likely using natural caves as dens. Particularly during daylight hours.

... so these entries are probably going to be way more detailed than SotSA's were, since mysteries about what is in the deserts of the Scorpion Lands was kind of a big deal for that setting which is less important, here, in a more 'traditional' fantasy setting.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Heeee... found a new use for Prestige:

When a party enters a Bar in a new settlement for the first time the FIRST CHARACTER through the batwing doors rolls a Prestige Check adding their Charisma or Wisdom modifier to the roll (Narrator's Choice) against the following table. You still roll with disadvantage if you're too far from your Prestige Center.

1-5: The vibe in the bar is tense and hostile. Some of the patrons recognize, and despise, you. The music stops before your spurs are finished jingling off your first step into the bar.
6-10: The vibe is tense and fearful. They don't know you, they don't trust you. Better buy some drinks.
11-15: The vibe is casual and cordial. Someone may recognize one or more members of your group in a positive manner (Whether that positivity is from a Sheriff's Deputy or an Outlaw is in the air)
15-20: The vibe is bright and people are happy. If anyone recognizes you it's a positive connection.
20-25: You are recognized by someone who goes around the bar telling stories about you. People's curiosity and openness toward you grows. Free drinks and offers of employment may roll in.
26+: You're welcomed in with open arms and cheerful faces.

(This table, of course, can be modified based on the party's reputation. A band of outlaws still gets free drinks and offers of employment on a 20-25, but it'll mostly be out of fear rather than joy.)

Being too far away from your prestige center weights this table against you pretty hard, which definitely fits the Wild West's more aggressive and fearful elements wherein a stranger in town is a potential threat.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Heeee... found a new use for Prestige:

When a party enters a Bar in a new settlement for the first time the FIRST CHARACTER through the batwing doors rolls a Prestige Check adding their Charisma or Wisdom modifier to the roll (Narrator's Choice) against the following table. You still roll with disadvantage if you're too far from your Prestige Center.

1-5: The vibe in the bar is tense and hostile. Some of the patrons recognize, and despise, you. The music stops before your spurs are finished jingling off your first step into the bar.
6-10: The vibe is tense and fearful. They don't know you, they don't trust you. Better buy some drinks.
11-15: The vibe is casual and cordial. Someone may recognize one or more members of your group in a positive manner (Whether that positivity is from a Sheriff's Deputy or an Outlaw is in the air)
15-20: The vibe is bright and people are happy. If anyone recognizes you it's a positive connection.
20-25: You are recognized by someone who goes around the bar telling stories about you. People's curiosity and openness toward you grows. Free drinks and offers of employment may roll in.
26+: You're welcomed in with open arms and cheerful faces.

(This table, of course, can be modified based on the party's reputation. A band of outlaws still gets free drinks and offers of employment on a 20-25, but it'll mostly be out of fear rather than joy.)

Being too far away from your prestige center weights this table against you pretty hard, which definitely fits the Wild West's more aggressive and fearful elements wherein a stranger in town is a potential threat.
Yoinked!

Remove ads