D&D 5E DM's Guild: The Advice You Didn't Ask For

Iosue

Legend
I absolutely agree with the OP. But his post reminded me of my recent experience with editing. I made up a 2-page questionnaire for a study I'm doing. Wrote it in Japanese, let it sit for a while so my eyes would be fresh, and then revised. Then I sent it to my research partner for for a grammar check. Revised it a number of times with her. Sent it to the professor of my department for his review. Sent it to the University's internal review board. Sent it to the IRB of my partner's company. We must have had at least a dozen pairs of eyes on this thing. Study was approved, we printed up 1000 copies and sent them out to be distributed. The first time I looked at the survey after we sent them out, I noticed like three different typos.

*headdesk*

Bawylie

A very OK person
I agree, but I do think that new creators should tend toward free and pay-what-you-want models. If for no other reason, people are a lot more forgiving of flaws with those models and a new creator can gain both experience and loyal core customers so that when that person's work is good enough they can charge pro prices for it. My concern was not about new people entering the marketplace but rather a glut of terrible products that will cause customers to feel burned because they paid actual money for someone's poorly edited, badly designed 600 word amateur effort.

Totally valid concern. I wonder if the solution is for people who DO put the effort to somehow signal it. Maybe a demo page or two, if the product is large enough.

Jeremy E Grenemyer

Feisty
Supporter
The person-hours required for that are likely prohibitive. Let the buyer beware.
They are not looking to vet work for errors, but to find good material to tag under categories of work that they would like to see more of (like side trek adventures and custom backgrounds) so they can promote it on the Guild Website.

They want to spend their bandwidth reviewing shorter documents, not 1,000 page epic adventures. (Per the 01/14/2016 podcast)

Staffan

Legend
Whatever you publish, if this is your 1st go, I'm proud of you: congratulations for getting something out there.

Your next one will be even better. You'll learn a bunch.
In the podcast, Mearls mentioned an experiment done in the context of a crafts/arts class. Half the class were told "you'll be graded on the best single thing you produce during the course", and the other half "you'll be graded on the amount of stuff you make." Which half made the best stuff? The one that were graded on amount. Apparently, making lots of stuff is good practice.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I absolutely agree with the OP. But his post reminded me of my recent experience with editing. I made up a 2-page questionnaire for a study I'm doing. Wrote it in Japanese, let it sit for a while so my eyes would be fresh, and then revised. Then I sent it to my research partner for for a grammar check. Revised it a number of times with her. Sent it to the professor of my department for his review. Sent it to the University's internal review board. Sent it to the IRB of my partner's company. We must have had at least a dozen pairs of eyes on this thing. Study was approved, we printed up 1000 copies and sent them out to be distributed. The first time I looked at the survey after we sent them out, I noticed like three different typos.

*headdesk*

Preach it. This happens all the time.

pukunui

Legend
To anyone who's thinking of submitting to DM's guild:

I am a professional (freelance) editor. I'd be willing to do a proofreading job on anything someone wants to submit, for a fandom discount. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Likewise, I am a professional (freelance) graphic designer. I, too, would be willing to help out. Even if you just want advice or a second pair of eyes rather than someone to do the layout for you.

In the podcast, Mearls mentioned an experiment done in the context of a crafts/arts class. Half the class were told "you'll be graded on the best single thing you produce during the course", and the other half "you'll be graded on the amount of stuff you make." Which half made the best stuff? The one that were graded on amount. Apparently, making lots of stuff is good practice.

That sounds really interesting. Which podcast is this, and/or who did the study? I'd like to read the details.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I've reviewed a lot of 5E products from 3PP, and I expect I'll be reviewing a bunch more. And followers of my reviews will be very aware that I come down pretty hard on the editing of adventures. Quite simply, being able to communicate your ideas is important. I'm fine with one or two mistakes, but not when they begin to interfere with my comprehension of the product.

And then there's the level of incompetence that Mouseferatu is talking about.

When your product description or front page is incoherent, that really doesn't say "Buy me!" :)

Cheers!

Remove ads