D&D 5E Where in the Forgotten Realms?: Sragadha, Langdarma, Nermoree, and more

Quickleaf

Legend
Calling any Forgotten Realms scholars!

I'd like to write an adventure involving yak-men and the World Pillar Mountains (aka Yehimal Mountains). And naturally I was wondering about the inhabitants of the surroundings lands. This map - http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...Zakhara.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100224201659 - lists a bunch of locations like Konigheim, Sragadha, and Sempadan that I've been unable to track down.

What product are these place names from? Initially I thought maybe the old video game Blood & Magic, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Then I thought The Shining South, but I got the pdf and did several word searches to no avail.

Any insight would be appreciated :)

Last edited:

Curmudjinn

Explorer
The Sempadan Forest was the southernmost tip of Faerun before reaching uncharted lands, which eventually became Zakhara(Al'Qadim) years later. It looks like it is now a forest within the Utter East.
http://www.candlekeep.com/images/sitegfx/mt_uttereast7.jpg

The biggest mountain range on Toril is called the Yehimels, and lies in the Utter East, hiding the Shangri-La-type land of Langdarma. Konigheim is a country near the range.
Sraghada, I have never seen before, but is likely a city in the many mountains of the Utter East.
EDIT: Sraghada is the peninsula of Konigheim, according to that map.

I hope that helps! Some of it may have been retconned/overwritten over the years.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The only thing I can really add is that "Durpar" and "The Golden Water" (NW corner of the Candlekeep map) would be in the very SE corner of the 4e FRCS map. My 3e FRCS map doesn't quite make it that far SE.

If you want to place the yak-men someplace closer, the Shaar and Vilhon Reach were turned into howling wilderness by the Spellplague, so when the Sundering changed everything again, the yak-men could come down out of their (nearby) high mountain fastness retreats and move in to the empty areas. They might establish a "trade town" south of the Dragon Reach as a way of delineating a boundary zone facing Nathan and Westlake and Cormyr.

Quickleaf

Legend
The Sempadan Forest was the southernmost tip of Faerun before reaching uncharted lands, which eventually became Zakhara(Al'Qadim) years later. It looks like it is now a forest within the Utter East.
http://www.candlekeep.com/images/sitegfx/mt_uttereast7.jpg

The biggest mountain range on Toril is called the Yehimels, and lies in the Utter East, hiding the Shangri-La-type land of Langdarma. Konigheim is a country near the range.
Sraghada, I have never seen before, but is likely a city in the many mountains of the Utter East.
EDIT: Sraghada is the peninsula of Konigheim, according to that map.

I hope that helps! Some of it may have been retconned/overwritten over the years.

Ah, gotcha, so the cartographer of that map had to creatively locate things based on conflicting or incomplete info.

What's the story with Konigheim? Where is that region described in FR books/supplements/games?

Curmudjinn

Explorer
Ah, gotcha, so the cartographer of that map had to creatively locate things based on conflicting or incomplete info.

What's the story with Konigheim? Where is that region described in FR books/supplements/games?

Konigheim is in the novel mentioned above, as well as briefly being mentioned in Dragon Annual #3, but no location is really described, to my knowledge. Possibly on an Al'Qadim or Kara-Tur official map?

pukunui

Legend
I can confirm that Konigheim and Sragadha do not appear in the 2e era FR Atlas. That area is just blank. The Sempadan Forest is labelled on the map, though.

Quickleaf

Legend
Also, if anyone has ideas on where to learn about various sites on this map of the Utter East, I'd be grateful!

What is the Hall of Wonder?

What is the Dock in the glacier in the Yehimals?

Are Sragadha or Sempadan described anywhere?

Who occupies the "Barbarian Marches"? Asian Indian types? Mongol types? Vikings?

And what the heck are Herne's Wood, Bjeörn's Pass, and Meadhall of the Northmen doing in the middle of Asian Indian (Sempadan) and Tibetan (Yak-folk) influenced cultures?

Last edited:

Hashimashadoo

First Post
These lands are indeed from the game Blood & Magic. However, that game was adopted in canon and is now the most detailed source of lore on this region. There was a page-long writeup in the Grand History of the Realms as well. The area also appears in the Double Diamond Saga, which has since been determined MOSTLY non-canon.

One of the FR wiki admins, BadCatMan, is probably the best source of information on this area. He also did writeups for the region over on Candlekeep.com a couple of years ago.

The Sempadan Forest is not far from the southern Capital city of Anok-Imaskar, Tempat Larang, which is detailed in an Oriental Adventures module, OA6: Ronin Challenge. Anok-Imaskar was a successor state of Imaskar and basically created the foundations of Shou Lung & T'u Lung in Kara-Tur as well as originally claiming the lands that you're asking about.

The area is populated by a pseudo-asian people (kind of east indian) called the Mar. They were visited by Ffolk and Northmen from the Moonshae Isles who ended up dominating their culture.

Last edited:

Remove ads