WotBS 3.5 Scions of Gate Pass (SPOILERS IN THE POSTS)

Bill T.

Explorer
Adventure II, Act I -- into the fire forest

Adventure II, Act I

Dramatis Personae

• Ari, a whisper gnome monk/rogue/swordsage mishmash
  • Erina, a human evoker/druid/theurge mishmash
  • Fitz, a human crusader/cleric/RKV mishmash
  • Koba, Erina's owl familiar and urban companion
  • Torrent
  • Crystin, a human psion (telepath)
I embraced the whole trillith-are-psionic thing and rewrote Crystin as a psion. Ostensibly, I should written her as a seer (clairsentience expert) rather than a telepath, but the telepath powers were generally a better fit. Eventually, I cheated and gave her a seer-only power, though. I wrote up Kathor with a psion level as well, but it never came up.

The heroes enter the fire forest and quickly come upon the wizard who tried to sneak through -- sadly, it was someone Erina recognized. They quickly put him out of his misery.

Crossing the bridge with the fire bat swarm is harrowing. Ari guides the party across, but Crystin dies in the process, much to everyone's dismay.. They hear the indomitable fire donkey, still attached to the gnome cart it was pulling, braying, so they lower Ari down to investigate and are rewarded with stand the heat potions and coins in an iron chest.

I wimped out a bit later and declared that Crystin didn't die after all. I really wanted her around for her various premonitions, and the party had already gotten attached to her. I suppose I could have made her Indomitable Fire Crystin, but ick.

I figured they'd never notice the cart on their own. They were under no compulsion to investigate the donkey, so they might have missed out on the loot anyhow.

Surprisingly, the heroes tolerate of the hell hound that dropped off the bone bearing a message, but are terribly unimpressed by what was written on the bone. They drop off the iron chest (remember, they left the case with Shealis) and leave the bone as well, wanting nothing to do with Kazyk and his demands.

Kazyk then attacks, of course, but a quick spell from Erina foils his attempt to summon lemures. Dismayed but undeterred, he wades in with his glaive but it quickly driven to teleport away for help.

Heh, poor Kazyk had no ranks in concentrate, so a single casting of
Magic Missile pretty much ruined the encounter for him.

Indomitability's trial by fire turns into a rolling game of heal-the-point-man -- Torrent and Fitz, at least, take turns getting the stuffing beaten out of them and then having to be rescued so that they can be healed while the next victim gets beaten on. Eventually, though, they survive the trial, and Indomitablity makes its demands. Fitz is thoroughly unimpressed, not knowing the lawful basis for its imprisonment or its demand to be released. Torrent, of course, thoroughly rejects being held hostage to someone else's demand for freedom.

Bill T.

Explorer
Adventure II, Act II -- fort, village, Nelle, and Tiljann

Adventure II, Act II

Dramatis Personae

• Torrent
The heroes enter the bridge fort without incident
other than some moaning and groaning about the "Say 'friend' and enter" riddle.
They make quick work of looting the elven soldiers in the lower level -- Erina is quite happy to replace her pastel-rainbow bow with a superior weapon -- and proceed upstairs. They appreciate the battle-map of the nearby town, and take the time to read through the journal sitting by it. Erina, it turns out, knows the history of Innenotdar better than does Ari (the Innenotdar gnome), so she describes some of Anyariel's heroic deeds to the rest of the party. Eventually they make their way up to the top floor of the fort and find the dream seeds. Crystin, ever eager and naive, handles the packet, falls asleep, and starts mumbling strange phrases in a deep voice.

In retrospect, I really enjoyed this scene with Crystin, which reassures me that not letting her die was the right thing to do. After this episode, though, the heroes were a bit reticent to handle the seed packet, but they get over it fairly quickly, because

Erina, being a daughter of drug lords of Gate Pass, immediately recognizes the seeds and describes their ecology, propogation, cultivation, and, oh yes, their hallucinogenic properties and dosing restrictions.

Erina's backstory was unexpectedly prohetic, and she aced her Knowledge(nature) check inspecting the seeds.

Crystin begs to take a seed until Erina offers to give her one, at which point she suddenly because cautious and reticent.

Fitz insists they explore the village some before settling in for the night, despite Crystin's objections. They are a bit surprised when they find the willow tree they saw on the wooden model was made of stone in real life. They break up to explore the area around the tree, so Ari ends up facing the initial brunt of the two ghasts playing dead in the tree. She gets badly injured but avoids becoming paralyzed. Fitz successfully rebukes them, and then he and Torrent get into an argument about the right way to finish them off: Fitz thinks she should channel divine energy to destroy them, but Torrent doesn't want to risk them fleeing and then coming back in a couple of minutes. The disagreement drags on as the heroes have an embarrassingly hard time beating up the cowering ghasts.

As the heroes tend Ari's wounds, Crystin testily points out that this is why she thought they should spend the night in the tower before exploring.

I'm not sure why Fitz was in such a rush, but it made for an exciting encounter.

The next morning, the heroes quickly find their way into the shrine of Anyariel. None of them recognized the octarine ball at the top of the stairs (Erina vows to takes some classes in Planar Studies at the Lyceum), but, since they are being peaceable, proceed down to the shrine proper uncontested. Eventually, though, the Eladrin does speak and explain why she is in the shrine.

The players seemed to be a bit confused about the relevance of the Shahalesti soldier. Ari, for her part, already "knows" the Shahalesti are responsible for the burning of Innenotdar, so doesn't understand what the soldier might add.

I don't think anyone ever connected the red-haired elf with the journal and holy symbol in the fort. No one, not even me, understood why his body had not decomposed.

Having seen the village's main attraction, the heroes decide to proceed upstream. Kazyk approaches them under truce and explains his situation and how he can wriggle out of the terms of his binding without having to kill the heroes. He then proposes they join forces to end the fire.

"Sounds good to us!" says Fitz. Erina agrees. Torrent fumes (if that's the right word for a cleric of the sea goddess), and Ari tries to look inconspicuous, as usual.

I played this scene with Kazyk really badly. Fitz's quick agreement threw me for such a loop than I never got to the details of Kazyk actually wanted.

The battle with the rast is surprisingly harrowing, since it focuses on attacking Koba on the opposite side of the river from the rest of the heroes.

When they reach Nelle at the Mouth of the White River, she explains her promise to Bhurisrava, her need for some heroes to save the forest, and the dangers of teleporting.

At this point, the heroes decide to try one of the dream seeds. As soon as Are falls asleep, Crystin casts sense link on her and describes what Ari sees: In her dream, Ari makes her way back towards Gate Pass and sees some Ragesian soldiers, including Inquisitor Boreus, preparing to leave. Boreus happens to be carrying a sack. She gets an opportunity to peek inside the sack and sees Haddin's head, his neck having been severed with some sort of serrated blade. Crystin's reaction to seeing this is, er, complicated.

Sense link was a good way for me to run the dream seed vision without excluding the rest of the players.

I figured that Kazyk must have stopped by Haddin's place on his way to the fire forest. He saw what had happened to Boreus and was able to free him from Haddin's control, for a very large fee.

This vision was an excuse for Crystin to know that she was no longer under her father's control.

Ari proceeds to Gate Pass and gets to see her family having a discussion [saying unkind things about Ari, but Crystin doesn't know that], the numerous pieces of Ragesian armor mounted as trophies on the front of the Westgate residence, and the battle beyond the west gate.

Ari's backstory had her in her family's bad graces because she'd botched a mission, so the encounter with her family was a reflection of that.

Fitz had put Flaganus's armor on the front of his house to proudly demonstrate that his family was successfully fighting the Ragesians, so I figured the other citizens of Gate Pass would join in.

Ari slept through the battle with the dream elemental
while her player ran Torrent for the battle
which ultimately ends up with the elemental teleporting away and burning itself to death in the process.

The heroes catch sight of Crystin and Kazyk talking at the side of the lake while the rest of them said their good-byes to Nelle. They are a bit suspicious, but don't follow up.

Crystin's thinking was that, since she was not from Gate Pass, she was exempt from his instructions and that he might help her get away, maybe by helping her get to the top of the falls. Kazyk was amused, but his obvious question -- "What's in it for me?" -- left Crystin at a dead end.

Fitz then takes a dream seed and, thanks to a good roll on his Lucid Dreaming check, dreams his way down to Seela Lake and the surrounding environs.

That was a clever use of the dream seeds on Fitz's part, and provided them with some good information on the lay of the land.

The heroes make their way back to the bridge and decide to poke around the village a bit more. In their pokings, they run across a grey ooze in one of the old houses, defeat it, and claim an empty bottle as treasure.

Erina needed an empty bottle as a focus for one of her spells, and she turned it into a small side quest. I really hope I gave her extra xp for that.

When Erina hears Tiljann singing the next morning, she pulls out her recorder and starts to accompany Tiljann's song.

Yes, the party's druid/evoker has ranks in Perform(recorder) -- easily, actually, thanks to the level of the aristocrat class all the PCs started with.

Tiljann starts explaining why she is here and soon thereafter gets attacked by the seela who had hidden out on the bridge. The heroes manage to drive the attackers off without killing any of them. If they held one for questioning, their notes made no mention of what they might have learned.

Last edited:

Mrpereira

Explorer
I really like it when it is possible to incorporate the player's back stories into the campaign, especially when it doesn't take too much effort. It adds to the story and to the player's enjoyment of the story. I hope you can keep it up making all of them feel involved. In my campaign I have two of them perfectly matched, but the last one is still eluding me.

The scene in the shrine also put some gray hairs in my players head. It took them quite a while and a lot of heavy hints from my part as to what it possibly could mean. I think that the scene is nicely though out, but the players do not have the prerequisite backstory to put the pieces together, so one has to push the hints a bit. It also took them some time to figure out who the priest was.

Nice touch with Haddin, even if it means you wont have the pleasure of tormenting your players with him :).

I like how our campaigns are currently around the same spot, and how things are rather different. Just you killing off Haddin changes the flavor of things. Interesting read all over, thanks for sharing.

Bill T.

Explorer
Adventure II, Act III -- saving Innenotdar

Something I forgot to mention in my previous post: On the trip downriver back to the bridge fort, Torrent shouts out, "Indomitability, I will free you!" She then briefly screams in pain as she feels fire coursing through her veins.

"You're really going to free it?" inquires Ari.

"No." replies Torrent.

"But I thought you were Good!" says Ari. Torrent scoffs. "Wow, this business of being good is more complicated than I thought!"

I had given an "alignment quiz" a bit earlier, and Torrent came out as insufficiently chaotic. Lying to her jailer seemed like a good way to burnish her chaotic good credentials, since Torrent feels no qualms about lying to her captor. It also let me give the players some idea of what might happen if they accepted Indomitability's offer.

Adventure II, Act III

Dramatis Personae

• Tiljann
  • Torrent

At this point, given the composition of the party, we decided to start calling the campaign "Fitz's Harem." :)

Tiljann explains everything she knows as they all make their way to the seela village and in return pesters the party at great length about the world outside the fire forest. On the way down, Crystin excitedly tells Tiljann about Torrent's offering to help free Indomitability, calls out "I will set you free" herself, and suddenly screams in pain as she, too, gets his boon.

I was trying to bait one of the players into telling the story and thereby "accepting", but no one fell for it.

Most of the heroes go talk to Papuvin. They don't ask the right questions and thus don't get much in the way of useful answers. Ari, oddly enough, goes off on her own to talk to Vuhl, who happily invites her in and pleasantly explains his perspective.

The fact that Vuhl was happy to talk to Ari the Terminally Uncharismatic should have been a hint that Vuhl was not to be trusted, but no one caught on.

In any event, the heroes get enough information to decide that the best course of action is to take some bait to Guinevere. They manage to talk her into lending them the lock of Anyariel's hair. After spending an inordinate amount of time admiring Guinevere's shrine to the lock, Erina finally picks it up and sees herself turn ugly in the mirror. Everyone else is suitably horrified for her to realize it's not some sort of illusion.

The players all put a great deal of effort in pretending to be impressed by the shrine Guinevere had made. I eventually got impatient enough to ask them if someone was going to take the dang lock already. I doubt they would have thought to search the shrine for traps no matter how patient I might have been, though.

Then, leaving Guinevere's lair, a giant eel attacks the party and chokes on Fitz.

As I recall, there was some moaning and groaning about the lack of violence involved in acquiring the lock, so I threw in an eel. "Be careful what you wish for!"

The heroes go visit Timbre and easily lure her out. She gives the full explanation, releases the sword from its bond, and tells the party to have at it and save the forest. After a brief discussion, everyone realizes that the person most suited to pulling the sword from Indomitability is Torrent, of all people.

In reading the adventure I had realized that Torrent, with her domain choices, her spells, and her skill at swimming, was Meant to be the one to free Indomitability. That was somewhat unfortunate, because she becomes the one to perform the great heroic deed to save the seela and ends up being the one bound to the Living Blade.

Fitz, and Torrent take a boat out to where Indomitability lies and...negotiate! Fitz says he will set Indomitability free, but only if he promises not to exact any sort of revenge. Indomitability agrees.

I only just now realized that Fitz should have gotten the boon at this point. In any case, Fitz was very smart to negotiate with Indomitability before freeing him.

Torrent and Fitz dive into the lake and they pull the sword free -- well, free of the lakebed. Indomitability drags the two of them up to the surface and demands to be set free.

Alas, no one thought to negotiate with Papuvin. Erina the Cursed desperately tries to convince him to get the seela to stop singing. Papuvin is unconvinced. Ari the Terminally Uncharismatic aids with her two cents. Papuvin remains skeptical. Crystin prettily pleads with Papuvin to stop the singing. Papuvin is starting to warm to the idea. Tiljann begs him to stop the singing, having come to trust he heroes. Papuvin is nearly convinced. Koba wants Papuvin to give a hoot, so he makes a last-ditch diplomacy check and Papuvin finally relents and stops the song, and Indomitability goes free.

OK, I may have made the bit about Koba up -- maybe. We were all desperately grasping for every little bit of Aid Another to get Erina's check high enough to convince Papuvin. In retrospect, I think it would have been more fun to have Indomitability run wild through the village.

Kazyk, having been monitoring the party all this time, smiles and disappears in a chrysanthemum of flame for the last time.

...and I get one more opportunity to use the word "chrysanthemum"! Kazyk was robbed of his last opportunity to attack, but didn't really need to, did he?

There is happy singing, the heroes all get Indomitability's boon, and the whole joyous nine yards. Vuhl flies away, and Crystin makes her last cryptic premonition about Vuhl and his grandmother. In a desperate attempt to restore Erina's not-so-bad looks, the heroes return the lock of Anyariel's hair to the shrine, but to no avail.

Bill T.

Explorer
Adventure II, Epilog

Adventure II, Epilog

Dramatis Personae

• Tiljann
  • Torrent
The morning after the heroes free Indomitability, Koba flies out to see if the their escape route is clear. She returns somewhat alarmed. After a rather frustrating game of playing "guess what the familiar is thinking", the harem sets off to investigate while Fitz identifies the Living Blade, the mask they got from Boreus, and the helmet they got from the Black Horse Murderers.

Meanwhile, Koba leads most of the heroes on the road to the south. They hear what Koba was concerned about before they see her: A fire giant, despondently walking along the road and knocking down the occassionaly burned-out snag. The heroes guardedly talk to her while Koba flies back to get Fitz (who is too busy identifying to be bothered with Koba's interruption), but they eventually let drop that they were the ones who had put out the fire. The giant angrily shouts, "It was you" and attacks the heroes. The heroes flee back to the river fort, Fitz gets clobbered, mysteriously gets up anyhow, and Ari plays dodge-the-giant until everyone is safely back in the tower. The giant's attack on the door finally triggers the spiritual weapon trap on the door. The fire giant moves away to lay siege with boulders, but the heroes eventually regroup and finish the giant off.

Obviously, the giant was big (har har) addition on my part. I was up to a few things here: The party needed more xp and more loot, which the giant's backpack conveniently contained plenty of. I also got the opportunity to demonstrate the boon to the heroes. Fitz was down to something like -20 hit points, so he was quite mystified about his survival. Unfortunately, I forgot the part about it only working once a day -- Fitz took another lethal dose of damage that should have finished him off. Fitz's player and I are the only ones in the group who don't necessarily get upset by having our PCs die, so Fitz's death would have helped both set the tone (yes, you can die in this campaign) and given more information about the boon. That said, Fitz evenutally cast
Identify on himself to get the full details of the boon.

The heroes return to the Shrine of Anyariel in attempt to extract any clues. They investigate the case again and discover a single strand of hair, leading them to conclude that this is where Guinevere got the lock of Anyariel's hair. They also ask the guard ghaele to remove Erina's curse of ugliness. She does so -- and removes Indomitability's boon in the process!

I ultimately reversed myself on this. Taking away the boon because she'd been a victim of the cursed trap seemed unnecessarily harsh.

After identifying the blade, our heroes decide that Papuvin is the appropriate holder thereof, since they are headed into a war zone. Papuvin, of course, wants nothing of it, nor do any of the other seela. Ari is eager to get the blade from Torrent as soon as possible.

Give them a magical artifact as treasure, so what do they do? The right thing, of course -- how typical! Thankfully, Papuvin's an Unarmed Striker, and none of the other seela are much in the way of fighters, so they all can reasonably refuse the living blade.

Finally, the heroes head out of the fire forest. They soon run into a Dassen calvalry detachment headed north along the road, trying to hunt down the fire giant who had been raiding villages on the south side of the fire forest and then ducking back into the forest to escape retaliation. They are a bit disappointed to learn that the heroes had beaten them to it. The Dassens travel with the heroes out of the fire forest as Fitz quizzes the horsemen about anything and everything before heading off on their own to Seaquen.

The final part of my agenda with the fire giant: I wanted to demonstrate that putting out the fire had consequences beyond the seela and the forest, and that the consequences had consequences. Fitz was more interested in them as sources of information about the outside world, and would have followed them to the ends of the earth to see what they were up to. I eventually had to have them gallop off to get home by sundown, since he didn't catch on that The Adventure Didn't Go That Way.

One final amusing realization -- Koba, the tiny-sized owl, also received Indomitabilty's boon, so she, too, is now immune to strong winds. Wanna see an owl fly through a hurricane? Just you wait!

Mrpereira

Explorer
I like the consequences part, it is part of what I really like about the adventure. I had the issue come up a few times in chapter 4, where Lady Timor is not that pleased with their efforts in the forest. To do good, is not always without consequences in this adventure.

Typical players to actually consider giving a way an artifact :)

to be honest, I would have let the player lose the boon, it might have been harsh, but my experience in the campaign is that the first adventures won't really challenge them a lot unless you up the challenge.

Concerning player deaths, as such I don't mind them, but ultimately it is a game an supposed to be fun, so I am often torn about it. In my campaign I had one death so far. It was in chapter 6 with no real way of getting a new PC into the game. I had to let them ressurrect him, otherwise he wouldhave been out for quite a while, playing npcs or such. That would not have been too fun, to be honest. On the other hand, it is not fun if there is danger to the players, so I find it is a tough balance. It is always interesting to see what others do in those instances. In your case I would have done the same to show off the boon, it makes sense and is a naturally integrated part of the story.

Bill T.

Explorer
Adventure III, Episode I

Dramatis Personae

• Tiljann
  • Torrent

The trek across Dassen turns out more exciting than anyone expected: In Nassamport they learn that no one is willing to sail to Seaquen. Then, in Vidor, Fitz, being from a merchant family of Gate Pass, decides they should try their hand at horse trading, quite literally: They round up the horses hanging loose near Vidor and ride back north, selling the horses to refugees as they go.

I didn't see any problem with this. The heroes needed more cash anyhow, and it's not like they were in a big rush. It gave me a bit of an excuse to compress the timeline in Seaquen.

Once they return to Vidor after their business activities, they purchase some rowboats and something resembling a map, but Erina dismisses the protective crocodile teeth as fakes. They also hire on a couple of half-orc fighters and a shugenja named Odo, all of whom were stuck in Vidor for lack of funds to buy a boat. They also hear a rumor about Katrina going into the swamp.

I had forgotten about the redshirts until just now. They parted ways with the party when they got to Seaquen with plans to get back together, but no one followed up. Having a party of nine with three players was getting ridiculous, anyhow.

The H'andreas attack in the night; the wizard uses her darkness ability on a pebble, which makes it look like the lantern on the torchstaff is floating in mid-air. Then she casts cloudkill on the island the party set up camp on as H'andrea the druid sneaks up from the back side and kills Odo with a single blow. The fight has begun!

Obscuring mist wouldn't move with the boat, so I opted for darkness instead. Having the tip of the torchstaff glowing above the darkness was a spooky effect that got the players' attention.

That poor shugenja -- thrown together while people were getting dessert, only to get killed off before he can even act.

Erina's gets stuck on the far side of the island from the witches' boat to deal with H'andrea and Crikey -- H'andrea dies quickly, but Crikey tries to drag his mistress away, distracting Erina from the main battle. The rest of the fight is very chaotic, with the witches throwing various clouds and the heroes getting separated into various boats. Torrent enlarges Fitz, who then feels free to wade up to the boat the other two witches are in. Eventually, Ari traipses from gunwhale to gunwhale of of her allied boats to get close enough to shadow jaunts her way into the front of the witches' boat, thereby experiencing the dangers of teleportation first-hand. She then uses her silence ability to keep the witches from casting spells. The wizard gives up, but H'andrea doesn't understand that Ari is trying to knock H'andrea unconscious and therefore attacks Ari to defend her sister. Fitz then decides to flip over the boat, dumping everyone in the water. H'andrea eventually flees to a nearby island that she conceals in magical fog, only to be rendered unconcious via shield other when Ari finally manages to knock H'andrea out.

I should have asked Ari for jump checks rather than balance checks as she made her way towards the boat the two witches were in. As it went, having her skitter from boat to boat was really cool.

The fight in the witches' boat was extremely confusing for -- the torchstaff and the darkness counteracted each other, so there was this complicated interplay of areas in magical darkness, areas in natural darkness, and areas in magical light that had to be explained both to the gnome (and tieflings, of course) with darkvision and the remaining normal-sighted characters. Worse, H'andrea dropped the stone she had cast
darkness on when Ari boarded their boat, so no one was able to do anything about the darkness until Fitz finally up-ended the boat.

The heroes inspect and divide up the witches' possessions. After binding the two surviving witches, the heroes decide to revive the witch to question her. The first thing she says is, "I can lead you to our captive...". Fitz agrees to let H'andrea go so long as she lets the heroes leave after she leads them to their captive, which she agrees to do.

The next morning
and the next game session
the heroes follow H'andrea's lead to their soggy island home. Of course, the island's skeletons attack. Fitz blames H'andrea for the skeletons' attack, but since their creator, H'andrea, is still unconcious, there is nothing she can do. Ari knocks H'andrea unconcious while Torrent destroys the bulk of the skeletons. They search the huts on the island and find Katrina and another Tidereaver's Tears. Katrina explains what the witches had been doing and how she avoided the kettle. This gives someone the clever idea to use one of the dream seeds, since the kettle obviously has strong psychic associations. Surprisingly, and contrary to family policy, Erina volunteers.

Yikes! Those dream seeds are dangerous! Thankfully, the players decided to pause for a bit (dessert time, again!) to let me gather my thoughts. I quickly realized that I was prepared for the heroes to hear news of Gate Pass when they got into Seaquen, so I grabbed those notes and let them find out about it directly.

As Erina falls asleep, she finds herself soaring on Koba's wings over the cold snowy mountains of home. She is accompanied not by the sounds of the wind but the screams of those fed to the witches' pot. The screams die down but not away, and she arrives in the courtyard of The Castle. There, a line of mourners wait to pay their last respects. As Erina approaches the casket, she sees it is Gabal lying in repose, a look of smug satisfaction upon his still face. She recalls some of Gabal's advice, "Don't trust magic users who rely on charisma rather than studying spell books." As she resumes flight east from Gate Pass, she sees one of her cousins receiving a sledge of supplies from an elf. Food seems to be getting into the city despite the Ragesian army camped outside its walls.

It was Erina's player who remembered the quote about charismatic casters. She's decided that Erina really doesn't like Katrina. That's going to be fun role-playing, if potentially unfortunate in the long run.

Hurray, once again, for a player with a smuggler in her backstory.

Everyone decides that the surviving witches are a threat to anyone who passes through the swamp. The heroes give Katrina the honor of blowing them to bits. Nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning!

I miss Katrina. A scheming, charming, short-tempered, arrogant woman who nevertheless isn't a bad person, and who really enjoys flaunting her fireballs. When I originally ran the campaign that inspired WotBS, Rantle was a PC, and he was constantly having to keep the rest of the party from finding out what his sister was up to, while helping her actually forward her plans.

Remove ads