D&D 5E WTF Wizards of the Coast? *RANT* (video link)

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I didn't watch the video, because THIS.

The D&D department is tiny, tiny, tiny, so expecting any digital tools beyond 3rd party licensing is serious wishlisting. Now that the SRD is out, more indie tools are popping up.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It *is* a shame that there is no app for tablets...

Is there support for windows though? You could always use a surface/surface pro

edit:
I didn't watch the video, because THIS.

The D&D department is tiny, tiny, tiny, so expecting any digital tools beyond 3rd party licensing is serious wishlisting. Now that the SRD is out, more indie tools are popping up.

Is this app for tablets or PC?

Curmudjinn

Explorer
From the Fantasy Grounds main page.
"Even for those wanting to run their games in person, FG helps keep all your information handy and helps keep the game moving along at a fast pace."

It is only for Windows, Mac OSX and Linux. I know there are ways to install GNU/Linux apps on Android, if not running a Surface or an OSX-compatible iPad. Both Linux and OSX run it through WINE.

So there is an in-depth, well-made resource, but it isn't made for tablets without some work. With handhelds being the future, I could see something for it in the not-so-distant future.

It's annoying, but it's not like there's a wealth of apps for other game systems.

It's odd since WotC tried to go down the digital route four or five times and they've all been huge failures. Expensive and problematic. They tried to get digital tools out for 5e, but partnered with a poor choice of company. It's hard to blame WotC because they people they licenced the tools to couldn't cut it.

S

Sunseeker

Don't really want to watch someone rant about 5E, reading is satisfactory.

There is some digital presence, but as a game that emphasizes a physical product and IRL gameplay, I suspect that's on purpose.

DM Howard

Explorer
Weird, isn't it?
What?! When did that happen?!

But seriously there are not a huge amount of mobile apps for RPGs anyway. Yeah there are a bunch of little crappy character sheets apps, and Syrinscape (which is AWESOME) but not a whole lot else. WotC is not a tech company, they will not be the innovator in the super niche market that is RPG mobile apps, no matter how much I'd like them to hire a tech department tomorrow.

Heck, they are JUST NOW realizing that they need a streamlined, and integrated, digital MtG experience with the quality of Duels of the Planeswalkers and the breadth of Magic the Gathering Online. Pretty sure everyone has been shouting that for almost a decade now. So, as you can see, WotC isn't very maneuverable in the digital/tech arena; ESPECIALLY when it comes to their most analog brand. D&D.

Last edited:

Remove ads