D&D 5E What single new class would you like to see?

Tony Vargas

Legend
How many of those absolutely must be full classes, as opposed to subclasses, though?
I'd think most of the 'missing' martial concepts and functions could be covered by a couple of new full classes (W*****d and one or two others), each with multiple sub-classes. Perhaps an outlier or two by new non-magic-using sub-classes of currently all-magic-using classes - the Ranger and Monk being the most obvious candidates. But the Fighter and Rogue sort of class-functions/party-contributions have been pretty thoroughly covered.

Last edited:

Going back to the original topic, there's obviously the Warlord which you've done as the Noble. The other one I'd like to see (and that I've done a version of myself as a Warlock pact) is the Elementalist. The blast mage that's about as straightforward as the fighter. "I burn it" rather than "I hit it."

Edit: Elementalist Warlock now in the homebrew section.

Last edited:

pkt77242

Explorer
I would like to see a gish that is a half caster. Maybe built off the Paladin chassis. The ability to empower his weapon with magic (like a paladin's smite) and 2 attacks. I think that there is room for a half caster with access to wizard spells.

MadPuppy

Explorer
Still laughing about the Awesome Katana....
But back to topic:

I'm looking for a Tinkerer/Artificer/Inventor class
Perhaps expand on the Gnome tinker abilities. Building useful items with a limited lifespan, always making new stuff from the refuse of the old.
I think there was a comment about "MacGuyver" which also fits.
I have visions in my head of J.F. Sebastian in Blade runner with his "friends" that he made. Data in "goonies" with all his utility belt, and inventions.
Or a Tinker with clockwork toys and devices.

• Your familiar is a clockwork bird.
  • Your crossbow is a repeating crossbow allowing 4 attacks a round.
  • Your flame strike is really a flamethrower, etc....
  • Your armor is fitted with gizmos, and whirley-gigs
  • your Horse is mechanical and fueled by steam

Perhaps a mechanic that is based on "creation points",similar to Ki or spell points

Yeah this sounds great to me

Last edited:

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Super Hero! Base class has a certain amount of super-strength and super-toughness, elemental energy blasts, and eventual flight. Subclasses:

1. Extra super stronger: a melee/tank sort.
2. Extra elemental blasting: damaging aura; area attacks; etc.
3. Speedster: Starts developing super-speed powers that get better with level (time stop-like abilities kick in around 15th level or so). Ultimate melee skirmisher.
4. Morpher: Can transform body into useful shapes, disguises, materials. Melee skirmisher/controller.
5. Mentalist: Some telepathy and stuff. Control abilities.

I'd like this class to get ability scores above 20 at a relatively early level, although such a thing can be beastly to balance properly. For example, suppose at 5th level, instead of Extra Attack, you got +4 Strength? Would that be better or worse? Is it abusable somehow? So this would be a hard class to design, but it would really be doing something original and interesting in 5e.

Remove ads