D&D 5E What single new class would you like to see?

illustration

Here's the thing. And this is a secret so don't let anybody else know.

Most people think the thri-kreen's greatest advantage is his multiple arms and insect sixth-sense.

Not true.

Its his egg-shaped thorax. Even evolution knows that everyone digs breakfast.

Mating advantage and combat advantage as chicks can't help but swoon and enemies are bedazzled by insatiable hunger.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I think it Gary Gygax himself who once said, "There is a fine line between being so awesome that your fantabulous Katana class and assorted subclasses with their amazing artwork needs to be the new optional class, and being relegated to a sub-forum."

Or maybe it was Arneson. I always got those two confused. It was definitely somebody important, probably in a youtube comment.
I'm pretty sure it was Gygax in the foreword to 1e's Katana Survival Guide (Protip: You can't).

TwoSix

Here's the thing. And this is a secret so don't let anybody else know.

Most people think the thri-kreen's greatest advantage is his multiple arms and insect sixth-sense.

Not true.

Its his egg-shaped thorax. Even evolution knows that everyone digs breakfast.

Mating advantage and combat advantage as chicks can't help but swoon and enemies are bedazzled by insatiable hunger.
A true Katana is never distracted, no matter how much drool deposits on my desk as I watch the smooth pearly opalescence of the Thri-Kreen chest show itself.

I must press on! There are always katanas to sharpen! (Just kidding. Everyone knows you never need to sharpen a Katana.)

TwoSix

Then again, there was the attempted revision to the Katana in Unearthed Arcana, where they introduced the "Awesomeness" stat, made an 18 Awesomeness the minimum prerequisite for the Katana, gave it d30 hp/level, 1 attack / level, and the ability to cast magic user spells as a magic user of the same level*, but noted the drawback was, "Cannot adventure with other characters, as their awesomeness would overwhelm all others."
I may have a newer version of Unearthed Arcana (my version is actually a youtube video), but isn't Katana the class where they introduced percentile Awesomeness? My brother's cousin's dad's sister's kid once had a gnome Katana that rolled a 18(00) for Awesomeness.

Zardnaar

Legend
I think you guys are confused with BECMI. IN 1E Gyax wrote (page 327 DMG)

"Though shalt not Katana for though art a munchkin". I do not really understand the rest of the quote as I failed my comprehend High Gygaxian roll.

TwoSix

You must have been playing 2e, or some other post-Gygax system.

The Gygax was quite clear that the original Katana class could only be played by a human. In his words- "D&D is a game of the humans, by the humans, for the humans, and that occasionally involves eating other humans. With that in mind, lesserdemi-humans are capped at a maximum score of 12 in awesomeness. Roll 2d6 if you're a non-human.

Now, I know what you're thinking. What if I roll a 2? Well, then you're a gnome."
Oh, you're right, I think I read about that older version in the youtube comments. That's the one where scumdemi-human katanas had a level limit of -5, right?

In my game, we were using the Skills and Powers version of the Katana, which had a list of abilities from every class and "Screw it, just pick whatever" character points.

Remove ads