• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Official My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic RPG "Tails of Equestria" Announced!

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
A few weeks ago, it was quietly announced that an official RPG based on My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic would be released in 2016, titled Tails of Equestria (and no, that's not a typo). This nicely answers the question of Where is My Little RPG? Tails of Equestria will be produced by European game company River Horse (of course).

There's an interview with some River Horse staff in a video at that first link posted above, with the section relevant to Tails of Equestria starting just before the 42:00-mark, and lasting about a half-hour. Several details about the game are given, which I've summarized below:

• The RPG will be released as a hardcover book, not a boxed set.
  • It will not make use of miniatures (that is, this won't require miniatures to play).
  • The character sheets will be for earth ponies, unicorns, pegasi, and "draw your own." Each character sheet will have a space to draw a picture of your character (the three pony races will have a basic image to embellish, and the "draw your own" will have a blank space), as well as a second space to draw your cutie mark.
  • Characters will have the option of starting as a pony that's already obtained their cutie mark, or as a blank flank and discovering their cutie mark during the course of the game.
  • "Nobody can start as an alicorn."
  • Characters will have three stats: Body, Mind, and Charm.
  • As part of character creation, you have a d4 and a d6; you pick which of these are associated with your Body and Mind stats (they didn't say what determines Charm).
  • There's no "class" for characters; what you are is determined by your race and your special talent.
  • Your level of talent is determined by the size of the die you roll. An ordinary unicorn has a d6 for Telekinesis; Twilight Sparkle is described as having "a d12 or d20."
  • Similarly, pegasi automatically receive a d6 in the Fly talent, while earth ponies automatically have their Body die increased to the next die size.
  • Each character chooses a personal talent, as well as a personal flaw.
  • Your Body stat will determine your Stamina points, which are the game's version of hit points.
  • Making an action that's opposed by another creature (e.g. hoof-wrestling) is determined by opposed rolls. Trying to accomplish a task against a situation (e.g. kick down a door) is made by rolling to equal or exceed a target number.
  • The game uses an "exploding dice" mechanic. More specifically, if you roll the maximum value on a die, you may then roll the next larger die, and keep whichever result is better. This can happen cumulatively, so if you roll a 4 on a d4, and then roll a 6 on a d6, you can go ahead and roll a d8, keeping that value if it's higher than your 6 from the d6.
  • The game will include stats for personalities from the show, including the Mane Six, Princess Celestia, and Princess Luna.
  • The game will include an introductory adventure; adventuring will include being sent on missions by the Cutie Map.
  • Supplementary materials will include things such as character sheets and a GM screen.
  • The designers mention that they're willing to receive proposals from RPG writers who want to submit other supplements for publication.

Hopefully more details, and a release date, will be forthcoming soon!

JeffB

Legend
At first I thought this may be a April Fools joke.

I will be picking this up for my little girl to play. Shes almost 5, has shown interest in playing a game like " you and (her brother) play", and frankly I enjoy watching the show.

With my son and his peers (16-17 yo now ) more interested in girls, driving, and sports, I have to get a weekly game in somehow ;)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
At first I thought this may be a April Fools joke.

I will be picking this up for my little girl to play. Shes almost 5, has shown interest in playing a game like " you and (her brother) play", and frankly I enjoy watching the show.

With my son and his peers (16-17 yo now ) more interested in girls, driving, and sports, I have to get a weekly game in somehow ;)

It's not a joke that I can tell. After all, cartoon ponies are very serious business!

But yeah, I think this will be a great way to introduce a new generation to role-playing games.

I did some checking, and Tails of Equestria also has a Facebook page.

Remove ads