D&D 5E XP for gold 5th Edition campaign

Who said anything about "all the time"?

[...]

That gold ceases to be a motivator and have value is THE FRIKKING PROBLEM that this variant sets out to solve :)

And somehow you translate that into general criticism...?

Can anyone explain to me why anyone takes the time and effort to write essentially a post on "six reasons NOT to do what the thread is about"... :hmm:

This thread is for those interested in xp for gold. It is not a thread for those that need to be cautioned against using xp for gold.

I see it being fun for a specific campaign, or even for one or two adventures in a campaign, and... that's it. Its suitability on other campaigns is of no concern because it is fun for this specific campaign you're running! :)

Putting this first because it's the important part. Your only limitation for using this rule is: "This assumes a sandbox type of campaign, where you explore the map and involve yourself wherever you like. And walk away from anything you don't like to do."

You never state that that this was a rule for a specific type of campaign where all the PCs are primarily motivated by accumulation of wealth. That is the only limitation you place on the rule, and that description covers a much broader range of campaigns than just one that involves adventuring for gold. I've played sandbox campaigns with Paladins that are focused on fighting evil and righting wrongs, Wizards who are seeking ancient spells and knowledge, ascetic Monks, Druids who are fighting for the survival of the wilderness or alignment balance, Clerics seeking to spread their faith, Barbarians only seeking to test their mettle, Dwarves looking for a lost family relic, Elves seeking ancient oracles, etc. In other words, a bunch of goals that money won't really help with. In my experience, a campaign where every character is motivated by gold is rare, and since you never state that as a restriction on the campaign and never make any attempt to correct the problems it causes, these are all fair criticisms. And, no, it's not obvious that you'd use this rule in a limited subset of campaigns where every PC is focused on wealth accumulation because gold = XP was the original rule used with D&D.

If that's not what you meant that's fine, but don't get mad at me for reading the rules exactly as you presented them. I'm not a mind reader.

[Regarding using XP or gold for magic items.] By itself, the XP-for-gold concept does not do anything of the sort.

I agree. However, you presented both in the same post, so I'm criticizing them in the same post. Indeed, gold/XP for magic items was a significant element of the rules you presented. You introduced buying magic items at the same time as using gold for XP. That was your choice for your rules, so your gold = XP rules are going to get criticized for using gold or XP for magic items. That's something which a lot of people disliked about 3.x and 4e, and a lot of people are not going to be interested in it. You opened the door to the criticism.

You might want to have a magic item economy (where magic items are offered up for sale) to increase, not decrease, hard choices. But you don't have to - you can still run the game so any items must be found, not bought.

But.

If you can buy a +1 Longsword for the same amount of gold that would give you a whole level's worth of XP, what do you choose? This can ideally be incredibly difficult decisions :)

Ideally the game would then differentiate between +1, +2 and +3 items just like in the good old days, so that even after you finally splurge on a +1 Longsword, you will eventually have to redo the entire decision point when at mid-level monsters start becoming resistant to any weapon not +2 or more... so you again need to choose between xp and magic items. :)

You say, "This creates hard choices." How? It didn't seem hard with 3e's item crafting, 3e's magic shops, and 4e's player selected loot (which had the problems of both 3e systems). Players do a cost/benefit analysis prior to the game, planned their characters and items to level 20/30, and bought/crafted/selected the most advantageous items they can. Zim, zam, zoom, you get a-la-carte abilities tailor suited to your specific character build. Then you take all the spare loot you get and feed it into more items you can craft or buy like you're playing Hearthstone and grinding cards to dust. What is hard or interesting about this choice?

I'm saying that your ideal is probably not achievable without a lot of nuance you didn't include in your post and a lot of cooperation from the players which not every DM is going to have from every player. No matter how you structure the system, you'll end up with things that are not hard choices because the game was never intended to contrast character abilities with magic item abilities. 5e was never designed with that in mind. We did get to choose between magic items and XP in 3.5, and -- at least in my experience -- magic items were always the way to go until you got pretty deep. The only reason not to chose magic items was a) limited time, and b) limited gold. Now, sure, you can jack up the prices of magic items. Then they're essentially never worthwhile beyond the bare minimum, which is how 1e/2e and 5e's Downtime UA try to handle it. Now it's not worth the time or gold unless you need a specific item. But that's a wholly different ball of wax than using gold/XP as straight currency for players to select all their magic items which is exactly the system you present.

By the way, +1 is nowhere close to four experience levels. Sorry but that's so outrageously wrong I don't even know where to begin. Unless you're fine playing at level 1 (with your +1 weapon) while the rest of us is level 5....

It's not worth four levels, but it's certainly worth quite a bit. If you're a level 6 Fighter, you might be already at 20 Str. You're not getting another +1 attack until level 9, and your damage bonus is capped. Why wouldn't you invest your XP into a magic weapon? It effects the 2-4 dice you plan to roll every round of every combat. It'll pay off sooner, you'll be much more powerful against a much broader range of enemies, and your next level is still only 9,000 gp off. It's win-win. Heck, you get to Fighter 13 or so, and you're basically capped except for the HP. You get one more +1 to hit, another attack way off at level 20, and that's really it except for magic.

You seem to think characters need to keep the money in order to advance, or what do you mean by "accumulation of wealth".

"The campaign is focused on accumulation of wealth" means that in normal D&D a party of 5 adventurers needs to accumulate 70,000 XP to go from level 8 to level 9. They can do that by killing monsters, aiding peasants, etc. and they don't need any material rewards for doing it. In gold = XP, a party of 5 adventurers must accumulate and spend 70,000 gp to go from level 8 to level 9. It means that instead of doing things that gain XP, the players do things that gain gp.

The Monte Christo problem is not because of xp for gold. You're placing blame where it doesn't belong. Instead that problem comes built into the core of the D&D game - it is right there in the DMG treasure tables.

If anything, xp for gold provides an explanation why you should go out adventuring when you already have a mountain of gold at home.

The DMG doesn't require adventuring parties to spend all their gold immediately in order to level up. Neither does it give out gold in the volume necessary to equate gold and XP as well as pay for magic items.

If you want less absurd amounts of gold, just change the ratio of gold to xp. Or require, say, half as much xp to level as in the PHB table.

That's why I listed it as a criticism. It's not that it's difficult to fix, but it's something any DM using it has to be aware of. The problem is that you didn't address it.

That you need somewhere to unload is correct. This variant is not meant for story-driven campaigns. Use it in a sandbox or hexcrawl campaign. There will always be a "home town", trust me.

No, with absurd levels of gold you start to buy absurd things. Expensive spell components, ships, fortresses, favors, hirelings, etc. There is always a way to spend gold, but expecting that there's a place you can spend the 100,000 gp that a mid level party needs to spend on carousing in any reasonable amount of time is absurd. The annual output of a large town is going to be like 1,000,000 gp. They don't have 100,000 gp of stuff on the market at any one time! The game turns into Brewster's Millions.

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
I think the best solution is for you to take it to another thread. I will not help you ruin this one, and I will certainly not argue with you whether your points are justified.

They're not. This thread is about how to make xp for gold work.

If you think my proposed implementation falls short, but you still share my ambition to make it actually work, you have failed to convey any sense of constructiveness.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

Brandegoris

First Post
Why do this? I don't understand why you would give no XP for XP worthy events and just give XP for Gold? I just can't see the point. Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't get it

CapnZapp

Legend
Why do this? I don't understand why you would give no XP for XP worthy events and just give XP for Gold? I just can't see the point. Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't get it
That's actually a fair question! :)

One huge reason must be nostalgia, since this is a rule from D&D's earliest days. In the following, remember we're looking this from an old school dungeoneering perspective. Ideas such as "milestone XP" simply doesn't exist.

One big reason is to encourage a mercenary playstyle. Like Conan in many stories, or Han Solo (initially). To get away from the saccarine chivalric stories where you good.

It might be crude, but it is an attempt to move away from "kill xp". If you get xp from loot, you don't NEED to kill the monsters. This was perhaps the first attempt at a richer experience, since you now aren't penalized for circumventing/ignoring/outsmarting the monsters. In fact, with xp for gold you are ENCOURAGED to circumvent/ignore/outsmart the monsters.

Already in Moldvay D&D the rules said "most of the experience the characters will get will be from treasure (usually 3/4 or more)". Even if that didn't exactly check out, it tells us what the ambition was.

I should also say that "xp for gold" can mean significantly different things for different people.
- do you get gold, xp, or both (in various ratios)
- do you get xp immediately when you loot the gold or later (and how)
- is "gaming" the system (robbing villagers or barkeeps or even each other, earning money by gambling or trading, hiring henchmen to take the risks for you and so on ad nauseam) frowned upon or accepted? That is, the easiest way to prevent it is for the GM to say "you earn xp for gold only when I say you do". Others dislike the subjectivety but instead end up encouraging playes to ruleslawyer various loopholes, so they end up focusing more on the rule than the adventure.

In MY case, I'm working from 5e and the year 2016 when I realized the edition is a step backwards from 3e in how it does or does not answer the huge question: "but what is gold for?"

So in my case it's an attempt to provide an answer as an alternative to downtime. That is, a campaign that works even when there is little or no downtime, but yet a campaign where gold remains important.

Does that even begin to answer your question...? :)

Last edited:

CapnZapp

Legend
One more possible answer I found at rpg.net:
Right - the "just level up whenever!" approach fails to incentivise stupid (and hilarious) old-school scenarios like "how do we finagle this bulky, fragile and ridiculously valuable piece of furniture over this pit trap without damaging it - and thus reducing its XP payout - in the process?".

(Bonus points if the encounter table has a random number of orcs come rocking up while you're in the middle of figuring that out. What's your reaction modifier, again? Hope you didn't dump-stat Charisma! :D )

CapnZapp

Legend
is "gaming" the system (robbing villagers or barkeeps or even each other, earning money by gambling or trading, hiring henchmen to take the risks for you and so on ad nauseam) frowned upon or accepted? That is, the easiest way to prevent it is for the GM to say "you earn xp for gold only when I say you do". Others dislike the subjectivety but instead end up encouraging playes to ruleslawyer various loopholes, so they end up focusing more on the rule than the adventure.

One sudden idea to attempt to make the rules clear to the players, while still not getting bogged down in increasingly arcane stipulations...:

You only gain xp when you spend/waste gold.

Not silver.

And every transaction made back in "Hub Town" is made in silver. Every "neutral" NPC you're not supposed to kill carries silver. Gold you spend on carousing (or donating to your church) is magically transformed into silver when you recieve the xp. If you somehow prevent this transformation (antimagic field? :p) you also don't get any xp.

This should make it easier to convey the idea that the game isn't about hauling back every dirty chainmail armor of the twenty orcs you've killed, because you will be paid in silver.

You *can* still do it, but only to cover mundane expenses, not to actually level up.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
One sudden idea to attempt to make the rules clear to the players, while still not getting bogged down in increasingly arcane stipulations...:

You only gain xp when you spend/waste gold.

Not silver.

And every transaction made back in "Hub Town" is made in silver. Every "neutral" NPC you're not supposed to kill carries silver. Gold you spend on carousing (or donating to your church) is magically transformed into silver when you recieve the xp. If you somehow prevent this transformation (antimagic field? :p) you also don't get any xp.

This should make it easier to convey the idea that the game isn't about hauling back every dirty chainmail armor of the twenty orcs you've killed, because you will be paid in silver.

You *can* still do it, but only to cover mundane expenses, not to actually level up.

Immersion breaking, but effective. I could see this as a mechanic in a video game. An alternative could be to have all the gold in a region be from the hoard of a legendary and powerful dragon, and the more of it you have, the more of the creature's power is granted to you, so the bigger your hoard grows, the greater your power grows. (Until someone has enough of it, and explodes, turning into the reborn dragon who enchanted it for just this purpose)

Another way to deal with it is to specify what "treasure" is, and what "spoils" are, and differentiate between the two. Magic items and other equipment are spoils, and gems, coins and art objects are treasure.

Brandegoris

First Post
That's actually a fair question! :)

One huge reason must be nostalgia, since this is a rule from D&D's earliest days. In the following, remember we're looking this from an old school dungeoneering perspective. Ideas such as "milestone XP" simply doesn't exist.

One big reason is to encourage a mercenary playstyle. Like Conan in many stories, or Han Solo (initially). To get away from the saccarine chivalric stories where you good.

It might be crude, but it is an attempt to move away from "kill xp". If you get xp from loot, you don't NEED to kill the monsters. This was perhaps the first attempt at a richer experience, since you now aren't penalized for circumventing/ignoring/outsmarting the monsters. In fact, with xp for gold you are ENCOURAGED to circumvent/ignore/outsmart the monsters.

Already in Moldvay D&D the rules said "most of the experience the characters will get will be from treasure (usually 3/4 or more)". Even if that didn't exactly check out, it tells us what the ambition was.

I should also say that "xp for gold" can mean significantly different things for different people.
- do you get gold, xp, or both (in various ratios)
- do you get xp immediately when you loot the gold or later (and how)
- is "gaming" the system (robbing villagers or barkeeps or even each other, earning money by gambling or trading, hiring henchmen to take the risks for you and so on ad nauseam) frowned upon or accepted? That is, the easiest way to prevent it is for the GM to say "you earn xp for gold only when I say you do". Others dislike the subjectivety but instead end up encouraging playes to ruleslawyer various loopholes, so they end up focusing more on the rule than the adventure.

In MY case, I'm working from 5e and the year 2016 when I realized the edition is a step backwards from 3e in how it does or does not answer the huge question: "but what is gold for?"

So in my case it's an attempt to provide an answer as an alternative to downtime. That is, a campaign that works even when there is little or no downtime, but yet a campaign where gold remains important.

Does that even begin to answer your question...? :)

Right! I remember the Thief in 2nd edition getting XP for Gold earned. Of Course we also gave warriors individual XP for Enemies slain and Spellcasters XP for each spell level cast if the spell was useful also it all went hand in hand.

Love Conan. I Love that no matter how wealthy he got he was always poor because he blew all his money.
I give my players EXTRA XP if they role play and spend their cash.

CapnZapp

Legend
It seems almost too obvious, but wouldn't the easiest way to keep things balanced be to place a quantity of gold equivalent to the XP of the creatures guarding it?
Sure. Don't forget about one thing, though:

People run the xp-for-gold scheme for (at least*) two reasons:
a) they like getting the choice between gear and levels
b) they like the way gameplay changes when you no longer need to kill or defeat monsters

If all you do is replace "30 xp" written on the back of an Orc with "30 gp" in its pockets, all you get is a).

In order to not lose getting b) you need to actually move the 30 xp from the Orc's back and place the 30 gp in the community pot of gold (or whatever).

Carry on :)

*) PS. I can imagine more reasons…
c) because nostalgia…
d) because it makes xp important again. Ever since D&D abandoned having different xp charts for different classes (a Thief levelling up faster than a Magic User given the same XP), or paying XP to enchant items (upgrading that +1 Sword into a +2 Sword costs 5000 gold and 1000 XP, say) there really is no need for xp anymore…
e) I'm sure I've forgotten a couple big ones. You can add them here!

Last edited:

Remove ads