D&D 4E Get WotC 4e's Online Character Builder to work or get a sub

stk3702

First Post
has anybody else the problem that when you try to load a char in char builder or try to build a new one the builder throws an unknow error message? It started yesterday. I tested it on two pc's. (ie win 7 / win 8.1)

I have it too ... I tweeted them

The Bluemanarc

First Post
Yes the CB is still down, but did anyone actually read the unknown error message.
One person in our campaign did.

The first thing of note that he spotted was the mention of "Vecna" !!!!!!!

I think we all know now whom is to blame.
He knows and see's and manipulates everything.

Pretty good considering he is somewhat handicapped visually and physically since that incident he doesn't like to talk about.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, new accounts can be made and the link is in the first post. It costs about $75/year or $10/month. The $10/month subscription for a month lets you download every single Dragon/Dungeon magazine from 4e, so that's a great value for a month if for no other reason.

Definitely more than a little worth it.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Yes the CB is still down, but did anyone actually read the unknown error message.
One person in our campaign did.

The first thing of note that he spotted was the mention of "Vecna" !!!!!!!

I think we all know now whom is to blame.
He knows and see's and manipulates everything.

Pretty good considering he is somewhat handicapped visually and physically since that incident he doesn't like to talk about.
It's funny, but also technical. They named the URLs for Vecna and Ioun. Vecna for the character builder and Ioun for the compendium. If you look at the sources for the files, that's where they go. Such as, 'http://vecna.wizards.com/blahblahblah' or whatever. It won't be in the URL bar in your browser, but internally, that's where its looking.

MwaO

Adventurer
It's funny, but also technical. They named the URLs for Vecna and Ioun. Vecna for the character builder and Ioun for the compendium. If you look at the sources for the files, that's where they go. Such as, 'http://vecna.wizards.com/blahblahblah' or whatever. It won't be in the URL bar in your browser, but internally, that's where its looking.

Right. I think there are 3 internal computers being used as servers for WotC powering DDI:
Vecna for Character Builder type of activities
Ioun for Compendium
Media for storage — art and PCs as an example. Media might be used for other things.

So two things that are possibly going on here:
Vecna appears to be loading up on the computer. Saving of data seems to be a problem.

In the last crash of Character Builder, when they turned it back on, there was an issue with character art. It looks like someone triggered an old setting allowing pictures from the web to be imported correctly. I'm not clear why it was ever turned off in the first place. But maybe it caused problems and was considered insignificant enough that it was considered easier to turn off than deal with the bugs it caused.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
In the last crash of Character Builder, when they turned it back on, there was an issue with character art. It looks like someone triggered an old setting allowing pictures from the web to be imported correctly. I'm not clear why it was ever turned off in the first place. But maybe it caused problems and was considered insignificant enough that it was considered easier to turn off than deal with the bugs it caused.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Anything that happens with the 4e tools at this point could be attributed to either lack of concern, or deliberate disdain. I guess generic incompetence could be at play as well. It is WotC with a digital product, after all.

MwaO

Adventurer
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Anything that happens with the 4e tools at this point could be attributed to either lack of concern, or deliberate disdain. I guess generic incompetence could be at play as well. It is WotC with a digital product, after all.

Yup. Probably something in the media.wizard.com server that fields requests has crashed. Or because that might get used elsewhere, someone moved the IP address or something similar and that crashed something.

I mean really, it should be at this point, a simple game of backup the computers and store the results on the web somewhere. Or just hand the stupid thing off to whoever is doing 5e's builder and ask them to fix it for no more Silverlight for part of the income stream.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I mean really, it should be at this point, a simple game of backup the computers and store the results on the web somewhere. Or just hand the stupid thing off to whoever is doing 5e's builder and ask them to fix it for no more Silverlight for part of the income stream.
That'd be nice. At this point I'm betting zero additional time / resources will be devoted to this. I'm honestly surprised they even bothered to make the 4e books digitally available in pdf, after all the talk in the leadup to 5e. Their "big tent" isn't quite big enough.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases