• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Discovery Trailer

Water Bob

Adventurer
If you had clicked the link :

"Aboard the USS Enterprise-E, Doctor Beverly Crusher fusses over the collar on Captain Jean-Luc Picard's dress uniform. Reading from a PADD, Counselor Deanna Troi repeats an alien greeting for the captain to memorize: "Yew-cheen chef-faw, emphasis on the 'cheen' and the 'faw'." Similarly decked out in his dress uniform, Commander William T. Riker arrives at the captain's quarters to gather the other officers – the guests are getting impatient. They are also eating the flower arrangements on the banquet tables.

As the four officers march down a corridor and into a turbolift, Riker breaks it to the captain: the Enterprise has been ordered to the Goren system to mediate a territorial dispute. Picard expresses his dissatisfaction, with the Federation embroiled in a bloody war with the Dominion, the Enterprise and her crew have been relegated to a diplomatic role. In that capacity, Picard and company are playing host to new protectorates, the Evora. "Can anyone remember," Picard wonders, "when we used to be explorers?""

I did get it right. Where am I wrong?

There's a throw away line for Picard to be somewhere else besides the Dominion War. Picard has been relegated to a diplomatic role.

That's exactly what I was talking about. The Entierprise is sent out to BFE when we could have had a superb Trek War film that ties in with the TV series.

EDIT: And, I did click the link.

I did get it right. Where am I wrong?
right here is your confusion :
T The powers that be at Star Fleet didn't want Picard in the war because of his connection with the Borg (who had nothing to do with the Dominion War), so they kept him far away from it.

From First contact:

[FONT=&quot]Picard dutifully informs his crew that they are to take the new [/FONT]Sovereign-class[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]USS Enterprise-E[FONT=&quot] to patrol the [/FONT]Romulan Neutral Zone[FONT=&quot], a minor threat compared to the Borg. The senior crew protest and are confused as to why the most advanced ship in the fleet is relegated to a relatively unimportant task; the Romulans have not caused any incidents recently and would almost certainly not take the opportunity to start a conflict. Picard doesn't disagree with the protests but is compelled to follow orders. He later confides to [/FONT]first officer[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]William T. Riker[FONT=&quot] that the reason Starfleet is keeping the [/FONT]Enterprise away from the Borg is due to Picard's history with them.

but yeah it was a missed chance since what they were up to was relegated to the books.

Klingons have changed three times already. I find it hard to be bothered by a fourth.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World
They changed from TOS to the movies, but were pretty consistent since then. For almost 30 years really.
Unless you count Into Darkness. But even then that's only twice.

The real missed opportunity was Star Trek Insurrection. That movie came out right in the heat of the Dominion War shown on DS9. It was an opportunity to connect the TV and the movie--to have a Trek movie about WAR! All kinds of Trek morality problems could have been presented--those awesome, disguised statements and war and what not. Plus, it would just be cool to see what the Enterprise was doing in the war. They could have had the Enterprise pick up Worf off of DS9 for some special reason related to the plot.

But, no.

Instead, they gave us and OK movie (meh, as a movie, but is probably a good two-hour TV episode) instead of something really great that connected with the TV show.

At least the war was mentioned in the film. The powers that be at Star Fleet didn't want Picard in the war because of his connection with the Borg (who had nothing to do with the Dominion War), so they kept him far away from it.

Now, they'll let him command one of their brand new fancy starships. And, he'd just saved the timeline against a Borg attack. But, hey, he's not in good enough shape to fight the Dominion.

Big. Missed. Opportunity.
I imagine they wanted a stand alone film that would be accessible for people not watching DS9. Which was likely a *lot* of people. That and the people making the movies were unrelated to the staff writing the TV show. Or requiring people to watch the movie to keep understanding the show.
And it'd be hard to coordinate a movie around the plot of a TV show that wasn't being written let alone filmed until months after the movie ended production but would still air earlier.

Water Bob

Adventurer
TI imagine they wanted a stand alone film that would be accessible for people not watching DS9. Which was likely a *lot* of people. That and the people making the movies were unrelated to the staff writing the TV show. Or requiring people to watch the movie to keep understanding the show.
And it'd be hard to coordinate a movie around the plot of a TV show that wasn't being written let alone filmed until months after the movie ended production but would still air earlier.

What you say is correct, I'm sure. Those reasons aside, it's still a big missed opportunity. Continuing a plot or theme through several movies (or, in this case, between TV show and movie) does take coordination, but as the new Marvel movies are proving, when done well, the public likes it.

Star Trek Generations was tied fairly closely to the TV show (The Duras Sisters), and it did more business than the film they created (on a budget that was significantly bigger), Insurrection.

I'm sure it was possible for make a film about the War that was both accessible for people not watching DS9 and still connected to it at the same time.

What you say is correct, I'm sure. Those reasons aside, it's still a big missed opportunity. Continuing a plot or theme through several movies (or, in this case, between TV show and movie) does take coordination, but as the new Marvel movies are proving, when done well, the public likes it.
True. But, in fairness, even Marvel's films don't cross over to the TV shows. They've referenced a location that was first seen in the TV show, a couple years later, but that's about it. Typically, the TV show alters itself to match whatever the movies are doing.

Really, having Insurrection directly reference what's going on in the TV is a step beyond what Marvel has done.

Ryujin

Legend
True. But, in fairness, even Marvel's films don't cross over to the TV shows. They've referenced a location that was first seen in the TV show, a couple years later, but that's about it. Typically, the TV show alters itself to match whatever the movies are doing.

Really, having Insurrection directly reference what's going on in the TV is a step beyond what Marvel has done.

Except for "Marvel's Agents of Shield." That show had incidents occur as a direct result of the movies and events from the movies were foreshadowed in the TV show.

Except for "Marvel's Agents of Shield." That show had incidents occur as a direct result of the movies and events from the movies were foreshadowed in the TV show.

Right. But it's always the TV show referencing the movies. Like when DS9 changed over uniforms to match the new Trek movie uniforms from First Contact.
Because the movie is filmed a year before it airs over the course of three or four months, while a TV show is filmed over four days a few months before it airs. So SHIlELD can reference and act as a prequel to Avengers or Captain America since those movies are in the can and just going through final FX and the TV shows can write around them.

Doing the reverse - tying a movie into a TV show - is super hard. When Insurrection was released in December '98 but production work began (sets, FX, etc) at the start of the year. While scripting occurs in mid-1997.
So the movie was written halfway through season 6 of DS9 and aired halfway through season 7. That's a long time to ask the TV show to think ahead.
"Hey, I know you're busy planning the second half of the season... but you could also plan all of next season at the same time so a movie can happen?"

Water Bob

Adventurer

And, the entire first season of Daredevil on Netflix saw Kingpin involve himself in the feast for building contracts after the Avengers leveled New York City in the movies.

Water Bob

Adventurer
Doing the reverse - tying a movie into a TV show - is super hard. When Insurrection was released in December '98 but production work began (sets, FX, etc) at the start of the year. While scripting occurs in mid-1997.
So the movie was written halfway through season 6 of DS9 and aired halfway through season 7. That's a long time to ask the TV show to think ahead.
"Hey, I know you're busy planning the second half of the season... but you could also plan all of next season at the same time so a movie can happen?"

Although I don't doubt it can be done, especially with the amount of money on the table that could be gained by pulling it off, you do make some excellent points.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They changed from TOS to the movies, but were pretty consistent since then. For almost 30 years really.
Unless you count Into Darkness. But even then that's only twice.

Bad phrasing on my part.

There have been three versions of the Klingons already. I'm not bothered by a fourth.

Remove ads