D&D 5E Converting Black Lotus Extract (and other poisons)?

Quickleaf

Legend
I'm trying to convert a handful of poisons to 5e, notably Black Lotus Extract and something called Infernal Death. How do these attempts look?

Black Lotus Extract: The d20 stats are Contact DC 20 / Initial Damage 3d6 Con / Secondary Damage 3d6 Con / 4,500 gp.
Comparing that to the d20 stats for Wyvern Poison, it just looks like a more powerful version – but in 5e Purple Worm Poison already fulfills that role. However, it seems there's more to black lotus extract than just that...

In Howard's Conan stories, black lotus is used to get high, and also as a deadly extract.
In the Baldur's Gate games black lotus seems to be used similarly to an opiate and is illegal.

In Dragon Magazine #121, "The Deadliest Perfume" by John P. Brown describes black lotus as a deadly poison which cannot be neutralized through magical means.

In Pathfinder, black lotus extract is described as a dark sticky paste added to assassin's blades to make the target unable to be healed.

Would something like this be a reasonable conversion...?

[SECTION]Black Lotus Extract (contact, 3,000 gp). This poison must be harvested from a black lotus blossom. A creature subjected to this poison must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 31 (9d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The creature’s hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the poison damage. This reduction lasts until the creature finishes a long rest or until it is affected by a spell like greater restoration.[/SECTION]

I compared the amount of maximum HP reduction (9d6) to the two monsters with the highest max. HP reduction potential in the MM: Chasme 24 (7d6) and Succubus 32 (5d10+5). I used that as my range.

Then I compared 5e Wyvern Poison (Injury / DC 15 Con save / 24 (7d6) damage / 1,500 gp) & 5e Purple Worm Poison (Injury / DC 19 Con save / 42 (12d6) damage / 2,000 gp). I also used that as my range.

Infernal Death: This poison comes from the AD&D Al-Qadim Assassin Mountain boxed set:

The Flamedeath Fellowship occasionally uses an extremely rare magical brew called the Infernal Death, derived from the ichor of fire elementals. It is a slow-acting poison that causes death in 12-48 hours unless a saving throw is successful. Neutralize poison alone is ineffective against it; this spell must be cast simultaneously with protection from fire, 10’ radius for the Infernal Death to be neutralized. Thus, two clerics are required to rid the victim of this poison. Slow poison merely prolongs the agony.

Infernal Death is said to be highly reactive and can be served to a victim only in spicy dishes because of its sharp, acidic flavor. Victims who make their saving throws at a -2 penalty suffer severe, debilitating rashes for 1-4 days, resulting in a temporary six-point reduction in Dexterity.

For this one, because it is "slow-acting", right away that bucks the trend of existing 5e poisons which mostly (with the exception of Midnight Tears) take effect immediately.

Would something like this be a reasonable conversion...?

[SECTION]Infernal Death (ingested, 4,500 gp). This poison must be harvested from the ichor of a dead fire elemental. It can be applied to food or drink as an action, its flavor masked by spicy food and strong wine. Any creature ingesting the food or drink must make a DC 17 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, there are no symptoms until after 2d6 hours when the creature is poisoned and begins to display a skin rash. The poisoned creature must repeat this save every hour; on a failed save it suffers 5 (1d10) poison damage and 5 (1d10) fire damage. Each failed save increases both poison and fire damage by 1d10 cumulatively. After three successful saves, the creature is no longer poisoned.
Lesser restoration and other magic that cures poison only functions against Infernal Death if the poisoned creature also has fire resistance or immunity at the time.[/SECTION]

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
If there's some narcotic effect then adding disadvantage on skill checks (as the subject becomes a bit delirious - or out of touch with reality) seems like some cool flavor?

Quickleaf

Legend
If there's some narcotic effect then adding disadvantage on skill checks (as the subject becomes a bit delirious - or out of touch with reality) seems like some cool flavor?

Yeah, for Black Lotus Extract I'd considered adding the Poisoned condition (which imposes disadvantage on attack and skill checks). Something like...

[SECTION]Black Lotus Extract (contact, 3,000 gp). This poison must be harvested from a black lotus blossom. A creature subjected to this poison must succeed on a DC 17 Constitution saving throw, taking 31 (9d6) poison damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The creature’s hit point maximum is reduced by an amount equal to the poison damage. While the creature's hit point maximum is reduced in this way, it is also poisoned. This reduction lasts until the creature finishes a long rest or until it is affected by a spell like greater restoration.[/SECTION]

However, I was worried imposing Poisoned for that long would be really punitive and all but mandate the party either cast greater restoration or withdraw to long rest.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
However, I was worried imposing Poisoned for that long would be really punitive and all but mandate the party either cast greater restoration or withdraw to long rest.

We don't want to force players to actually make choices, do we?

Seriously, it seems fine to me. And it's not like it lasts a week or is permanent; you can cancel the effects by sleeping it off. Keep the poisoned condition in there.

One of my main complaints about 5e and almost all supplemental material for it is a complete refusal to take chances or break outside it's comfort box at all. Do it, Quickleaf. Surprise people. Be my hero.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Here is some flavor from the Arcanum supplement.

Clipboard01.jpg

Quickleaf

Legend
We don't want to force players to actually make choices, do we?

Seriously, it seems fine to me. And it's not like it lasts a week or is permanent; you can cancel the effects by sleeping it off. Keep the poisoned condition in there.

One of my main complaints about 5e and almost all supplemental material for it is a complete refusal to take chances or break outside it's comfort box at all. Do it, Quickleaf. Surprise people. Be my hero.

That's a good observation. I think leaving the "comfort box" as you call it is really important to keep players surprised, engaged, and guessing.

I'll go with the more dangerous version!

Remove ads