D&D 5E Sidelining Players- the Good, the Bad, the Ugly, and the Poll

Is sidelining players a viable option in your 5e game?

• Yes. Bad things can happen to players, and the game goes on.

Votes: 78 56.1%
  • Yes. But only because the DM has alternatives to keep the player involved.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • No. The game is supposed to be fun, and not playing is not fun.

Votes: 24 17.3%
  • I am not a number! I am a free man!

Votes: 8 5.8%

• Poll closed .
Most of my games are spent IC. Nobody has a problem with some jokes and goofing around, especially if you can frame your jokes in an IC fashion, but too much side talk breaks immersion. Luckily, we've only had to ask one player to leave because they kept cracking OOC jokes, even after being politely asked to stop twice.

For many people, it can be really hard to stay in character with an OOC peanut gallery.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Encourage your players to give a damn about each other's play experience such that, if someone is sidelined, they make a reasonable effort to remedy that situation.

This is the key point, it's about the party, not the individual... They should be a team, supporting each other, and wanting the party as a whole to be successful.

yes his rule since he started and still today is "If you need a new PC for any reason you come in with 0xp and no magic items" it gets worse since he isn't that creative really he almost always puts the character in chains captured as part of an encounter mid dungeon...so you start with no equipment. Over the years my own games and a few of my friends have picked up new players because people loose a PC in his game, and the player wont come into a level X game as level 1...

the funniest thing is somehow he is almost more likely then any of us to find new players. He always has 3+ new players even now...but his games also have more turn over then any other game I have ever seen.

and yes, he is very clear on what he expected me to do (not just me, but anyone in that postion)... Sit and only interact with other players who are not playing, and even then we shouldn't discuss the game. One of his 'metagaming' rules is if he thinks you get help out of game (even inbetween weeks), or if he thinks you looked up an adventure, or monster manual, then everyone gets 1/2xp for that encounter.... yes the whole party is penilized for 1 person.

Edit: I believe the only player who was playing in 98 who still played with the DM when 3.5 came out was the woman he married about that time... and the only player who still plays today who was playing when 4e came out is still his wife, like I said high turn over rate, I don't think he has ever in his life ended a campaign with all the players still playing that started

This guy sounds incredible. Please ask him to come here and do an AMA!

Back when I just started, I played with a 3.0 DM like this. He had a high level DMPC with multicoloured hair in a ponytail that accompanied the party and helped out with spells and whatnot. It was goofy even at the time, but he seemed to be happy! Anyway, a bunch of us ended up leaving at the same time to join a different group - I honestly cannot remember why or in what circumstances, and thinking about it now I hope that we didn't ruin his campaign in doing so - and I think that he kept on trucking with other, newer, players. The chaps with high turnover can be really good for the hobby; someone has to bring the new players in, and if your game is so stable that you've got the same players ten years later, then the chances are it isn't you.

Sorry for the digression, just a memory that your post dredged up. Wonder what ever happened to that guy, and his daft rainbow-ponytail-sorcerer...

Mercule

Adventurer
In retrospect, I probably should have voted #2. I confiscate all electronics when my players show up. I'd probably give them back their phone if their character died. Maybe. Otherwise, they can entertain themselves by creating a new character who is, hopefully, higher on the Darwin ladder.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
56% of voters (so far) think it's okay to force a player to sit around not playing for hours?

Option 1 seems like the one where the DM does nothing. The player just sits there.
Option 2 seems like the one where the DM offers alternatives like playing monsters.
Option 3 seems like the one where the DM uses different punishments.

And Option 1 is winning?
I voted for 1.

In my defense, i just really enjoy watching people suffer.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
In retrospect, I probably should have voted #2. I confiscate all electronics when my players show up. I'd probably give them back their phone if their character died. Maybe. Otherwise, they can entertain themselves by creating a new character who is, hopefully, higher on the Darwin ladder.

Real D&D players have their backup characters ready to go and an entrance plan already in mind. :)

(Somewhat tangential aside: It's really hard to kill off your character in 5e! I've dropped to 0 in our last 4 fights, but between the death saves not going my way (natural 20 when I'm at 2 death saves!), and healing freakin' word, I always get pulled back from the brink.)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Suck it up, buttercup.

Michael Bay is the greatest director of our, or any, time, and 1000 years from now scholars will be analyzing his movies and saying, "William Shakespeare who?"

The only tragedy of his illustrious career was that, other than The Rock, there is a singular dearth of Nic Cage.

My brain just melted a bit.

CydKnight

Explorer
The question for me becomes whether or not sidelining a player should be a legitimate consequence of the player's actions within the game. Often the blame in such instances is placed solely on the DM which I feel is rarely with the exception being competitive DMs looking to kill PCs. A majority of the time I feel that the player has a choice though they often don't want to hear that after the fact.

Sometimes the choice is fairly obvious like choosing not to drink that superior healing potion and attacking one more time instead or choosing to stay and fight instead of fleeing when the door was left open for you to do so. In other cases it may be about what you didn't do like choosing to cast that Protection from Poison before going into that encounter with the Green Dragon.

Most DMs do not want to sideline the players long before a game session ends and players certainly want to avoid being sidelined but I feel it can be a legitimate learning tool. I recently had a player die early and he had to sit out 3 hours of the remainder of the session. Afterwards I assisted him in creating a completely different character which is much better suited for his play style. His game play has flourished since as a result of that initial PC death.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I'm more an option 1.5 guy. I went with option 2 because it's closest, but I'm okay with sidelining a player for a half hour to an hour. Any longer than that and I'm going to look for other ways to include him in the game.

Remove ads