That got Macfeece thinking.

"Sorry, but If it is not in the books, then we need to write a new book."

"But what would we call this book?"

"Player's Handbook 2?"

"How about The new book of Crunch"

"Why crunch?"

"I don't really know"

"Al Qathas Adventurer's Guide?"

"Well if we have Unearthed a new school of Arcane magic, then it should be......"

".....Uhm the new book of magic?"

"Yes Albert let's just call it that. Now how much fluff should be in it?"

"What has fluff got to do with anything?"

"Well flavour then."

"I don't want to eat it."

"I give up. Sorry."

BoldItalic

First Post
Flora helped Tippy up and cast Mud to Marmalade because it was funnier that way.

They walked on and, with Tasha's local knowledge to guide them, they soon reached the city without further difficulty. The guard at the city gate asked for their documents and checked them thoroughly, which took no time at all because they hadn't got any. "That's alright then," said the guard cheerily and waved them through.

Albert was professionally curious. "What if we did have documents?" he asked.

"Oh, that would be very suspicious and we would have arrested you on the spot," explained the guard. "Any real rogue would have lots of forged documents to try to prove how innocent he was; genuinely innocent people don't need any."

Albert pondered that. He had learnt something useful.

Last edited:

BoldItalic

First Post
Tippy spoke to a passing urchin. "Blessings upon thee, small urchin," he intoned, "We are travellers from afar, seeking a place to stay in this city."

In exchange for a copper piece, the urchin recommended somewhere he called "The Eppy" and when Tippy looked blank, he elaborated. "The Epitomised Hostelry," he explained, "It's run by my Uncle Edwin and Aunt Matilda. Go straight down this road to the city centre and it's on the left between the Temple of Doom and the Hall of Prosperity."

"Thank you, you are very knowledgeable."

"I'm not really an urchin, I'm covering for my friend while she steals the keys to the gold vaults hidden in the sewers."

"I wonder ..." began Albert, but Tasha nudged him in the ribs and made signals with her eyebrows that he thought meant "Bandits at twelve o'clock high! Tally ho! Red Leader out!" but he might have been watching the wrong movies so he wasn't sure and kept quiet.

At this point, Tippy though he ought to start being leader-ish and review resources, set goals, agree plans and whatnot. You could tell he'd been on a management course. "Macfeece, what spells have you prepared today?" he asked.

"Comprehend Oranges and Find Familiar. Would you like to see my celestial octopus? He's called Tickles."

"Er, no, not right now, keep him until we need him. How about cantrips?"

"Blade Ward, Ray of Frost, and Light/Heavy"

"Okay, that's a useful combination, thank you."

"I read the book on min/maxing and that's what it said was best."

"Yes, well done."

Making their way towards the city centre along a busy street throng'ed with many throngs, the street suddenly emptied but for a sedan chair hurrying away on the other side and a sorcerer in a wide-brimmed hat who had emerged unexpectedly from a side street. Ignoring the party, the sorcerer put two fingers in her mouth, emitted a piercing whistle, and shouted to the sedan chair: "Taxeee!"

"What was all that about?" wondered Albert.

"INITB," shrugged Macfeece.

"What's INITB mean? Is it a cantrip?"

"No, it's arcane-speak. It means It's Not In The Books."

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Though Macfeece had been responding to questions asked him for the last few hours, his mind had been very much elsewhere. Mathematically elsewhere.......and after going in endless repeating circles for a while it was finally reaching a conclusion.

"...so Tasha's a half-half/half-orc...but half-half is half of a half, and thus is a quarter...so half an orc and a quarter of what...and what was or is the other missing quarter...and where'd it go...or if she's a half-orc/half-orc that means when you do the math that she's only a quarter-orc, so now there's three quarters missing. That's even worse! A-and...if there's a quarter missing and three quarters missing, that means the whole thing is....an illusion!"

So while schlepping through the muddy streets Macfeece suddenly stopped and turned to Tippy and Flora, exclaiming "You know what else isn't in the book? The ability for an illusion to sustain itself for so long over so much range! But it has; for what we've been told is Tasha is just a very elaborate illusion!"

BoldItalic

First Post
At the suggestion that she was an illusion, Tasha roared with laughter. Eyes streaming, she doubled up, shouting "Woot! Woot! Woot! I'm an illusion! Yes! Yes!" and finally ended up rolling on the ground flat on her back waving her legs in the air like a mad puppy. If over-acting was a sausage, she was doing the whole pig.

Flora reached down and slapped her hard about the ears, at which she returned to her senses. "You were hysterical," Flora admonished, "and not in a good way."

Tippy helped her up, then dropped the halberd on her foot when he tried to pick it up and give it back to her. "Ouch!" said ... Flora.

"It's you, Flora!" shouted Macfeece, "I saw that feather you just tucked back into your pocket! You just cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter on your own illusion! You can't fool me! I disbelieve! I disbelieve!"

"Now you've done it," said Tasha sadly. "It would have worked, too."

"What would have worked?" asked a puzzled Albert. "Can someone explain what's going on?"

"I wanted to keep it a secret, but now I can't," said Tasha wistfully. Then she twiddled her halberd in a special way and Flora vanished with a splip sound. "My halberd is a Halberd +1 of Dragon Summoning. That wasn't the real Flora, it was just some other dragon I summoned and the chintz was just painted on, except I forgot to use waterproof paint. But you accepted her anyway, so I followed you until I could let you find me. Now it's all gone wrong."

"Why did you do it?" asked Tippy kindly.

Tasha burst into tears. "I just wanted to be accepted," she sobbed. "You don't know what it's like, being half this, half that! Nobody wants to know you!"

"We do, and I think you are very brave to tell us this," recited Macfeece, looking up from a book he was reading entitled The Right Way To Cope With A Person Who Feels Rejected By Society.

Then Albert suprised them all by giving Tasha a hug and wiping the tears from her eyes with a handkerchief he had stolen from the gate guard earlier. "Let's find that Inn," he said to the others.

Tippy (Theodore Ignatius Phillpot Price; Cleric-1; Hammer & Boomerang)
Macfeece (Wizard-1)
Albert (Thief-1)
Tasha (Half-Orc/Half-Orc Fighter-1; Halberd of Dragon Summoning & Sling)

Last edited:

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Where had it all gone wrong, thought Dumbar the very old barman. He had seen many adventuring parties over the years. Kept them full of ale and mutton stew, pointed out the gossiper, gave them lodging for a night, and the next morn, off they go to their dooms, never to be seen again.

He had noticed the changes. The party had evolved, and some classes were just simply forgotten. The Wizard was replaced by the Sorcerer or the Warlock, the Ranger by the Seeker, Warlock or the Gunsmith, The fighter outdated by the Barbarian or Monk, the Cleric by the Druid or Paladin and the Thief by the Assassin, Ninja, Bard and Acrobat.

He had seen themed parties of 7 Dwarves, or all Warlocks, Dance troops of Bards and many silly stag/hen night combo's. The demand for Ale and Mutton evolved as well. Dumbar had had to move with the times. His was now a Gastro-Pub selling fillet hand reared this and seasoned x from there. Ale had turned into mead had turned into session beers and pale ales and blond ales. Oh how he missed the golden years of adventurers.

At that moment the doors opened and in walked a fighter, a wizard, a cleric and a thief. The cleric being the most sociable and the so called leader of the group spoke to Dumbar the very old barman.

"Good sir. We require Ale and Mutton Stew and a room for the night, and if you don't mind, could you point out the local gossiper."

Dumbar broke down and wept tears of joy. Many tears.

BoldItalic

First Post
The local gossip was a jovial-looking man called Winking Jim Forthright. When Tippy stumbled into him (literally), Jim was sitting at a table in the bar sharing a drink with some equally jovial friends. "You must be that cleric fellow who's just arrived in the city," said Jim. "I gather you're looking for a chintz dragon called Flora?"

"Er, yes," said Tippy, wondering how this man knew so much. Jim winked and tapped the side of his nose with a finger. "News travels fast," he said knowingly. "You need to talk to Seamus O'Rock," he continued, "He runs a wheelwright's business in the Old Quarter. What he doesn't know about cloth dragons isn't worth a packet of snails."

"Er, thank you, you are remarkably well-informed."

"It's what I'm here for, lad. Now, what's the low-down on the Duke's new bride?"

And so Tippy told Jim all he knew about Terri House-Tranger, including the story about how she faced The Machine of Lum the Madder and used the Ring of Three Fishes to overcome it with a lacrosse raquet.1 Jim nodded, and filed the information away in his head for later. His friend Gene The Genial Genealogist would be interested, especially in the bit about her descent from the IXth Duke of Strathbogle. There were stories about his nephew, the XIth Duke, that would make a bald man's hair curl.

Just then, Dumbar came by to tell Tippy and the others that their rooms were ready, that dinner for four would be served in an adjoining room and it was a pleasure to accomodate such fine people. He glanced at Jim when he said this and certain thoughts were exchanged, as a result of which, although they didn't know it, the party's standing in the city went up several notches. Knowing people was Dumbar's job, and when Dumbar approved of people, they were approved of.

The rooms were simple but well-furnished and after a hearty meal of mutton stew avec extra dumplings à la maison they all retired to bed, tired out by the strange events that had befallen them.

At midnight, as the temple bells struck bong o'clock, Albert crept out of his room and prowled the corridors looking for something to steal. He didn't need the money, but he felt obliged to do it as a matter of professional pride. It was an old inn, much altered over the centuries and the corridors were quaintly maze-like with unexpected corners, false stairs, blind windows, doors that connected through to themselves and so on. After a while, having gone some distance trying doorhandles, he found a room that was unlocked and there seemed to be nobody about, so he stealthily crept in and stealthily crept around the room looking for valuables to snatch. This was what he had trained for. It was all very well going around with the others for mutual protection and whatnot, but thieving was a skilled job best left to experts like him.

A purse of coins lying innocently on a table was an obvious trap. It was easy to disarm, he knew all about traps like that and, indeed, used them himself on occasion. A pair of leather boots in a wardrobe were no better than his own spare pair and would only sell for coppers if that, so he left them and turned his attention elsewhere. There wasn't much. He was about to give up on this room and try further down the corridor when, turning to leave, he noticed a coat hanging on the back of the door that looked remarkably like his own. He was struck with a sudden sense of déjà vu. He had been robbing his own room. Oops.2

Early next morning, before Rosy-Fingered Dawn3 arrived to chase away his slumber, Macfeece woke with a start to find a shadowy figure floating beside his bed. The figure moaned: "Don't eat the cheese! Don't eat the cheese!" over and over again until it got really quite annoying. He asked the ghost (for such it was) what was wrong with the cheese, but got no reply - it was as if the ghost hadn't heard him. He reached for his Manual of Ghostly Hauntings and lit a candle on the bedside table to read it by; at that, the ghost vanished as if it had never been and he was left wondering if it had ever really happened.

When Macfeece related the ghostly encounter at breakfast, Tippy did a quick Augury over a block of cheese and the answer was Woe Unto Thee! Thrice Woe! which is pretty bad. He cast Prunify Food and Drink, just to be on the safe side, and a whole mass of cheese moth caterpillars came wriggling out of the block of cheese because if there's one thing they can't stand, it's the flavour of prunes.

"You had a lucky escape," remarked Tasha, gobbling up the caterpillars with gusto, "Those things are deadly poison to humans."

1 It wasn't quite like that, but the story has grown in the telling.
2 Tricky one, this. If he genuinely didn't know he was robbing himself, should he get the XP anyway?
3 No, I'm not being Homeric. Dawn was the chambermaid who went around before anyone else was up, making up the fires in the grates and filling the jugs on the washstands. She wasn't always very quiet.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
"The day is fresh anon dearest and we shall but rise the end of it yay?"

A mumbled group "Yay" replied the unmotivated voices.

"For today we find Flora the Eye-em."

"Eye-em? I thought she was Chintz."

"No I'm quite sure. I've been researching. She is an Eye-em. From a curious off-race of Dragons. Come along."

The wood from an Aeofel Tree was expertly whittled down from wide branch to beam. From there it was cut exquisitely as only a 30 year seasoned set of hands could cut. Masterwork tongue and groove cladding left what is now known as an offshoot. It was on this day 6523 AX that the term offshoot was coined. In fact it was this very scenario that made it famous. The leftover piece of wood was not needed. The master carpenter took it in blistered hand and threw it wildly over their shoulder. It twisted and tweened in the air over itself and over and over until it but jammed butt-first into the ground. It had landed awkwardly. Half on a step up to the infamous fighting tavern Double Axe to the Back. Half on the step, half off.

"Come along now. My first clue leads me to this brawling Tavern. We must make ourselves known here by sending a message to parties unknown."

Freddy Maybe was fighting the House champion Johnny One-eye. His partner Billy Nobody was already down and out. This was not going well for Freddy. The smell of sweat and an occasional fragrance of B.O. for Men, permeated the arena. The crowd cheered loudly waiting, baying for the Koo day graar: a special end move for Johnny One-eye.

It was too loud for Tippy to make his excellent voice heard. Luckily at the domain of Envoy school, they were trained in how to overcome this. Through the power of Thermateggy/Thormatergy/Thorermetalergy Thor, He augemted his voice.

"We have come to send a message." At that, Tippy took one step forward and the offshoot of Aeofel wood underneath his field-full plated boot snapped. Now normally if Aeofel wood snaps there is no problem. However half of the wood shot up at an incredible speed. Tippy's unbalanced form threw his chin forward. The offshoot rebounded off the throat-guard, and through velocities before now unheard of, shot forth and embedded into the singular good eye of Johnny one-eye.

The room snacked into silence. Tippy unaware of his surroundings uttered his message.

"Eye-em the Dragon. I hunt you. Eye-em the fire belcher you cannot hide from me."

After another second aflutter, the crowd stampeded in panic.....................

Last edited:

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
....and within mere seconds Tippy found himself alone in the tavern other than for his erstwhile companions and a bleeding, screaming Johnny No-Eyes thrashing in pain in the middle of the fight ring. Macfeece cautiously moved toward Johnny, then thought better of it (even blind, one random hit from those flailing arms could put Macfeece down for a month) and called Tippy over. "You can cure, right? Looks like this poor fellow needs one. Or two. Or whatever you've got and then some."

With a clatter of armour Tippy entered the fighting area and with a cheerful "There there, old boy - chin up!" proceeded to try putting a cure into Johnny. A flailing arm caught Tippy in mid-cast, however, and as the idea of "combat casting" had never entered his mind his spell was automatically interrupted...and the resulting surge of wild magic had several unexpected effects:

- it dropped a full Heal into Johnny, who went from No-Eyes to Two-Eyes in a heartbeat
- Johnny became quested to assist his healer (Tippy) for a year and a day
- it sent a message to parties unknown; however parties unknown were too busy partying and never received it, much to their later dismay
- and seven people (i.e. everyone in the room) suddenly found themselves on a misty sand beach at the foot of a jagged cliff .

Everyone looked around. Macfeece, Tippy, Albert and Tasha all recognized each other, and though Johnny knew no-one he was known - or known of - by all. But that left two other people who nobody recognized.....

Tippy (Theodore Ignatius Phillpot Price; Cleric-1; Hammer & Boomerang)
Macfeece (Wizard-1; books)
Albert (Thief-1; a few coins)
Tasha (Half-Orc/Half-Orc Fighter-1; Halberd of Dragon Summoning & Sling)
Johnny (Fighter-3; no gear at all)
???
???

Remove ads