D&D 5E GMs of EN World: What player behavior annoys you the most?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
I'll take this one step further. I had this kind of player at my table who would then go on to find ways to betray or sell out the party. Right down to wanting to make deals with the villains sometimes. This person no longer plays at my table and is also the cause of some house rules. Really grinds my gears.

That's pretty dysfunctional. You have to wonder why a player, given how many villains and monsters out there are just asking for conflict, would choose to create conflict in the party.

Oofta

Legend
Making the same dang character, campaign after campaign. How does this not get boring? As a DM, it certainly makes me have to work harder when there’s nothing new for me to springboard off of.

LOL, I have a player that does this. He plays either a female sorcerer (drow if it's allowed) that specialized in fire spells or a male halfling rogue. He used to play in LG where most people had multiple characters to play in different games. Always the same two characters.

Now excuse me, I have to go write up my dwarven fighter for my next campaign... :hmm:

Waterbizkit

Explorer
What player behavior annoys me the most? That's a tough one. If I had to pick, gun to my head...

When they forget the beer.

My players are people I've known for a long time, some of them a very long time. I don't have to put up with nonsense anymore. It's a great thing.

Anyway, I just kind of covered my eyes and pulled the trigger on this one... I should probably go read the OP and the rest of the thread...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's pretty dysfunctional. You have to wonder why a player, given how many villains and monsters out there are just asking for conflict, would choose to create conflict in the party.
Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
When a player feels like his character should be more powerful than he really is considering is build and level. Like, I have a player who always describe how her character do awesome stuff in combat (great roleplayer) like grabbing a animated statue by the neck (one handed) and throwing it 20 feet to the other side of the room, and then she gets mad when I say: ''well, you cant really do that, the guy weights like 400 lbs''. Hey, its not my fault she's a level 4 tiefling fighter with 14 str who's 65 years old, I get that she wants to imagine her PC as a real bad*ss from the start, but the game is built over 20 levels, give it some time.

I had a player that was one of the reasons we started the OotA campaign. He never played much D&D in the past but read all the RAS books. So of course he makes a drow. Fine we are in the Underdark and he's not the only one. Well every time I said "Make a Con save, make a Dex check, make a dignity save, etc" he would come back with "Drow shouldn't have to do that, after all drow can't be suprised/fall off a cliff/etc..." So in his mind all Drow are Driz'zt or Jarlaxle. They are superhuman and succeed at everything. He left the game to really pursue his drug addiction unfortunately but that was always a source of conflict. Not to mention he was a horrible player who couldn't do much else than search eBay during game time.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'll take this one step further. I had this kind of player at my table who would then go on to find ways to betray or sell out the party. Right down to wanting to make deals with the villains sometimes.
Some find this a peeve, others (like me) see it as just part of the game. It's only a problem if it's always the same player doing it with every character s/he plays.

It's also a pet peeve of mine when you have a players who doesn't pay attention, like being on their phone, and then when called upon to act asks what's going on. The rest of the group keeps up just fine. The game session isn't on your phone, so put it away.
This one I can get behind. :)

My main player annoyances:

- the player who intentionally tries to find loopholes and-or break the game, whether to his-her own benefit or not
- the player who just can't separate player knowledge from character knowledge (Mary knows Bob's character has found trouble while scouting alone but Mary's character has no way of knowing this; so shut up, Mary, and let Bob play his own way out of it!)
- the player (fortunately very rare in our group now) who doesn't show up for the game but gives neither warning beforehand nor explanation afterwards.

Lanefan

I'm probably most annoyed by players who don't get the fantastical aspects of fantasy and attempt to constantly insert their understanding of real world history/economics/science into it. Especially when they think that in doing so, they're bringing up some kind of oversight in the world's consistency without realizing that a particular phenomena exists for storytelling/conceptual/fantasy reasons. They want to constantly argue about what should/shouldn't be.

I once had a player who wanted to argue about gravity and how falling damage wasn't realistic. I simply answered, "How do you know how hard the air spirits pull you to the ground?"

Wulffolk

Explorer
Players that refuse to be rail-roared through the precise narrative that I have created for my own personal enjoyment. "What do you mean, that you choose option B? I only gave you one logical choice, so choose A!" Just being sarcastic there.

Players that don't get my sarcasm are at the top of my list.

Actually, the difficulty of finding players is my greatest pet peeve. Too many mouth-breathing card players, and not enough role-players at local "gaming" stores. Searching for players online only comes up with old posts that only get a reply months or years after the post is forgotten about.

Harzel

Adventurer
The thing that I find most disheartening is what the OP cited and others have mentioned - attending to non-game stuff, especially mobile devices. Trouble is, I feel that I bear some, though not total, responsibility for that happening.

I think the thing that upsets me that I put purely on the player is the creative player who wants a ruling on some unusual use of a feature (usually a spell) and then can't come to terms with my deciding that it doesn't work quite like they imagined they would like it to. I'm ok with disappointment, but the huffy "Well, then that spell is completely useless." or "Ok, if that's the way you want to define it." with the but-that-sure-is-arbitrary undertone really devalues my time and effort researching, thinking, and engaging with them on the issue.

Remove ads