D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: Arcane Archer Subclass

gyor

Legend
https://youtu.be/ClmO0QKDOxA

For those concerned the Arcane Archer wasn't in because of the Cavalier and Samurai being in, fear no longer, here is the video on above.

Bonus, the Favoured Soul, now confirmed to be called the Divine Soul (bit of an explanation for the name change in the video) is also in, they contrast the process of developing the Divine Soul with the process for developing the Arcane Archer.

So far almost all of my favourites seem to be in.

Arcane Archer, Horizon Walker, Divine (Favoured) Soul, and one I didn't think would get in, but am pleased to see Shadow Sorceror. All that is left of my favourites is Circle of the Sheppard and Ancestral Guardian and Storm Herald.

hejtmane

Explorer
I want the Kensi Monk, Storm Herald and Stone Sorcerer

I thought the Arcane Archer should have use Superiorty dice for arrow type damage but what ever

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Nice; guess the question now is, which other Class gets three new archetypes, or do Fighters get four...?

Last edited:

GarrettKP

Explorer
Nice; guess the question now is, which other Class gets three new archetypes, or do Fighters get four...?

Sent from my PH-1 using EN World mobile app

It is essentially confirmed Fighters won't get any more than these. Knight got rolled into Cavalier, Sharpshooter was the lowest scoring subclass from the UA so it won't be in, and both Scout and Monster Hunter got moved to Rogue and Ranger respectively. So no more Fighters.

My biggest question is does any class get MORE than 3. Phoenix, Sea and Stone sorcerers all had fans and fill in a need. I could see them all getting in, but that would mean Sorcerer gets 5, which seems like too much.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
My biggest question is does any class get MORE than 3. Phoenix, Sea and Stone sorcerers all had fans and fill in a need. I could see them all getting in, but that would mean Sorcerer gets 5, which seems like too much.

Perhaps they rolled in the 'elemental' sorcerer types into one presentation, where you can sort of pick different environmental elements? That's pretty much the approach I use in my home games, just not sure that's where WoTC would go.

As for the Arcane Archer itself, I'm very much looking forward to this one being refined - it and the Bladesinger are some of my favorites from classic DnD of my youth, and they did the latter smashingly - so we shall see how the AA holds up.

GarrettKP

Explorer
Perhaps they rolled in the 'elemental' sorcerer types into one presentation, where you can sort of pick different environmental elements? That's pretty much the approach I use in my home games, just not sure that's where WoTC would go.

Honestly this doesn't make much sense to me. We already have a Storm Sorcerer, so why should Air get its own and the other 3 be mixed into one?

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
Honestly this doesn't make much sense to me. We already have a Storm Sorcerer, so why should Air get its own and the other 3 be mixed into one?

Exactly why I said they likely wouldn't do that - I did it in my home games by just using storm as a template, and spreading it out to many different elements with a similar theme. However, WoTC has surprised me in the past, just highly unlikely.

Xaelvaen

Stuck in the 90s
I hope they got rid of the completely arbitrary 2/rest limit.

That was a bit of my complaint as well, but I'm not so sure judging by the video. I'd rather do significantly less damage more often, than more damage a couple of times - but, Mr. Mearls makes reference to 'Sniper' in the video, so I'm pretty sure they're still leaning high damage less often. He also mentioned an arrow for each school of magic, so who knows?

I guess in the grand scheme of things, you can just re-flavor Battle Master for a more versatile Arcane Archer; 4 per short instead, at considerably less damage and effect, so having the opposite (more limitation on use, more impact) would be the 'diversity' approach.

pukunui

Legend
I suggested they base the limit on Intelligence. 1 + Int mod (minimum 1), rather than a flat 2/rest. I can always make that a house rule, if needed. I suppose I'd probably have to do the same for the druid's wild shape, though, since that has the same arbitrary limit. I'd base that on something other than Wisdom, though. Maybe Con mod?

Remove ads