D&D 5E Mearls' "Firing" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
Right now the one thing I'm curious about is what [MENTION=525]JacktheRabbit[/MENTION] is really trying to say - I'm having trouble translating "aaa" into anything I can parse. :)

Lan-"bbb"-efan

I mean, a lot of times when threads like this come up I grab my head and just sort of go "aaaaAAAAAAAAAA" initially :p

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
So you really think that the existence of a consequence means that you don't have free speech? Well, then free speech doesn't exist anywhere in the world. There are always consequences that can happen.

You’re fundamentally misunderstanding the issue of the source of the consequences. If someone is providing you with a privately controlled forum, whether it’s an online message board, a radio station giving you air time, or an invitation to a party where there will be conversation, they can restrict the content of your speech and impose a punishment freely and legitimately for transgressing their restrictions. If you had free speech in those circumstances, they could not. This is why you have free speech in a public forum - because the government cannot punish you for the content of your speech (barring some court-determined special cases of non-protected speech).

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You’re fundamentally misunderstanding the issue of the source of the consequences. If someone is providing you with a privately controlled forum, whether it’s an online message board, a radio station giving you air time, or an invitation to a party where there will be conversation, they can restrict the content of your speech and impose a punishment freely and legitimately for transgressing their restrictions. If you had free speech in those circumstances, they could not. This is why you have free speech in a public forum - because the government cannot punish you for the content of your speech (barring some court-determined special cases of non-protected speech).

In all cases I'm referring to, it's the private population providing the consequences.

Last edited:

It's funny how so many of the people who are attacking Mearls now were also very active in the Kate Welch thread, that had to be closed. Or the thread about Green Ronin only hiring female authors for one of their novels, that had to be closed. Or the thread about the gay couple/ diversity in D&D, that had to be closed. Or even the thread reviewing the new Ghostbuster movie.

I see 2-3 names in all of these threads. Always taking the side against. It's never about women, no. It's always about qualifications, and free speech, and fairness to everyone, and a movie just being bad. Not women. That women are at the crux of each and every one of these conversations is coincidental because they say they're not sexist...

And all the above threads ended up locked. There's no way this thread doesn't end up locked as well. Because despite what they say there are some sexist mofos in the ENWorld community. We're a TINY gaming community, but we still have several posters who have real issues with women. So many Morrus actually had to change the terms of the site to make it clear ENWorld is and open and accepting community. And where there are a number of misogynists here, there are a tonne more out in the larger world.
And Mearls just got a look at a thwack at them on Twitter, first from the announcement tweet and then this follow-up.

Sadras

Legend
In a way, this is why I'm glad I'm not the new hire because being Black, Jewish, female and gay has would have sorts of Unfortunate Implications written all over the responses I'd predictably get.

Only if you were also a communist.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's funny how so many of the people who are attacking Mearls now were also very active in the Kate Welch thread, that had to be closed. Or the thread about Green Ronin only hiring female authors for one of their novels, that had to be closed. Or the thread about the gay couple/ diversity in D&D, that had to be closed. Or even the thread reviewing the new Ghostbuster movie.

If its any comfort, each time at least one (or more) of them sends me an indignant PM about why they're leaving the community because I won't them them post misogynistc crap on my boards, and - really bizarrely - 99% of the time they end it with the words "Good day, sir!" It's a common phrase amongst them, for reasons I can't comprehend. I've personally never heard it in real life; I myself associate it with Willy Wonka of Chocolate Factory fame, and can't help but read it in that voice.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
Nah, that’s pretty accurate. Some folks just can’t believe a woman would be both hot and into geeky things. So, they assume any attractive woman with such interests must be faking it. Based on that flawed assumption, they make inferences about said woman’s reason for the presupposed deception. And as many of these people have had negative experiences revolving around social experiences with attractive women, they assume malicious intent behind it.
Doesn't that sort of imply, then, that if a woman is not getting this kind of harrassment, it must be because these guys think she's not attractive?

I mean, the most positive spin I can put on it is "She looks like an outcast, so she must 'get it,'" but that still kind of carries with it the implication of ugly.

It's a lot like the difference between someone who inherits a house that's paid for compared to someone who's homeless. The broader issue of a society that allows one person to have property passed to them while another doesn't have a home is another conversation, but on a societal level, it's still a significant benefit to inherit property with equity, and it's a significant disadvantage not to have a home at all. The homeless person makes decisions on a daily basis that a person who inherited a house doesn't even have to think about. When the home equity beneficiary runs into trouble is when they act like they know what it's like to be homeless because they went camping one time, or get bent out of shape when a homeless person says, "Being homeless affects every aspect of my daily life in ways most people who aren't homeless don't even see."

I just want to say I'm loving this analogy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads