D&D 5E Mearls' "Firing" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not find his statement at all unclear, but if you want to complain about a lack of nuance, the reason is pretty obvious: Twitter.

The inability to express complex thoughts on Twitter has been a problem since it began. It might be slightly less of a problem with the new character limit, but I expect it will still be a while before any real changes manifest.

Why do intelligent people continue to try and use it as such? Heck, just tweet a link to a well thought out statement posted on FB or your company website? Double Heck, don't they have someone responsible for corporate communications? You know, someone who is supposed to be thoughtful and knowledgeable about communicating with the public? It's not like the response was predictable or anything.

People honestly think there’s no such thing as gender equality issues when a simple hiring generates this kind of fitshorm?

Yeah right.
Sad isn't it?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Well, those that engage in douchebag behavior should be fired from the game—they're a detriment to the hobby.

Some follow-up Tweets from [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION]:

So, if you are a rules or lore expert and do not want to be a gatekeeper, what do you do? My experience is that it helps to take a mentoring mindset, rather than coaching. Here’s a starting point: https://t.co/8uOHFnGmBZ

The key to mentoring is allowing the newcomer to remain the focus. Ask lots of questions. Focus on what the newbie wants. A coaching mindset is more goal or standards oriented. Mentoring is about the journey, while coaching is about achieving a specific outcome.

The mistake is a mindset that a newbie or woman needs someone to guide them at all, particularly with lore, most of which is pointless noise anyways. I don't care if someone gets the lords of Waterdeep wrong, or if their forgotten realms even HAS a Waterdeep. The geek purity tests are a waste of everyone's time, and just tired at this point.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The mistake is a mindset that a newbie or woman needs someone to guide them at all, particularly with lore, most of which is pointless noise anyways. I don't care if someone gets the lords of Waterdeep wrong, or if their forgotten realms even HAS a Waterdeep. The geek purity tests are a waste of everyone's time, and just tired at this point.

Well said. The amount of gaming material and lore is *immense* - especially if you don't restrict yourself to D&D. There are so many games out there. No one can know it all.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the followup.

Not everyone cares about intricacies of rules or the lore. And ones that do might not want you to mentor them. At least ask first.

Some people just want to play.

jgsugden

Legend
The best way to learn is to teach. The best way to teach is to be.

If enough people just try to be the solution, the rest will take care of itself.

The rest is more about the problem solver than solving the problem.

The feeling of superiority that many people get from being condescending to, or outright ridiculing, someone who does not have the same level of knowledge they do will never go away. And geeks and nerds are just as guilty of retaliatory condescension as anyone else who grew up being treated the same way because they did not understand sports or whatever was "cool" when they were in high school. Sadly, for some people in our areas of interest, that new player, usually female, who knows way less gets blasted with this behavior, sometimes with the person doing it not even realizing they are doing it. But there are also plenty of people in this internet age who are nothing more than trolls. Trolls who know exactly what to say to do the most damage and get the negative reaction they are craving from their victims. These are people that cross the line into true harassment, who are probably breaking laws somewhere. These are the ones our hobby would be much better without.

But, of course, this type of behavior is anywhere a high level of technical information is needed to be truly proficient. Just look at how men you are really into cars or sports treat women who try to be, or actually are, into it as much as the men are. Or look at the movie The Godfather. If you go by the jokes made around it in other movies or tv shows, deep knowledge of that movie is purely the domain of men, and women do not know anything about it, and the men are always shocked when they meet a woman who can quote it at all.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
The feeling of superiority that many people get from being condescending to, or outright ridiculing, someone who does not have the same level of knowledge they do will never go away. And geeks and nerds are just as guilty of retaliatory condescension as anyone else who grew up being treated the same way because they did not understand sports or whatever was "cool" when they were in high school. Sadly, for some people in our areas of interest, that new player, usually female, who knows way less gets blasted with this behavior, sometimes with the person doing it not even realizing they are doing it. But there are also plenty of people in this internet age who are nothing more than trolls. Trolls who know exactly what to say to do the most damage and get the negative reaction they are craving from their victims. These are people that cross the line into true harassment, who are probably breaking laws somewhere. These are the ones our hobby would be much better without.

But, of course, this type of behavior is anywhere a high level of technical information is needed to be truly proficient. Just look at how men you are really into cars or sports treat women who try to be, or actually are, into it as much as the men are. Or look at the movie The Godfather. If you go by the jokes made around it in other movies or tv shows, deep knowledge of that movie is purely the domain of men, and women do not know anything about it, and the men are always shocked when they meet a woman who can quote it at all.

I may need to turn in my man card. I know practically nothing about cars, sports, or the godfather.

pukunui

Legend
I may need to turn in my man card. I know practically nothing about cars, sports, or the godfather.
My wife knows more about cars and sports than I do. And I will confess to never having seen any of the Godfather movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases