D&D 5E Monster Mayhem: A Little Too Familiar (OOC)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Monster Mayhem!

Short adventures focusing on a few critters in the 5E Monster Manual, presented in roughly CR order. Treasure will be handled entirely randomly. XP will be rewarded based on the critters encountered and possible bonus awards for achieving the adventure goal. Each adventure will be self contained and relatively short.

We will be starting with...
A Little Too Familiar

Wendel Hobstobble, gnome apprentice to the village wizard, has a problem. Wendel has been studying the various types of creatures that manifest as familiars, attempting to be as thorough as possible in his knowledge, before selecting the perfect one. Unfortunately, the master's pet baboon is a mischievous thing and has opened all the cages. Wendel is desperate to catch all of the creatures before his master returns and is offering all he has...the 10 gp he was going to spend on casting Find Familiar plus his life savings (random CR 0-4 treasure)...to any party who can help him catch all of the creatures.

The player characters will get full XP for each creature they capture unharmed, half XP for any creature that they kill, and no XP for any creature that escapes.

Players Handbook only for characters please. Starting at level 1. Variant Humans are allowed. 27 point buy for ability scores. Starting gear for class and background, please.

Looking for about five players ideally.

Last edited:

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Well, and his savings, which will be a random CR 0-4 treasure. But, being goody-two-shoes might be helpful, too. ;) Or you may be friends with Wendel or even fellow apprentices. Its up to you what motivates your characters.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Ah, a short game by one of my favorite people on this forum...

Honestly I’m not sure if I’ll have the time to participate (I’ve got three potential games starting soon, on top of my ongoing games and one I DM for), but on the other hand this seems like very little prep time. Hmmm...

I’m in. Probably.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
Can we spend our starting gold on a few pieces of equipment?

I'm interested, thinking a human Noble fighter, like sixth in line for a title, determined to prove his worth.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Welcome, welcome. :) And, [MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION], aw thank you. :)

Anyway, yes, your starting gold can be used to supplement what comes with class and background.

Mike291

Explorer
I can give it a go. I have a bard human variant that I have already put together for another game if that works. If not I am flexible and will fill another roll.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Here is a character I have sitting around who might fit into this.

[sblock=Gob Ironfoot]
Race: Halfling (lightfoot)
Class/Level: Monk 1
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (halfling)
Init: +3
Speed: 25ft
Senses: Passive Perception: 12
Languages Common, Halfling
Background: Urchin
Ispiration: none

STATISTICS
Str 10 (+0), Dex 17 (+3) , Con 13 (+1), Int 08 (-1), Wis 14(+2), Cha 13 (+1)

AC: 15 (dex, wis)
HP: 09 (1d8 +1)
Prof. Bonus +2
Proficiencies: all simple weapons and shortswords
Tools: Reed Flute, Disguise Kit, Thieves' Tools
Feats: none
Saves: STR +2, DEX +5
Special Defenses: none

Combat:
MELEE: unarmed strike +5, 1d4+3 bludgeoning
RANGE: sling +5, 1d4+3 bludgeoning, ammunition (30/120)
RANGE: dart +5, 1d4+3 piercing, finesse, thrown (20/60)

Skills:
+3 (dex) Acrobatics
+2 (wis) Animal Handling
-1 (int) Arcana
+2 (str) Athletics*
+1 (cha) Deception
-1 (int) History
+4 (wis) Insight*
+1 (cha) Intimidation
-1 (int) Investigation
+2 (wis) Medicine
-1 (int) Nature
+2 (wis) Perception
+1 (cha) Performance
+1 (cha) Persuasion
-1 (int) Religion
+5 (dex) Sleight of Hand*
+5 (dex) Stealth*
+2 (wis) Survival
* proficient

Racial:
Ability Scores: +2 DEX and +1 CHA
Size: Small
Speed: 25 feet
Lucky: whenever you roll a 1 on an attack roll, ability check, or save you can reroll that die and must use the new roll
Brave: advantage on saves against being frightened
Halfling Nimbleness: can move through the space of any creature that is of a size catagory larger than yours
Naturally Stealthy: you can attempt to hide even when you are obscured only by a creature that is at least one size larger than you
Languages: Halfling and Common

Urchin:
Skills: Sleight of Hand and Stealth
Tools: Disguise Kit and Thieves' Tools
Feature: CITY SECRETS: You know the secret patterns and flow to cities and can find passages through the urban sprawl that others would miss. When you are not in combat, you (and companions
you lead) can travel between any two locations in the city twice as fast as your speed would normally allow.

Monk:
-Martial Arts:
-can use DEX instead of STR for attack and damage rolls with unarmed strikes and monk weapons
-use d4 in place of the normal damage of unarmed strikes or monk weapons
-when using the Attack action with an unarmed strike or monk weapon (on your turn), you can make one unarmed strike as a bonus action

Combat Gear:
sling
darts (10)

Other Gear:
small knife
clothes, common
petmouse
mother's wedding band
rope 50' hemp
Backpack
- map of the city
- bedroll
- mess kit
- tinderbox
- torches 10/10
- rations 10/10
- waterskin
Belt Pouch
- loose coins

Treasure:
GP: 10 SP: 00 CP: 00

Carrying Capacity: 150 lbs
Push/Drag/Lift: 300 lbs
Climb: 12' Swim: 12'
Long Jump: 10' & 5'
High Jump: 3' & 1.5'
Hold Breath: 2 minutes

Personality:
Trait: I think anyone nice to me is hiding evil intent.
Trait: I am horribly, horribly awkward in social situations.
Ideal: I'm going to prove that I'm worthy of a better life.
Bond: No one else would have endured the hardships I've been through.
Flaw: Gold seems like a lot of money to me, and I'll do just about anything for more of it.

Sex: Male
Height: 3'-3"
Weight: 39lbs
Hair Color: sandy brown
Facial Hair: none
Eye Color: brown
Skin Tone: tanned arms and face from being outdoors alot
Scars/Tattoos: none
Description: Gob looks a a beggar or homeless kid when first seen. He wears no shoes, has ragged and torn breeches, and a once white lenin shirt that is stained and dirty. His hair is unkempt and gets in his eyes alot, it als o covers his pointe dears making him mistaken for a human child instead of an adult halfling.

[/sblock]

[sblock=Combat]
AC: 15 (dex, wis)
HP: 09/09 HD: 1/1 (1d8+1)
Speed: 25'
Saves: STR +2, DEX +5, CON +1, INT -1, WIS +2, CHA +1
Features: none
Special Defenses: none

Combat:
MELEE: unarmed strike +5, 1d4+3 bludgeoning
RANGE: sling +5, 1d4+3 bludgeoning, ammunition (30/120)

Consumables:
torches 10/10
rations 10/10
darts 10/10[/sblock]

Remove ads