An Army in the Dungeon

Dungeons & Dragons' roots stretch all the way back to wargaming and it has a subtle influence on play that's sometimes forgotten today. Early D&D relied heavily on henchmen and hirelings, who often rounded out a group that could number as high as 20 members. This sort of play affected the kinds of D&D, from expectations on mortality rate to distribution of treasure. Picture courtesy of...

Dungeons & Dragons' roots stretch all the way back to wargaming and it has a subtle influence on play that's sometimes forgotten today. Early D&D relied heavily on henchmen and hirelings, who often rounded out a group that could number as high as 20 members. This sort of play affected the kinds of D&D, from expectations on mortality rate to distribution of treasure.

fantasy-4317999_1280.jpg

Hirelings

Hirelings were hired soldiers of a variety of types, the true cannonfodder who were risking their lives for coin. Hirelings were governed primarily by how much the PC could spend, but Charisma played a role in attracting them. Additionally, PCs could attract more by establishing a stronghold.

Morale was an important part of managing hirelings. Rather than make these NPCs suicidal drones who did whatever the PC wanted, morale was introduced to provide a mechanic to manage them without requiring the DM to control all of their movements. A PC who abused his hirelings risked them quitting.

Henchmen

Henchmen were non-player characters who had a wide range of abilities, like player characters. They could be just about anything, but their loyalties varied by their relationship with the PCs.

The distinction is significant. Advanced Dungeons & Dragons often presented classes in Dragon Magazine that were considered too powerful for players to use but could make interesting henchmen. This practice gave rise to the "NPC class" which was often used by players anyway, from anti-paladins to death masters.

Henchmen were a part of regular play -- they gained experience points at a slower rate than PCs, but they still advanced -- and were thus these additional characters were usually run by the player herself. In this regard henchman served a variety of roles, including as backup PCs should the PC die. As an extension of the PC, the number of henchmen were dictated by the PC's Charisma stat. Henchmen filled important support: healers, torchbearers, and baggage carriers who took loot out of the dungeon while the PCs continued on.

How it Affected the Game

A mass of people moving through a dungeon changes a lot of dynamics in adventure design. Loot that could be pried up, that was heavy, that was not easy to carry, could be relegated to hirelings. Traps could be numerous because few PCs would put themselves at the front of the party. Non-combat characters like wizards could use their henchmen and hirelings to fill in their own combat weakness. Henchmen and hirelings were part of the army-building that was D&D's roots, as we discussed back when "name level" was a goal for PCs to aspire to. Peter V. Dell'Orto, who co-wrote the GURPS supplement, Henchmen, said:
Personally, I think the "meatshields," "mine detector," and "potion drinker" approach shows the wargaming roots of D&D. In a persistent wargame setting, it makes perfect sense to risk your least experienced and least valuable resources on the unknown. In a game growing out of a tabletop wargame, where you are moving your characters like pieces and promoting them between expeditions when they do well and survive . . . doing anything but expending your pawns and husbanding your queens and bishops and rooks and such would be foolish.
Henchmen and hirelings complicated the game considerably from an inventory and character management perspective, something that would likely not be nearly as feasible for later (and more complicated) editions of D&D. Encounters were freer with cash as well, because it was assumed to be spread out among the (very large) party. James Maliszewski explains:
The very fact that Grenadier produced an entire boxed set filled with torch bearers, guys toting treasure chests, and even a "potion tester" (he's figure E in the image above) tells you far more about the way D&D was played back in the day than I ever could. Old school D&D was not a game in which a small band of hyper-competent heroes braved the dangers of the world with only their swords, spells, and wits to protect them. No, they had a veritable army of hirelings and henchmen to assist them and these guys all got a share of the loot in exchange for their assistance. Considering that the life expectancy of a hireling could be measured in minutes in some cases, those that survived the dungeon certainly earned their share.
Although we don't use them nearly as much today, henchmen and hirelings were an important transitional step between PCs as leaders of armies and PCs as heroes. As D&D became more focused on the party and less about the army, they fell out of favor.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
There are many more things to track now then back with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. An Advanced Dungeons and Dragons character Sheet looks like this:

<...image snipped, no point repeating it as it's in the post above...>

You notice proficiencies/skills/languages are a bit of an after thought A typical character sheet on notebook paper would have the name, physical description if that, it would have the six ability scores, Movement, Armor class, Saving throws, hit points wounds and weapons.
You'd probably also note race, class, magic items (if any) worn/carried, basic mundane gear worn/carried, night vision (if any), and spells for a caster. You'd also have a space for coins, and a place to tally xp (usually on the back of the page).

And at least half of what's on that example sheet you wouldn't bother with, at least to start. Birth rank? Honour? Liege? I'd almost say this is a Birthright sheet except it predates BR by about 6 years...

There are many more things to track now then back with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons. An Advanced Dungeons and Dragons character Sheet looks like this:

Chareter1.JPG

You notice proficiencies/skills/languages are a bit of an after thought A typical character sheet on notebook paper would have the name, physical description if that, it would have the six ability scores, Movement, Armor class, Saving throws, hit points wounds and weapons. Skills were more or less optional, these characters were perfectly playable without them, and there were no feats. in the old days, I could roll up an entire ship's crew of 100 people, just by rolling the six attribute scores 100 times, give them armor class, THACO, and hit points and they would be ready to roll.

That's a 2E Character Record Sheet. There was a 1E version (and basic D&D) versions as well. I don't remember TSR releasing a character sheet for the original game although I'm sure Judges Guild did (as Lanefan noted). There was a lot of waste space on these sheets, I think they felt they needed to fill the space with something. And there was inadequate space for some things. Mostly we used binder paper or graph paper for our PCs.

I keep what I jokingly refer to as "phone books" for NPCs in my main city, and various towns, castles, and villages. When I had nothing better to do I would roll up some NPCs, add notes on personality traits, occupation, alignment / religion, location, possible roles and uses, and update them with any contacts with PCs, etc. I still enjoy this type of stuff, I just don't have as much free time as I used to *sigh*

Almost as much fun as rolling up Traveller characters and wondering if they would survive their prior careers until "retirement" (when they became adventurers) :)

*edit* for spelling and additions...

Jhaelen

First Post
[...]
To be honest, this looks more complicated to me than a 5e character sheet:
Official 5e character sheets
On a note paper you'd only record skills that the character has actually improved, so there's little additional info required compared to AD&D.

Edit: Hmpf, how did you manage to insert an image into your post?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas Bowman

First Post
Probably the same way you just did. I copy and paste. I find an image of a character sheet on the internet, I copy, and I bring it here and paste it when the text window is set on WYSIWYG.

Jhaelen

First Post
Err. There's something wonky with the forum software, I guess. I could see the image in the preview, but after submitting the post, it was gone. I tried inserting as an image and attachment.
Now, though, I can see the image. Really strange!

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Err. There's something wonky with the forum software, I guess. I could see the image in the preview, but after submitting the post, it was gone. I tried inserting as an image and attachment.
Now, though, I can see the image. Really strange!
Maybe it just takes some time for the system to catch up? ::shrug::

Maybe ask about it in Meta, if it happens again. :)

And there, folks, is how in one campaign you set up first-level adventures for the next!

You're a first-level party and someone lets slip the location of this vast amount of leftover coin in a (supposedly) cleaned-out dungeon. Party goes there, has to deal with the minor stuff that's moved in since, and gets a nice haul...if they find it.

Lan-"and the 'finder's fee' idea is mercenary as all hell - I love it!"-efan

Pretty good idea; this goes back all the way to some of our original source material but is often forgotten or overlooked in game play but could be a campaign unto itself:

The Hobbit said:
"I don't know if it has occurred to you that, even if you could steal the gold bit by bit-a matter of a hundred years or so – you could not get it very far? Not much use on the mountain-side? Not much use in the forest? Bless me! Had you never thought of the catch? A fourteenth share, I suppose, Or something like it, those were the terms, eh? But what about delivery? What about cartage? What about armed guards and tolls?" And Smaug laughed aloud. He had a wicked and a wily heart, and he knew his guesses were not far out, though he suspected that the Lake-men were at the back of the plans, and that most of the plunder was meant to stop there in the town by the shore that in his young days had been called Esgaroth.

There might be a whole game in this: After the Dungeon ...

Remove ads

Remove ads