Wizards wanted to fire us, so can we fire them for setting laziness

Scary

Explorer
Do not want to start a political argument. Just a laughing pass at the "your fired" comment by a game designer that made huge assumptions about a very large portion of his customer base.

Well I want to fire Wizards in return. Not for political reasons or any other stupid social cause junk. My reason is quite simple.

I want to fire specifically the design team for giving us FIVE EDITIONS of DnD and still not being able to get away from the FR which to be honest are the most "lets cover every possible stereotype" bland meaningless default setting of any RPG.

Seriously, out of all the supplements released for 5E only one of them was not FR based. The second one that could have been the Elemental Evil book which was initially from Greyhawk was instead pointlessly shoehorned into FR.

Seriously if 6E comes out in a couple years and FR is still the default setting then I am done, I am moving to PF2 or any number of other options. Very tired of the Misbegotten Realms and campaign books set in them.

(And yes I know we can fire them at any time by not buying their product, this conversation is about why Wizards cannot get away from FR and keeps running back to it)
Is it not easy to change the setting for any adventure published to your setting?

Tallifer

Hero
Is it not easy to change the setting for any adventure published to your setting?

Even when I was an absolute beginner as a dungeon master, that was my first step toward freedom. I refluffed the market town into a pseudo-Arabian-Persian Caravan Serai on the route to a pseudo-India and refluffed the goblins as Thugees of a pseudo-Kali.

Bitbrain

Lost in Dark Sun
Reply to OP.

So, you aren't happy with the fact that WOTC has been focusing on the FR. Well, I'm not terribly happy about that either, but thankfully they haven't spent all of their attention on it: we now have Wayfinder's Guide to Eberron, the Guide to Ravnica will be released in a few months, and a lot of the already released 5e products (including the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide) have mentioned and/or referenced some aspect of Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Dark Sun, and Eberron.

I'm also given to understand that not all of their "in-house" games take place in the Forgotten Realms: last month (I think) Mike Mearls released some information online about his own homegame, which is set in the Points of Light/Nentir Vale setting.

And finally, with the upcoming Dungeon of the Mad Mage, they might just be giving us a real glimpse of those other settings. They've mentioned that they intend each level of Undermountain to be its own distinct setting (the idea being that Halaster has actually teleported creatures and ecosystems from across the multiverse into his megadungeon) . . . which will be homebrew fuel for this newbie DM.

Oofta

Legend
I'm picturing dire beavers warring against maple treants.

. . . And I have a place for that in my Borderlands dungeon. They're going into Three Horns Valley.

Have you no pity? If the beavers win where will it stop? Think of the pancakes man! Only a monster would deprive honest-to-goodness-Tim Hortons-loving-pancake-eaters of maple syrup! :rant:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Have you no pity? If the beavers win where will it stop? Think of the pancakes man! Only a monster would deprive honest-to-goodness-Tim Hortons-loving-pancake-eaters of maple syrup! :rant:
If the violence continues, events are going to turn tragically hip.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I'm also given to understand that not all of their "in-house" games take place in the Forgotten Realms: last month (I think) Mike Mearls released some information online about his own homegame, which is set in the Points of Light/Nentir Vale setting.
Oh gods. Can you imagine what the suicide rate at WotC would be if their unofficial games took place in FR too? That would be like having your company's CEO as a perma-player in your game.

Well I want to fire Wizards in return.
(Takes the red pill.)
"We're gonna need a signal soon, Tank!"
"He's going into arrest!"
(Goes down the rabbit hole.)
Welcome, Jack, to the real (RPG) world.

I want to fire specifically the design team for giving us FIVE EDITIONS of DnD and still not being able to get away from the FR which to be honest are the most "lets cover every possible stereotype" bland meaningless default setting of any RPG.

. . . Seriously if 6E comes out in a couple years and FR is still the default setting then I am done, I am moving to PF2 or any number of other options. . .
I've read a handful of FR books. It might be meaningless, but it's not bland. I recommend you start shopping for "any number of other options," since 6th Ed is guaranteed to use FR as its default setting.

Remove ads